No Justice for the Kaldorei (9.1 Spoilers)

Night Elves is one of those races people either love or despise. I am not sure why. They are treated so poorly by Blizzard, there isn’t much reason to love or hate them.

Something something Night Elves are fed with a golden spoon something something about being Blizzard’s chosen special children something something Goblins deserve to rule the world with their super mega smarts and technological power something something.

I’m more referring to the practice of being an obvious Horde booster, but taking to a Night Elf character to denigrate Night Elves and shoot down Night Elf fans. It might work for a handful of posts, but the direction of the argumentation quickly becomes apparent and it becomes obvious that we’re dealing with someone whose interests are actually against Night Elves.

Like, do these people think that they’re being slick or something?

The short answer is yes.

Probably why people like You and I spark as much ire in Horde posters as we do. We are formidable, not the fabricated trope of the NEFPA that would be easily dismissible.

It varied from various tavern based affairs to storyteller nights at the Brill cemetery. On Earthen Ring at least, Brill was considerably more popular than the Undercity itself.

As far as Darnassus went on Earthen Ring, my guild was almost the only group that held regular events there, including our biweekly meetups at the Gate Pavillion which straddled the zone border between Darnassus and Teldrassil. (Made it handy for getting local announcements to both zones.)

The abbreviation is ridiculous anyway, because the first ten posts I made with this character, I was being called NEFPA, despite not meeting the criteria.

By people with an ilevel lower then mine own, calling my character an alt. :confused:

1 Like

When they start calling you a NEFPA, you’ve won.

I mean, that acronym is just an extension of the age-old attempt to isolate the complaints in a vain attempt to assert that nothing is wrong. There’s nothing new in that.

Oh. Well, it usually wasn’t tavern Rp in Darnassus I observed. Though it was there without a doubt, don’t get me wrong. I saw Druidic mentoring, military strategy/ exercises. Obviously philosophical debates, healing, Religious/Elune Rp just to make a few of the things that took place in Darnassus, amongst the Elven population alone. They also had a ton of Rp with interacting with other races.

The most I can say I’ve seen from Brill, ever is about what you mentioned. Drunk/stoned/drug Rp, or cringe violence. Maybe a ‘rave’ somehow in the Wow setting, but to be honest that’s being generous, and I can’t say for certain that happened in Brill. I honestly wonder if there’s anyone there on WrA right now, hmmm…

I mean, I wouldn’t run around denigrating other RP spots - but I tend to believe that the best measure of whether an RP spot is up to snuff is how much random RP it can and does support - as guilds can pick to have events anywhere. Ironforge for instance was the host of a weekly event on my server, but I wouldn’t accuse Ironforge of being well trafficked.

At least as long as I was RPing - which was from Wrath-WOD, I could find random RP in Darnassus pretty easily. I remember there usually being people around who you could interact with, as well as regular and semi-regular events.

There isn’t any qualifier for me to render a spot as ‘up to snuff’ when it comes to Rp, except that it’s accessible, and reasonable for a character to be there… Just because a place is high traffic doesn’t immediately mean that it’s a place where there will be high quality Rp going on, or even be a place that can sustain the environment.

I would quickly denigrate the argument that Darnassus was a ghost town in comparison to Brill, of all places. Of course, it’s not even unfair for me to say. Sure, maybe on Earthen Ring Brill was the focal point of Rp activity, but that’s entirely foreign, and false on atleast 3 Rp servers I know of, and I would wager that on their best days IF, and Darnassus looked more like an actually inhabited city, then Brill has ever looked as an inhabited shanty town of the few living dead it supports. :stuck_out_tongue:

I partially disagree. I think the ability of a place to independently keep up a certain critical mass is important. Obviously if it attracts the wrong crowd (and we all know what I’m referring to with that), that’s one thing, but it’s also important that a place offers up a realistic venue for people to run into each other. Darnassus was great for that not only for that reason - but because it did so in a way that allowed people who were looking for Night Elf RP to find it.

Well, okay. That doesn’t really change much from what I’ve said, although I would still disagree, and say that just because a place is busy, doesn’t make it wonderful. I atleast know what you’re saying though. There are lots of great places for Rp that have no one in them. (Like Brill on every server except Earthen Ring apparently.)

