No disrespect but eso can release xpac every year

Eso releases an expansion every summer.

Why can’t Blizzard do this with World of Warcraft?

Eso does a static release plan
Free QoL update in winter
Expansion $40 in spring
Instanced dlc $20
Zone DLC $20

That’s roughly $80

WoW ask for $50+ $180 a year and the expansions comes out every 1.75 year.

We could argue blizzard gives quarterly updates to justify the price but so does eso

4 Likes

ESO is garbage so who cares what they do.

34 Likes

That’s subjective.

It’s honestly one of the biggest mmo’s in the west.

9 Likes

1 expansion a year is way too rushed IMO.

Especially because WoW has limited-time rewards.

8 Likes

Because then WoW would turn into a generic MMO instead of it’s own thing.

8 Likes

FTFY. :sunglasses:

1 Like

They tried the yearly xpack thing with WoD. To say it was a disaster was an understatment.

4 Likes

Mist to WoD was the biggest gap(25 months) for an expansion… also legion after WoD was good??

you want to know why we don’t have yearly releases? the last time that happened we got WoD and 13 months of hellfire citadel.

6 Likes

Wod was thoer attempt. They said they wanted to try yearly xpacks when WoD launched. Mists to WoD had that big gap because metzen was grabbing everyone with a pulse to work on titan… We know how that ended. I just find it baffling that they had no plans in place for wow during that time.

Damn it, you beat me to it.

3 Likes

There’s a YouTuber who makes these 10 hour long lore videos about the Elder Scrolls series and the game’s lore, and even he says “ESO makes you wish you were playing WoW”.

I’d much rather play some insane Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind mod or Skyrim mod than a subpar MMO that’s only leeching off the Elder Scrolls IP.

4 Likes

WOD was 25 months after mist release.

That’s the same gap of WOTLK to Cata

Why do you want yearly releases?

but hellfire citadel was the single longest raid tier we have ever had and it was in an expansion already lacking in content.

Clearly none of yall have played ESO or at least played it very long. ESO “expacs” are very very small compared to WoW’s expacs, think a little larger than Mechagon island. ESO has a fairly steady content release but it doesn’t match wow.

The vast majority of end game fights in ESO are patchwerk stack fights.

The real advantage of ESO is a better transmog system, better artwork, and easily accessible end game. The rate of content release is not better than WoW they just do it in smaller chunks.

Further the stuck in combat bug for WoW has always existed for ESO, along with a host of other bugs. Turns out better artwork comes with the cost of performance.

3 Likes

debatable. the WoW artstyle is timeless. It has its’ own distinct style while ESO tried to go for the realistic look.

2 Likes

ESO is very involved and they work very hard to keep content rolling out. ESO is the only game I play over WoW, I play both, but ESO has much more character customization options, outfits, dye system, and class can use any weapon, etc. They really let you play how you like. WoW does not offer anything like this. Transmog is ok but not very good compared to other games.

Example: People want Dark Rangers in WoW, ESO would have at least given a skin for that long ago. Their forums are full of Community Managers who speak with the players. Very kind atmosphere there compared to WoW.

People asked for Warden and Necro classes on ESO, and that is exactly what they got. People are happy because Zenimax listens to the player. Works well to give the people what they ask for, since that is how business works :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Guilty. I have no desire.

2 Likes

Yea…yearly expansions won’t work for WoW.

WoD was their hand at it, which resulted in a ton of stuff getting cut which hurt that expansion drastically. They had to rush it. The end product wasn’t great. It wasn’t good. It was a subpar mess that destroyed Blizzard’s reputation(in my opinion at least).

Two years is a good spot. It gives time to do stuff, enjoy each tier for a bit. Take a break doing your own thing if you want, plenty of time to work on meta achievement’s for raids/zones, etc…

I mean, can you imagine yearly expansions? Seriously. Here is your starting tier. Followed by, kay here is your second tier. No more content this expansion, have fun! Yea, that doesn’t work. You get rushed content that is subpar and no time to take your time and really enjoy yourself, which is crucial considering all the limited time stuff involved.

You’ve seen all the Mage Tower threads, can you imagine how many more their would be complaining about it if people only had two-three months total? With half of that being gated behind the Mage Tower even being built? lol.

What about the Mythic guilds who farm the end boss getting their raiders the Mythic only mount before it drops to 1% next expansion? Welp…looks like only the GM and a few officer buddies will get it, sorry raiders. We can’t farm it, next tier is coming out in 2 weeks. lol.

Lets think about BFA now. Sorry friends, you only get a year to try for all the RNG pets, mog, toys and mounts from Islands. Have fun!

So much more, so yea. Yearly releases don’t work for WoW. Not with the sheer amount of stuff available and nature of limited time rewards.

1 Like