No clue what I'm doing

Okay, so I’ve been back since the whole Coors Light Virus came about. I got world quests, opened up the naga isle, got my cloak…now what? There’s this gateway to do these cursed visions…and I get stomped every time I go in there. Forget killing the boss, I don’t even get to the boss, everything swarms me and I get pwned. Do I have to do more world quests to gear up or something? It seems like this it the way to progress, but I’m completely lost.

You do need to be careful in the cursed visions, it’s easy to get swarmed in those. Stay focused on your objective and move carefully.

Your gear isn’t bad, but keep an eye on world quests & emissaries - you should be able to upgrade. Most of my gear slots are 435-440 epics and I got all of that through normal casual type activities - no raiding or mythics. You don’t need to do all the world dailies - I cherry pick & do only the ones that give upgrades. The daily quests associated with the N’Zoth asssults will also be a good source of gear.

The first thing you need to do is pull carefully. Until you’re more used to what all the mobs do, don’t try to sneak by stuff, just the kill packs in your way one at a time. If you’re taking a ton of damage and didn’t pull more than one group, you probably missed a mechanic you need to handle.

For example, in the first area of Orgrimmar, you’ll get the flesh beasts that have a cast that causes them to hulk out and hurt a lot. Interrupt or dispel it or be ready with defensive if you get a couple of them buffed on you at the same time. Don’t stand in the explosion when you kill one of the oozes.

The two guards in front of Thrall’s room have two important abilities. They have a break will (or something like that) that is a frontal attack that will chunk your life. Run behind them when they cast it. They also have a horrify, that I believe can be interrupted. (And is mostly dangerous as you can’t position as well for the other attack.) Burst one down to minimize the time you spend dealing with mechanics from both of them.

Don’t head out of the first area until you’ve leveled up your cloak a bit (as well as your titanic research.) For the first few upgrades, you only need to kill the boss.

Horrific Visions are designed so that as you do stuff in them, you get better at them. There are two main systems at work here.

The first is your cloak. The quests you get to upgrade it are done in the Visions, and some of those upgrade steps will increase your sanity drain while in the visions. (It maxes out at 80% sanity loss reduction, which effectively increases your sanity bar by 5x.)

There are 3 tiers of cloak upgrades. For levels 1-5, you need a item that will be in the success chest for killing the main boss (Thrall/Alleria.) For 6-11, you’ll need an item that will be in the success chest for any of the side areas. (You do not need to kill the main boss for the quest at this level.) That allows you to collect up to 4 pages per run if you can clear all 4 side areas. For level 12-15, the quest items will be in the success chest for the lost areas. (So, only 2 pages per run max.)

The second system is the Titan research that is accessed on the console next to M.O.T.H.E.R. in the heart chamber. This will make visions easier (and some of them are huge game changers.)

Thank you both. I was watching youtube videos and getting bad advice. I’ll try your advice in Cursed Vision tomorrow and just worry about getting to the first boss in one piece. I’m also going to spam heroics and world quests cause there are some upgrades to be had there.