Night Elves are not inherently xenophobic

they being “softened” aka, not being xenophobic anymore to enter in wow patterns of good races, so people who play then don’t feel bad don’t mean they were not in the past.

2 Likes

that feel when you will never live in the xenophobic elf lands with your amazonian wife who does all the hunting

4 Likes

Imprisoned for 10,000 years. Banished from my own homeland.

You were not prepared.

3 Likes

Would the Highborne consider the northern areas of the remains of Kalimdor their homeland? Azshara specifically told the Highborne to stay away from there.

(Though, yes, I did get the reference.)

It’s less overt, but there is a contingent of Alliance partisans who read the game as a heroic story for Alliance players, and the Alliance basically means the morally upright humans who do no wrong…and their frequently unhelpful sidekicks. These are the types who will go to the mat for things like “Jaina did nothing wrong at Theramore” and “Tyrande should just respect and obey Anduin.”

Just because I’m pretty confident he won’t mind being named, Zerde comes to mind, but there are other posters like him.

Night Elves have flaws, and have done things that were wrong to do

Sweet o/

6 Likes

She didn’t but that is an entire different thread altogether.

Respect is a two way street. I am pretty sure both Anduin and Tyrande respect each other. As for obey, she is certainly free to not obey or to obey, but I think her whole “try and retake a land another continent away, when our enemy is about to get a fleet that will probably obleterate us if push comes to shove” could certain have been delayed a few months and possible ended up with a quicker/less bloody for me team, win. That is especially the case considering after the raid the Alliance was winning on all the other fronts.

When it comes to Zerde coming into discussions about Night Elves, I generally wonder why Zerde is posting about a topic he’s not actually interested in. He doesn’t really say Humans are better, he just doesn’t care that other races aren’t shown as long as there’s a blue banner there somewhere. It’s an odd fixation he has on check boxing Alliance presence without regarding the substance of its involvement.

Case in point:

If Tyrande and the Gilnean support hadn’t gone off to Darkshore that would have been one less front the Alliance was winning at.

1 Like

Did they retcon it or did they kinda gloss over how they fixed it? It seems to me that a lot of the cultural conflict in the Night Elf society was a Malf/Tyrande vs Staghelm thing. Maybe they just went with “And all/most of the xenophobic night elves joined up with Staghelm and got defeated in the Firelands” without really mentioning it.

I mean, Maeive was the poster child for xenophobic Night Elves and she’s now part of their leadership, so IDK.

She seems to be her own unique little trainwreck with the way she’s bounced around in lore

1 Like

Why would they want to wait? There was no guarantee with Dazar Alor. If they let the horde stay there too long they would have backed up their forces and become entrenched in Darkshore. There’s no telling what Ashenvale would have become in that time.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I just saw a passage in The Chronicle, wasn’t sure if it was brought up before.

The Fall of Zin-Azshari and the Sundering of the World
Despite a series of crushing defeats, hope yet lingered among the night elf resistance. A brave new leader, Jarod Shadowsong, had assumed the mantle of command. Unlike his predecessors, he was not born of noble blood. A fierce combatant and a brilliant strategist, Jarod went to great lengths to strengthen the resistance. He stripped away the night elves’ inherent xenophobia and invited many of Azeroth’s other races - such as the earthen, tauren, and mighty furbolgs - into the night elf army.

I would focus more on that part. Though obviously the direct use of the word “inherent” does imply it might take more moral fiber like Jarod had (and the nobles lacked) to not indulge in xenophobia than it might take a person from another race.