No free mount for Classic?

I noted I received a free gift of a unique mount today for my six-month subscription. That’s great except it can’t be used in Classic. Why not come up with a commensurate gift for those who do play Classic, then? Seems unfair to just ignore all those thousands of users. A 16-slot bag? A special guild tabard? Hell, even a dancing cockroach pet would be more useful than a mount for a game we’re not playing.

Go back to Retail.

20 Likes

Fair = same for everyone. It’s been fair. In Classic, people spend effort to get reward, not dollars

5 Likes

You pay for Retail to get access to Classic.

Why do you think you should get a Classic item when you are paying for Retail?

1 Like

Your gift is you get to experience the same hellhole we do for the same price we do

7 Likes

for retail.

1 Like

Probably because WOW Classic is more a museum piece, and not the place to be inserting things that never existed in Vanilla.

Probably also because right now WOW Classic is cruising right along as far as player volume and retention. It doesn’t need bait to keep players subscribed during a period where the last patch of one expansion is played out and the new expansion / pre-release content isn’t out. There is no long-term content either. Once Naxx is out, that’s it. So offering someone a dancing cockroach to resubscribe when they quit because there was nothing to do, and no plans to add more to do, would be the height of silliness.

Also, you may not be playing Retail, I may not be playing Retail, but there are players who play both and players who only play Retail.

2 Likes

You get your free mount at level 40.

3 Likes

You may not be playing it, but that’s the game you’re paying for…

Right now there are no subscriptions for Classic. If you subscribe to retail, you can play both games.

It is a reasonable suggestion to change this – to allow Classic-only subscriptions. Then there might be “free gifts” and other sales gimmicks for Classic, and there might be tokens in Classic too.

But the first step is charging money for Classic subscriptions.

Good point. Classic DOES NOT have an implied commitment to “improve it” or “fix problems” or "make it a better game.

In fact, there is an implied promise that this will NOT happen – Classic won’t be changed to make it “better for 2020 players”.

Maybe that is why it is free.

You now get to use store bought mounts in classic.

Their in game model for classic however is just a big red ? Box and you gain 0% movespeed from it.

There you go.

I’m absolutely sure that’s not how blizzard views it. They have data that tells them how many people only play classic, how many play both and how many only play retail. They even have graphs of those who play both indicating the amount of time they play each. When ever they make decisions about their games that’s the data they use.

If you want welfare go play retail

1 Like

didn’t read past the title, huh?

I remember getting my zhevra mount from recruit a friend when I first started playing way back in the day. But no I don’t foresee them introducing any kind of free ‘thanks for subscribing’ mounts in Classic.

“Blizzard” has hundreds of people, who “see things” in many different ways. But you probably mean that decision-makers at Blizzard “see” Classic as a separate game, and make decisions based on that.

That may be correct, for some decisions. But what Beupeep says is still a fact. No matter how some people “see” things, it is a legal fact. You do not pay Blizzard a subscription fee for Classic.

There are various state and federal laws about companies and their paid subscription customers. You can’t contact government agencies and demand a change to Classic under those laws. By law, Classic is free.

1 Like

You’re 100% wrong, sorry.

De jure or de facto. I have no idea what kind of legal fiction blizzard creates for their different games. You probably don’t either but I suppose it’s possible you’re a tax attorney. But if they de facto treated classic and retail as if all subscriptions were retail subscriptions and classic was free and therefore being run at a loss they’d have to be the stupidest company on earth.

I got a free mount in classic by picking the right class. /wink