Nightborne Male Faces Still Need Fixing! (PTR 40496)

Ok seriously, probably the biggest criticism for Nightborne since the eye shape (which has been addressed), both male and female, are that their faces look OLD. Why do they look old? Because of a combination of harsh expression lines, wrinkles, and eye bags on many of the faces, and an overuse of the “scowl” specific to the males. Why is this even a thing?

Let’s take a look at the male faces as they are:

(click to enbiggen!)

I’ve critiqued each face as of the most recent PTR update (40290). The overall review is that most of the faces look old and angry. To the point that it seems like whoever is in charge of the Nightborne male faces has some sort of unhealthy fetish with the elderly.

Now let’s take a look at what just a touch of photoshop can do:

(click to enbiggen!)

I left several of the faces untouched, because there’s nothing wrong with a few older, angrier, scowling faces. I just don’t believe that most players want that to be the bulk (or even half) of the options. Several faces are fine if not for the scowl. I made a passing attempt to photoshop out the scowl on several faces, smooth expression lines around the mouth and cheekbones, and smooth out wrinkles on the forehead bags under the eyes.

Please, please please, Blizzard artists take a look at this and do something… anything to make more of the male faces look younger and attractive, and for all that is unholy, please use that scowl sparingly. HALF of the faces currently use that snarl and that is just way too much IMO!

27 Likes

agreed the scowls need to go, its frustrating that so many new faces got something that the nightborne community has been very vocal about not liking. I also wish they’d fix the nightborne shoulder and weapon bugs but as of this build they’re still there

13 Likes

Seeing the face options all at once like this, including the edited ones, I’m not sure that lobbying for minor changes is really going to cut it.

Seeing how unappealing they still look after edits makes me think the male Nightborne need a more drastic change to their faces. All of them.

5 Likes

I like the way some look unmodified… but it’s very few. The modified ones I like even more. Especially the modified 6, 9, 11, and 12. Obviously Blizzard could do better than my hatchet photoshop job though.

I’m not expecting a complete redo of the faces. That just doesn’t seem realistic to expect. But modifying the existing faces doesn’t seem too far out to ask for. Ultimately Nightborne male faces are based on Night Elf male faces… of which there is one… and only one… that isn’t a completely busted old angry man face. The Night Elf male suffers from the same overuse of the “scowl” as well.

My edits alone would put Nightborne males miles ahead of the Night Elf males in attractive options IMO. But as I said, I’m sure the Blizzard artists could do a far better job than my slipshod photoshopping… if only we can convince them to do so.

3 Likes

It may not be realistic to expect in the short term, but it’s something that absolutely needs to happen down the line. These faces are atrocious in every sense.

3 Likes

Mmm… I’d say that what is or isn’t “atrocious” is subjective… not that I disagree with you. There’s maybe 2 male faces on the PTR that I find usable.

As I said though, the Nightborne males suffer from inheriting the hideous Night Elf male faces. That the Nightborne males have more face options on the PTR than live Night Elf males do, and that more than one of those faces isn’t “old angry scowl face” already puts them ahead of Night Elf males. Though of course, even more improvement is desirable.

But I hope that in the short term, Blizzard will improve the male and female Nightborne faces on the PTR before 9.1.5 goes live. In the long term it would be wonderful if they added more faces that aren’t “ugly angry old man” faces for both Nightborne and Night Elf males.

1 Like

Why are they just so angry?

The bubble was lifted! Smile! :laughing:

1 Like

Seeing all of the male Nightborne’s faces compiled like this triggered a rage in me like no other. What a mess. So many aspects of the face are just inaccurate and unappealing. It’s hard to see a way out for the male Nightborne because so much of it is just…wrong. Ugh.

Maybe my expectations are too high. I come from Final Fantasy XIV where the quality of customization options is far and away better than WoW’s. This…would never see the light of day in Final Fantasy XIV.

5 Likes

Yea. Being based on the Night Elf male faces just really pulls down the aesthetic appeal of the Nightborne male faces. That doesn’t mean Blizzard can’t rectify that for both Nightborne and Night Elf males. The “ugly, angry, old man, face with scowl” is ok for one or two faces, but not for 8 out of 12 of the faces.

3 Likes

Where are all the male Night Elf players lobbying for improvements to their face options?

The route Blizzard has gone for the male Night Elves, and subsequently the male Nightborne, is simply nonsensical.

Why would you make elderly, grimacing, scowling faces - which should be a niche option, the near default form of expression for both of the males of these races?

5 Likes

have you considered making such a post yourself instead of complaining in a nightborne post.

Here to support the initiative on getting these faces (or at least SOME of them) fixed. Heck, if Shalashaska managed to fix the nose for at least ONE option, I´m pretty sure the talented artist at Blizzard can do better.

Is not only about removing the scowls, is about putting at least ONE different nose shape.

3 Likes

Unfortunately all I know how to do is a bit of airbrushing so changing nose shapes is beyond me. But Blizz definitely could! hint hint Blizz

THIS

Also what even is the obsession with making male faces ugly and old for elves?

Male night elves have a similar problem.

3 Likes

Good thread. I, too, am hoping for some variant of fix sooner than later. Face one, while not perfect, is arguably the only usable option among a dozen, which is ridiculous. Asking for two, maybe three, nice faces for Nightborne males doesn’t seem like asking too much.

4 Likes

Yea, face #1 is the only one I find useable on live right now for both Nightborne and Night Elf males. The Nightborne male face #9 on the PTR is also usable, but face 10 and 11 would be useable too if not for the scowl!

3 Likes

Agreed. In the previews, too, the faces didn’t have the horrible scowls, which means that it must be possible to not have them. Or at least an option to toggle the expression on/off would be amazing.

5 Likes

Another specific change I think would improve the male Nightborne is for their chin to be majorly reduced. The male Nightborne NPC does not have this long, wide, or prominent of a chin. Their face proportions are much more balanced.

Obviously, not something that could be modified for 9.1.5, but hopefully for the next expansion.

3 Likes

This.
Besides the prominent age lines and scowls, the wide chin also bothers me a lot. I wish there was variety in jaw shape. If they had thinner more chiseled jaws that would really help the look!

3 Likes

Updated the topic name with the most recent PTR version. Unfortunately, nothing has been done to address the Nightborne face issues with this patch. :frowning:

4 Likes