Night elves did NOT get their revenge. This is unacceptable!

Or rather, religion when your god is actually real and has cool powers, and has been proven to use them. Elune is different from real world religions in that her priests can invoke her power in laboratory conditions under heavy scrutiny by scientists. It stands to reason her followers would expect more, like a prophecy or something.

1 Like

I’d take Tyrande’s opinions on Elune over a junior scientist like Delaryn, as per Elegy:

The fire was too much, too fast, and it was no ordinary flame. It reeked of magic bent to a task so cruel, so utterly devoid of even a scrap of compassion, Tyrande could scarcely wrap her mind around it. Have I tempted fate with my arrogance, Elune? Is Sylvanas Windrunner beyond even your light, that she would burn Darnassus?

Kaldorei desperately shoved and clawed their way past one another at the portals. Tyrande, Anduin, the Stormwind guards, and the Sentinels pulled coughing evacuees to safety, shoved them in the direction of the ramp, and then reached through the portals for more. The smoke thickened, black and choking, and it became harder to see those on the other side.

Heat buffeted Tyrande’s face, evaporating tears she hadn’t realized had fallen. Against all her instincts, she pulled back, letting someone take her place, and forced calm on herself. In this moment, when seconds counted, she could assist in a better way.

Elune . . . please let me help them . . .

And all around her, there was an intake of welcome breath as damaged lungs were healed.

5 Likes

The quote proves Elune is real and can do stuff. The question is why is she working in such mysterious ways when she is a real being who’s followers don’t need to cover for her.

1 Like

Tyrande is High Priestesses. Delaryn was raised to her position during the War of the Thorns because everyone higher up than her died or was unavailable, not because of Delaryn’s amount of experience. I would not put as much stock into what Delaryn thought Elune was capable of, especially when Tyrande questioned if Elune’s influence could even reach Sylvanas at all.

That’s not to say Delaryn’s thoughts as she died were not sad or heart-wrenching. But emotional soliloquies are not the same as scientific conclusions.

8 Likes

You don’t understand. Daerlyn and Sira aren’t turning on their people. They’re turning on Elune. Fighting the Warfront is their way of doing so.

And you neglect one major difference. Drahliana’s emotions have not been crystalised by becoming undead. She’s still alive and as such is still capable of evolving her personality.

One… this wasn’t some minor brush fire of a war. From the Kal’dorei perspective it was the destruction of their civilisation, the losss of their loved ones in one of the most brutal ways possible.

Two… Unlike the real world, the gods are real beings that have power that’s visibly made manifest. You’ve never had personal experience of such a world. None of us have. So expectations are not the same.

2 Likes

Science? Really? Aside from the number of catgirls you kill with that paragraph, when do believer ever consider their patron dieties in a “scientific” manner?

Hey, I didn’t preface the conversation that way. I was responding to Lannan:

Also, I’m fairly certain there are many people in the real world that truly believe that they have seen the works of god(s) visibly made manifest. I’m fairly certain there are many people who believe they experience this as a regular daily occurrence.

I am not one of those people, being an atheist, however I would never tell people they have never personally experienced as such.

2 Likes

Again, I’m not referring to the delusions of believers. I’m referring to the fact that in Azeroth Gods DO walk the earth or hide in dungeons and you can encounter them. You can also encounter their real works. Unlike the real world, you don’t require faith.

1 Like

I do not abide this comment.

So. Science.

1 Like

You seem like a fun person to be around.

3 Likes

Jumpin Jehoshaphats! That’s more than a little undiplomatic, wouldn’t you say?

5 Likes

With elune being real they have a record that even when the entire world was at stake when the legion came elune never to the common oerson intervined. They have records no matter the war no matter how dire elune has never acted on some mass scale. Elune has also never been one for telling the future. The noght elves by now know how elune acts and how she responds and suddenly they expect her to break character and just save them when she never has before is odd

6 Likes

There actually ARE more than two ways of looking at the world. I know it’s a hard idea of looking at the world in non-binary terms, but you should try it sometime. Not being religious ins’t by itself a sufficient qualifier for a scientific viewpoint which assumes a particular set of disciplines.

I bet it would be even harder for you to describe how observation based determinations are neither belief nor science.

By all means, enlighten us if you can.

I believe that was exactly my point:

Delaryn is no scientist. And she also does not show an understanding of Elune to the extent Tyrande does. And she loses faith. So what does Delaryn have? Emotional soliloquy that has no relevance to Elune’s capabilities beyond Delaryn’s baseless assumptions.

2 Likes

She’s essentially an ordinary Joe… or Jane so to speak as Night Elves go. She would be your typical lay church worshipper if the Night Elves were to go for such things and they generally do not. Thing is however the priesthood of Elune did wield power, did call on her for miracles, and Elune had tens of thousands of years of publicity buildup. So it’s more than reasonable that someone like Sira, or Daelaryn would take it rather badly. And if you really pay attention to Tyrande’s tone during the Night Warrior ritual, one might get the sense that Tyrande is putting an ultimatum of her own into the ceremony.

That is my point. Delaryn’s assumptions on what Elune can actually do is not actually reflective of what Elune can do.

Yes. Like healing the lungs of the people that made it through the portals at Tyrande’s plea to help them.

She sure did. And also knew exactly what Elune was capable of in demanding the Night Warrior’s power.

6 Likes

Saving the world… that’s really an abstract thing… compared to watching everything and everyone you love turn to ash. Especially after you personally failed to save them.

And no… it’s very well established that she wasn’t one of those Ancient Kal’dorei who’d gone through any of the major night elf battles before this one.

For the same reason they can’t make ANY of the playable races any justice in this sorry excuse for a story.

For example, for taurens worshipping nature is the core of their culture and society but for Baine it was raising this one dude as a forsaken that was the stroke that broke the cammel’s back? Yeah I’d say burning a WORLD TREE alongside nearly extinguishing an entire race would be it but according to blizz…it isn’t.

Or the orcs. They are heavily honor bound and I’m pretty sure killing non combatants isn’t seen as honorable, I mean, even Garrosh executed Krom’gar on the Stonetalon’s questline for executing a ton of inocents.

Or the Blood elves? I’m pretty sure the only light worshipping race in the horde wouldn’t see that with good eyes.

Or even I dunno…her OWN PEOPLE. Who according to Before the Storm she ordered the murder of her own people’s civilians to ‘‘kill hope’’ that they would reunite with their human family…wich I must add. SHE AGREED WITH THE REUNION TO BEGIN WITH.

And I’m pretty sure they will not adress any of these things. Cause time and time again, characters are being used as plot devices to move the story from point a to point b without any regard on their motivations.

This wasn’t even the warm up of a night elf revenge, Tyrande should have been more than able to kill Nathanos, no questions asked. It was a demigodess who just got even stronger fighting alongside the world’s most powerful druid against a dude with a bow. There is no fighting, the only reason Nathanos is alive now is pure and simply. The biggest plot armor ever.

11 Likes