But, yeah Darnassus was inhabited year round on the servers I’ve played on, at almost all times of the day with NE. Saying that Darnassus was eh ghost town compared to Brill is a total joke from the servers I play on, but then again, they weren’t Earthen Ring.

Nope, this is just wrong. Silvermoon was almost completely destroyed during the Scourge invasion, the city in WoW is mostly the result of a rebuilding effort on Rommath’s part that takes up a little more than half of the footprint the city had prior to its fall. Western Silvermoon is still in ruins in game, in a setting more than five years after it fell, and as far as we know has still not been rebuilt. Eversong was overrun with Scourge afterward, and the survivors had to fight to reclaim it, with the Ghostlands still not being completely under their control at the beginning of Burning Crusade, years later.

You’re right that it wasn’t destroyed to reduce the number of cities in the game, but wrong that it wasn’t destroyed out of spite. Arthas went out of his way to destroy as much of Quel’Thalas as he could on his march to the Sunwell specifically because he was furious at how much resistance he was getting: “Citizens of Silvermoon! I given you ample opportunities to surrender, but you have stubbornly refused! Know that today, your entire race and your ancient heritage will end! Death itself has come to claim the high home of the elves!” In fact, that spite is exactly what Blizzard was trying to parallel with Sylvanas in the War of Thorns, as part of her “look, she’s just like Arthas now!” development. I understand being angry and frustrated at Blizzard and how they’ve treated the Kaldorei, and I understand being skeptical that they’ll do anything to give Night Elf fans any sort of satisfying conclusion or closure, let alone justice or retribution. But you don’t need to dismiss or misrepresent the actual canon background of the Sin’dorei to make your case.

What you believe is irrelevant, the 90% figure is canon and has been reiterated in game recently by Kael’thas Sunstrider himself. The massive number of casualties were also shown in game through the Blood Elf heritage armor quest line, not to mention all the dead elven spirits haunting the Ghostlands. I don’t care what else you argue over, but don’t you dare minimize the actual stated canon of how bad the fall of Quel’Thalas was. That backstory is fundamental to the progression of the Sin’dorei. How dare you try to take that from those of us who are Blood Elf fans when you complain of Blizzard doing the same to you. You of all people should know better.

I can’t speak for what Aurirel’s intent was in pointing out the 90% statistic in the first place, since I’m not them. However, I view it as a perfectly valid thing to mention in the context of Ethriel arguing that Blizzard might completely remove playable Kaldorei from the game since they’ve suffered so many losses. We don’t have a concrete number for what percentage of the Kaldorei were killed in the events of BfA as far as I’m aware. We do have a canon percentage for how many were killed in the fall of Quel’Thalas, and yet Sin’dorei are still playable despite their canon low numbers, to say nothing of the Ren’dorei, who are even fewer still. I’d be absolutely shocked if Blizzard went so far as to remove existing player characters from their game, which is what Ethriel suggested.

11 Likes

I noticed that you flat-out ignored the comparative point that I was making in favor of refocusing the argument purely on this point. Did you think I wouldn’t notice that you did that? Because I’m not going to let you.

Trying to claim that the Blood Elves had a unique experience in having their lands decimated in Warcraft 3 is ahistorical. It happened to the Night Elves too. The difference here is that Blood Elves didn’t have to, on top of that, suffer three more invasions at the hands of an endlessly jeering opposing faction with tragedy heaped on to make us feel even worse about it.

Right back at you - considering you’re the one bandying around this point in order to minimize and shut down discussion on what may have been the most mass-marketed act of tragedy carried out at the hands of your faction in the history of the franchise in a thread that’s specifically about Night Elf issues.

I doubt that Blizzard will actually remove the Night Elves, but if they remove everything that people liked about them, uproot their entire culture, establish them as permanent refugees, and otherwise destroy everything that would have made anyone want to roll a Night Elf, then I fail to see the difference. For me, the concept that I wanted to play IS dead. I’m certainly aware of many people who have stated that they used to love Night Elves before things like Cataclysm, MOP, and yes, BFA made them unpalatable to them. I know people who left the game over it, and who won’t buy Blizzard products again over it.

So as far as I’m concerned it’s a difference without a distinction. If the race exists but it’s become so unappealing that people don’t want to play it, then while they may not be technically dead, they’re constructively dead. I am quite confident in saying that at this point in time, the Night Elves are indeed constructively dead.

