No point in running LFR for mog

Blizzard needs to changes the loot rules for lfr so even if u have a higher lvl piece u can roll need on the lower item.

Otherwise highly gear player will not bother and lfr will only have players in gear range. Which makes the whole run slower.

Okay I don’t to be like “wow ur a jerk taking loot away from low ilvl” - this is the case for a lot of people who actually play this game for transmog.

I have not personally tested this and I would like to know the outcome. Is it based on the >currently equipped item< or is it based on the >item you have equipped previously< ? Would it be possible to trade out the item you are selectively going for for another and leave your high ilvl piece in the bank to gain favor for the roll?

Otherwise the other option is to re-level a character of the same armor type and only gear the spots you aren’t looking for those targeted items. Then do LFR and pray.

Alternative is begging whomever wins the item (if it is trade-able) if you can have it. Often times it is not tradable due to bop if >ilvl is higher than previously equipped< but there’s always the chance.

Best solution IMO would be the following (aiming to be fairest to all)

Item drops, you have higher ilevel, you can roll need, and you simply get the mog, the item still remains up for grabs on need rolls for people that actually need the equipment. Long term, this can help LFR populate with better geared characters, people get their mogs, and players get their chance on items.

You have to equip the item in order to learn the transmog, thus making it non-tradable.

Agreed, I didn’t explain my thoughts on that, sorry. I’m talking a code change that would spawn either a token for the mog, or just add the mog straight up to your learned appearances. Basically, creating a phantom item for those with higher gear, incentivizing high geared players to LFR, and not depleting the actual gear drop pool.

I kind of wish killing the bosses at each specific difficulty level would just unlock the respective tier set mog, but blizz loves the grind and $$$ too much. Nice things aren’t allowed.

Once you don’t need the catalyst anymore you can grind +2s for gear to transform into tier. Stop stealing it from my alts.

Does this not also give the mythic version of the transmog?

It’s either the 415 or 411 version of it that gives the mythic transmog, I think 402 is the heroic one, I’m not sure what ilvl it switches from LFR to normal but the 376 from +2s should give the LFR version.

Interesting, last xpac I always received the mythic version of the sets when converting. Did they change it? Or it’s possible my item’s ilvl was already high enough to gift me the mythic sets?

Honestly no one wants to spend a weekly 1 time reward on a lower items piece until weeks from now, but that may have to be the choice for people who are unable to pilfer from alts.

My thought process is once they unlock valor you will be able to spam 2s for valor, you can grab any piece at bottom level, convert it and upgrade through and get all 4 for transmog. This likely won’t be until 10.0.7 which is probably a month away and then this gives you probably another month or 2 until 10.1 when the ilvls go up.

A month from now you will have more than enough catalyst charges it shouldn’t be a big deal any more.

In Shadowlands, you got the LFR/Normal/Heroic/Mythic version of the set when you used the Catalyst. Upgrading an item across thresholds would unlock the “higher” version automatically.

If you were only putting +15 Vault items into the Catalyst, yes, you would have only gotten the Mythic version while lower ilvl items would have had different versions.

A month from now we will all have 5 Catalyst charges. If you are using any of them for your actual gear and set bonuses, you will have fewer to spare. Even if you don’t have to use any of them and can freely spend all 5, that’s still not enough to finish a set, AND unless the Valor cap is lifted, I’m not sure it’s actually possible to have enough Valor to upgrade every slot’s 1/13 item all the way. And THAT is assuming you haven’t been/aren’t using any Valor on your actual gear for power.

Yeah but that’s what I was implying with my last statement, people don’t want to wait that long to be beautiful.

I mean maybe if you get 0 tier from vault or raids by then sure. We should have probably 10-12 charges by the time 10.1 comes around, plenty to spend on getting those appearances.

If valor doesn’t get uncapped this season I apologize for the bad advice, but in all likelihood it will be uncapped soon.

