No life exists in Azeroth at all, would the old gods have escaped in time?

It seems like their prisons got weaker and weaker. Would eventually they have all failed anyways?

I mean, no life implies that Azeroth herself is also dead. In which case the thing that empowers the prisons would run dry, so yes.

Hmm ok let’s say there is life, but no adventurers meddling and fighting the gods back.

I’m like 95% sure C’thun’s prison was weakening already by the time of the War of the Shifting Sands, considering he had enough influence to build a potentially world threatening bug army and was only stopped by a combo of the Dragonflights and Kaldorei, not to mention the Yogg-blood that was popping up all over Northrend without the Keepers to tighten the cage.

Plus C’thun is already almost free by the time we kick him back into his cage since he can stick his head far enough outside to get stabbed in the first place.

Then Yogg’s room in Ulduar is resplendent with broken chains emblematically showing he was nearly free purely through his own efforts on Loken and the Keepers by the time we got there.

They’d definitely have gotten out on their own by now. Maybe not N’zoth, since he seems to have been a bit more reliant on mortal servants to weaken his prison than the others, but yeah.

The problem was the Titans did not really understand the Void. This means they ended up severely underestimating its ability to corrupt and not putting enough safeguards in place. Eventually the old gods would of broken free, likely.

2 Likes

Adventurers aren’t the problem. Put N’Zoth (the weak one, remember) aside for a moment.

C’thun was broken out of his prison by the Qiraji, a mutated form of the Aqir that his corruption created.

Yogg-Saron’s jailbreak plan revolved around corrupting Titan Keepers.

Either one of those plans would have worked out fine had mortals not interfered.

It was actually clarified more in the Chronicles. Cho’gall used a ritual to completely shatter C’Thun’s chains. That Old God was free and unbound. But countless years of dormancy and imprisonment left him weaker. And the world responded to it instantly after it happened so we stopped C’Thun in time before he could regain his full strength.

Cho’gall got to Yogg too and weakened his chains, but couldn’t actually break them. But it was enough that Yogg could expand his influence. He had a tenuous hold over the Keepers, but after the locks were weakened he latched on with an iron grip and swiftly captured all of Ulduar under his will. From there he set to work himself breaking the rest.

And N’Zoth’s prison likely suffered heavy damage from the Sundering. So they had mortal help to get out in recent years. But I think given enough time, even if it took thousands of more years, they’d eventually have gotten out anyways. Their power is like a corrosive disease and the titan-forged could still fall under their influence.

1 Like

Chogal really got around I see

Yeah probably. With the titans absent nobody would be around to do maintenance on the prisons and nothing lasts forever. They’d simply have to keep chipping away at the defences over thousands of years Andy Dufresne style.

If everyone is dead but the old gods, the story is over at that point and the question becomes moot.

i mean the world would have had titan keepers and constructs to slap them

They probably would of corrupted elementals and used them to free themselves.