And yes, before you reach for this red herring: feel free to apply that concept to other races that you feel are in the same boat for other reasons. That they are does not remove our concerns.

5 Likes

We can also add the fact, that earlier in the day, those same night elf poster where hating on someone on the behave that giving to the horde a few night elf (undead) was just unacceptable since the night elf was also hit heavily and are already to few.

But now, going on with the comparison that you’ve made, they sure look ok with a horde race getting genocide AND still losing a few of those 10% survivor to the alliance with the void elf…

Its only unacceptable if its against the night elf.

4 Likes

What part of “I don’t care what else you argue over” did you not understand? The only thing I took issue with was your blatant and egregious downplaying of how bad the fall of Quel’Thalas was in order to make your argument more convenient, because it is insulting to all Blood Elf fans who enjoy the Sin’dorei’s story of overcoming tragedy. It is unbelievable hypocritical of you to complain about how Blizzard ruined your player fantasy as a fan of the Kaldorei (which is a completely legitimate grievance, I’m not arguing that in the slightest) by attempting to do the exact same thing to Blood Elf fans.

I never argued this. I am not whomever you seem to have confused me with.

Again, I do not care what else you argue about. I am not trying to shut down discussion. This is a thread about Night Elf issues–so don’t go about misrepresenting Blood Elf history to make your point. This is literally the only reason I bothered commenting. I’m not trying to argue “what about Sin’dorei, they’ve had it bad too,” I just don’t want you to dismiss or downplay what’s canon because it’s bad for those of us who specifically like playing Blood Elves because of that backstory. It’s gross, not necessary to your argument, and makes you look like a hypocrite when you complain about how other’s arguments affect your own player fantasy.

8 Likes

Then you need to pay better attention to the conversation, and the claim that you’re giving cover to.

If Blood Elf posters are going to come in here and minimize what we went through, I am going to point out the full context. If you’re upset by that, then take it up with them.

If you’re upset with me doubting the sincerity of the 90% statistic, you should know three things:
1.) I shoot down similar statements coming from our side all the time.
2.) The actual number doesn’t matter to anything you described about the Blood Elven fantasy of overcoming tragedy. It also has no continuing relevance to what the Blood Elves can actually do, which is why I find it an un-serious figure.
3.) It is better that they walk back that figure. It causes more questions than answers, and it’s not doing anything for the core mechanics of the story. There’s nothing wrong with establishing that the Blood Elves’ numbers and ability comes from them weathering the scourge better than was previously asserted.

2 Likes

What, the canon claim that 90% of the high elves were killed? I don’t need to cover anything, you’re the one disagreeing with established canon.

The full context was you and one other poster downplaying the history of the fall of Quel’Thalas after a poster with a Blood Elf avatar posted a canon fact about it. Stop making excuses about your behavior towards me because other players who happen to post on Blood Elf avatars are jerks. I don’t care about them, just because I’m a blood elf main doesn’t mean I think exactly like them or approve of their arguments. Or would you rather I switch my forum avatar to whatever race might engender more sympathy to my cause? Vandraeda is my first character and my main, and I consistently only post using her as my avatar unless I want to briefly show off how cool I think one of my alts are.

Okay, now you’re actively arguing for something that would ruin my player fantasy. I like playing a character whose people were almost wiped out in an act of agression, it’s why I have more Sin’dorei characters than any other race. There’s an inherent defiance in continuing to exist after a monster tried to wipe out your entire species that I find appealing, and I doubt I’m the only one. Downplaying that or retconning it would undermine the reason I chose to play those characters, not to mention undermining some of my favorite in-game content. I don’t blame you for being angry at Blizzard when they undermined your player fantasy for the Kaldorei, so why would you ever advocate for the same thing to happen to someone else?

You have plenty of good points about Blizzard being horrible to Kaldorei fans, and I agree with quite a few of them. I have no quarrel with you there. All I’m asking is that you not minimize the backstory of the other elven nation of genocide survivors in the process. It’s not necessary to your arguments, and you’re advocating for other players to suffer the same loss of character fantasy that you are very rightfully angry about. As one of the players who would be strongly affected by such a change, I must protest against it.

4 Likes