Even if you’re getting tier from Vault RNG or whatever, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get it in a nice spread out way to unlock cosmetics. You could get a tier gloves this week from raid, get an M+ glove at a higher ilvl, decide to Catalyse it for an upgrade while retaining 4-pc, and then later on have a tier glove drop in your M+ vault. And then never see tier drops for a while.

Using spare Catalyst charges on cosmetics is a fine approach, it’s just not something that’s necessarily going to be “spare” for a while. We had the luxury in Shadowlands season 4 of basically have 40+ charges or whatever since the charges didn’t reset in S4, but that’s a far cry from, say, right now when many people are going to finally complete their 2-set.

Once you have 4 set in upgradeable m+ armor or mythic raid level all the rest is spare. Should be a max of 4 weeks for that, and that’s if you have 0 vault luck. This will leave plenty of time for the season to finish getting that LFR transmog and should leave everyone with a spare 5-8 catalyst charges for transmog purposes.

The real debate is who deserve the piece TODAY, the new player who is completing their 4 set or the mythic raider who wants an LFR transmog. In a month either one could use catalyst charges to fulfill those needs, so the point would be moot. My argument would be that transmog is less important for immediate use, you having a slightly different color won’t affect your ability to play the game while the newbie getting a 4 set could mean the difference between their guild clearing a boss fight or them pushing a slightly higher key.

But how useful something is going to be for someone is a question for the Master Loot system. The only question in a Group Loot scenario should be who won the roll.

That’s only really true in a tiny ideal world. Glossing over that a tiny portion of people are doing Mythic raid at a level to get all 4 pieces, plenty of people will find themselves in a situation where the correct play might be to Catalyse a higher ilvl piece to make it tier rather than spending even more Valor on the lower ilvl tier piece to get its ilvl up.

I mean, if we’re getting into “real debate” territory, there’s absolutely zero reason that upgrades for players has to compete with appearance unlocks for players.

That separation could be done through a separate Transmog roll option, which if I win unlocks the skin for me, and passes the actual item onto whoever wins the Need roll. Or it could be done through some form of currency that the boss drops that lets you get whichever skin you want. Or a questline to unlock the entire ensemble by doing content within the raid. And many more potential methods …

Coming up with random hypotheticals and possibilities for blizzard to do is not a debate. The debate would be what constitutes need vs greed. My thought would be need is an item that increases player power and greed is for all other purposes. Transmog narcissists argue that they need to look pretty. Blizzard sides with player power, and gives you an alternate path to achieve the transmog you want.

To your other point, how many times are you going to upgrade the same slot to tier? Maybe 2 if you get really unlucky. And what are you going to spend all your valor on besides maxing out your tier slots? You can upgrade any non tier slot higher than 415 with crafted gear. If anything I would argue the person who upgrades the same slot to multiple tier pieces and doesn’t use valor on it would be the outlier because any logical person can see valor should be spent on trinkets/tier and maybe the ring from COS depending on class.

The absolute worst case scenario you get 0 tier in your vault and 0 tier slots to upgrade until 3 weeks from now after you have upgraded 4 dungeon drops to tier slots and for some reason spent 0 valor on them. Again, this would be the outlier, not the norm, the norm would be someone has no use for catalyst charges except on alts by week 4 and can use them for transmog purposes.

Edit: And you forget, catalyst charges are account wide, if you really really really really need to look pretty, make a new toon of the same class, do +2s on them and upgrade the 376 drops to tier.

It’s not really up for debate. It’s been defined by Blizzard according to what you can equip for your class and spec.

Your thought is only relevant if you’re the Master Looter. Otherwise it’s up to the dice.

Blizzard only made ilvl a consideration for tier tokens. There is no restriction on any other gear, so I don’t think you’ve reached the right conclusion on Blizzard’s stance.

If you want to decide who needs which gear more than other people then you need a Master Loot system. If you’re in Group Loot, each person gets to decide whether or not they want to roll need on the loot they’ve helped earn and then the dice decide who wins. It’s not really up for debate. That’s how it works.