Night Warrior: Tyrande or Maiev?

There was voice recordings found for Nathanos and Malfurion to be generals for the Darkshore Warfront, but they were never implemented. We never found any datamining for a third set of generals, so doesn’t look like they even made it that far before settling to just go with Sira and Maiev.

1 Like

that’s so dumb. horde don’t even get a real horde character as their general and it gets boring seeing the same 2 people every time. i think they’re just scrapping warfronts entirely tbh.

probably they realized that nathanos would have been literally everywhere in 8.1

4 Likes

I think more realistically they just ran out of time to design multiple iterations of the warfront scenario before they had to launch for the patch.

I always think the fact Maiev was a priestess is odd. She never seems to show excessive devotion in her actions. At least that I can tell, sorry if I’m missing a deeper subtext. I don’t have issue with Tyrande being the Night Warrior. That said, it would have been cooler with Maiev. Perhaps they could fight together as both aspects, Light and Dark, after.

I think Maiev would have been better as a Night Warrior. As much as I love seeing Tyrande kicking butt again, Maiev has always been a favorite of mine. And so much of Kaldorei story telling has been centered around Malfurion and Tyrande, two characters Blizzard has gotten horrifically wrong since WoW’s launch.

Maiev is also very under rated and misunderstood, made obvious by many of the posts in this thread.

16 likes, but wrong.

This statement nearly gave me an aneurysm.

Maiev’s devotion dwarfs Tyrande’s. She willingly step down as a VERY prominent and respected Priestess, to instead Warden over Illidan for 10,000 years… That isn’t a insignificant display of self-sacrifice.

1 Like

I mean devotion towards Elune specifically. I think Maiev has very much shown dedication to serving the Night Elves as a people. Obviously there’s overlap, but the impression I always get is towards the temporal. As opposed to some of her characterization in the War of the Ancients novels.

All the novels written by Richard Knaack are awful though, and are a black stain on Kaldorei lore. It was Knaack who brought the Matriarchal nature of the Night Elves into question, because the dude is a low-key sexist.

It was only recently that Terran Gregory out right said Night Elves were matriarchal that finally put that debate to rest.

This is why I really love the Illidan Novel, even though I dislike Illidan as a character. It’s the only novel where Night Elves are depicted correctly, and Maiev in that Novel was beautiful in my eyes.

Also keep in mind that devotion to Elune is not like devotion to God in irl Abrahamic faiths. Elune is more rooted in Paganism, where the relationship isn’t a Master-servant relationship, but rather a Teacher-student relationship.

“We do not beg the gods for help, we honor them with our actions.”

2 Likes

I know, but I just like Maiev.

Maiev is probably my favorite character.

2 Likes

I’m happy with them picking Tyrande.

1. The Night Elves just got genocided and had their home torched. Civilians and all. Their leader deciding to go down this dark path is the most natural reaction Blizz has written in years, and finally character development for Tyrande that didnt stem directly from “Wait… where’s my husband?”
  2. Maiev is a little armored hate machine. She’s perfect as is.
1 Like

Eh, I thought those few were alright. Haven’t bothered with anything else. But skimming through Wolfheart and Stormrage, they look rather unenjoyable.

Certainly a very good novel for many reasons.

Maybe it just relates to a lack of visible interaction in comparison? Given we’ve seen Tyrande call down Elune in some manner in Val’sharah and Darkshore now. And her abilities always have the Elune image to me, calling down stars Whereas Maiev, while seemingly given her powers by Elune, hasn’t had that connection presented in such a visible way in a while. Not that I recall at least.

Tyrande was definitely the right choice. Knaak completely ruined Maiev in Wolfheart and their clumsy attempts to write around her disastrous role in that novel have never worked out.

The avatar of Elune’s vengeance being an insane serial killer who hates both her leaders and the entire Alliance probably wouldn’t have been an easy thing to rally around.

4 Likes

Sometimes I wonder about Stormrage. Somethings that happened in it carry over, like the marriage and Fandral’s madness.

But other things just are never mentioned. Like the Nightmare War itself, how nearly everyone on Azeroth was caught in a Nightmare. Also, the fact that Varian Wrynn and Baine Bloodhoof fought side by side together and Baine’s respect for Varian is never brought up either. Or the blessings Ysera and Alex give Teldrassil.

I just feel like the events of the book are kinda glossed over.

Maiev does some things. Like Blink, which is weird because the Arcane is forbidden… So I assume it is some sort of Holy thing. But we just havn’t seen much of Maiev, and only assume she is a super deadly and powerful because of what has been said about her. But we haven’t actually seen it.

I would like the Night Elves as a whole to be more tentative members of the Alliance. But that’s just me. I never thought the Night Elves really fit with the human imperialism of Stormwind. I happen to think Stormwind looks like its making a lot of the same mistakes as the first Kaldorei Empire did. But w/e.

I Wish Blizzard would just uncanonize everything from Richard Knaack. When I saw Broxigar in Legion, I wanted to cry. I hate those books so much.

Sometimes it feels like the characters themselves try to pretend many of the events of the book didn’t happen. Like when Maiev tries to bring them up during Val’shara questing and Jarod interrupts her and changes the topic.

Anytime I run across references to the Nightmare war, I kinda scratch my head. It is very strange how such a seemingly significant event has since been so greatly ignored. Which is whatever, just goofy running into descriptions at times.

That was one of the interesting parts of Illidan, that she thinks her Blink ability comes from Elune. So it might be that her Blink isn’t of arcane origin. Not sure if anything else every comments on it.

Oh shoot.

I totally forgot about that. With Teldrassil burned, am I mortal again!?

/flirts with everything bipedal in earshot. “Baby, Im mortal now. Time’s a wastin’.”

Teldrassil never got the immortal blessing again from Nozdormu, from my understanding. So you’ve still been mortal since the Third War.

1 Like

Elune’s magic does seem to be Arcane in origin. Moonfire, Star Fall, it’s thematic appearance looks arcane.

This makes Elune very interesting, because her magic has manifested as Arcane, Holy and Nature… And now with the Night Warrior aspect, Void and Necromantic might be added to the list, once we have a little bit more data.

If that turns out to be true, then it would seem the only thing Elune isn’t is Fel….

My personal theory is that Arcane magic wasn’t necessarily forbidden by the Kaldorei, rather that it’s practice has to be done through a reverence of Elune. With the History of the Highborne, and the vanity that came with their magic leading to the Sundering, this kind of makes sense.

For clarification, if you play D&D, Most WoW Mages are Wizards. But a Kaldorei Mage is more likely an Arcane Cleric.

1 Like