Nice work bringing back classic Ashran

Keep these longer format classic battlegrounds in the game, they’re fun! I have been having lots of fun playing long battles in Korrak’s Revenge as well. Great choice bringing them back for awhile at least give whoever made this decision a raise.

7 Likes

I bet it’s fun if you play Horde.

3 Likes

I have noticed that Alliance seem to have given up. From what I’ve been reading, KR is heavily horde favoured (terrain, npcs, etc…) but I don’t think that’s any reason Alliance can’t still try. I played three games this morning and the first two were complete wipes, but the third one was a good game. We had an offense and a defense set up, but our offense eventually got broken and they summoned the dude. We lost because Horde just did the mechanics better and that’s ok with me.

I do think it was a mistake for Blizzard to tie the badge rewarding quests to things that don’t directly contribute to winning the BG though. Even the ones to capture a tower/GY, while sounding good, require you to go back to the base to cash them.

It’s never a good thing for someone on offense to go back to the base… there’s just never a good time for it. If you go back mid-game, you contribute to an offense stall. If you go at the start of the game, you diminish the force of your starting push.

1 Like

So can this map be won? Or does it just go on forever and you receive the bonus ( conquest and honor ) one time?

If you’re referring to the Classic Ashran brawl, then no. It has no ‘win’ condition; only stomping, or being stomped.

Classic Ashran is, however, the most lucrative source of Honor in the game, with rates of upwards 3k-4k every hour if you’re playing it right and you have a good leader.

2 Likes

Alliance actually have terrain advantages and are heavily favored in AV.
It is worth noting that whichever side kills Korrak puts themselves at a severe disadvantage. I’ve been playing on both factions, and have seen a pretty even win/loss rate.

1 Like

Why do you think so?

not really. Horde have the advantage in getting korrack and in capping stonehearth bunker before the allies can get there, but the rest of the area is either neutral or favors alliance.

For example an alliance player can run from stormpike to frostwolf and never aggro a mob (if you know the path and have any skill at hill running), horde really cant from the npcs scattered around Bal’s bunker and SHGY or the roving patrols on the two paths north past icewing.

Alliance GYs (sh and sp) are also much easier to defend, they both have funnels defended by not only the flag guards but by stationary and roving NPCs, the Horde graveyards (ib and fw) out in the open, with NPCs relatively easily avoidable with only the direct flag guards being an issue.

Alliance spawn cave is shorter and they can mount up much faster.

Alliance bridge, guards have a way more open shooting range compared to the horde one that has a building and walls around it.

There’s many more elite npcs near the alliance graveyard and bunkers that also follow you into bunkers, a lot of horde npcs are actually off to the sides or even before the 1st building.

These problems aren’t as big of deal, since this is KR:AV, and not Retail:AV (Zerg rush), but they are still prevalent.

When was the last time you played korracks?

From my experience Korrack’s is more zerg than retail

Yesterday, it’s pretty much all I do in retail now. I’ve not seen a single zerg, all of my KR’s have been over 2hrs.

That’s interesting because that’s all I find myself interested in queuing for as well. (As well as the Classic Ashran as of yesterday)

1 Like

I think FWK is often overlooked. The Alliance bridge is certainly a great choke point, but the maze running up the hill to FWL is full of NPCs, and the tower archers shoot pretty far down the hill.

Having said that, the problem isn’t with the final keep defense, it’s with the initial part. The reason AV favours Horde is that it’s much, much easier to bottle up Alliance and prevent them from escaping. The choke point at SHB is just too strong. This gives Horde the first two towers and SHGY for very little effort, since they can pin Alliance while they cap. If their back-cap team is present, they can hold this choke while they hold.

After that, the game is theirs to win. On retail it’s super easy because they just hold the choke and win on reinforcements. In KR, all you have to do is let a few Alliance through, then close the choke back up. You also have the advantage of being able to take the upper path, around to the back side of SPGY. Given hills surrounding that GY, it’s quite easy for ranged to hold an advantage. Now Alliance are bottled up in their keep. Again, this choke may seem to favour Alliance, but in KR there is a back way up to the bunkers, avoiding the bridge entirely (you can literally walk right up).

Now the Horde have two options. Option 1 is to let the Alliance through so they split their defense, at which point Horde can just win outright since Alliance can’t catch up to the race at this point. Option 2 is to just continue the fight at the choke, sending people in to capture bunkers, splitting the attention of the Alliance defenders who have to worry about the bridge and both bunkers, while Horde only really have to worry about clearing NPCs and the GY. The bunkers are just a distraction, because once the GY is capped Alliance all spawn out of DB and it’s Horde’s.

Alliance can do a good job if they try, but AV has always favoured Horde. When you guys (as a faction) figured this out somewhere around Cata, the entire BG shifted and nobody has found a strat to counter that which doesn’t involve an entire premade.

This doesn’t really matter. Horde have already capped the first bunker before Alliance can reach Snowfall, let alone Icewing.

See above for the rest.

Also, folks are reporting that the Horde NPCs have significantly more HP than their Alliance counterparts. This is just stuff folks have been linking around the forums the past few days.

1 Like

Imagine thinking this in 2019.

“Mount up much faster” =/= still can’t make it to Snowfall or Stonehearth Bunker before the Horde has capped both. I’m sure Alliance players are thrilled they can mount up much faster but still can’t reach any of the objectives before their Horde counterparts.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single player make it to the end of the map without aggroing something unless they are stealthies, and even then “HOW CAN THEY SEE ME THROUGH STEALTH?”.

This is accurate if you ignore the up to three powerful elite lieutanants at IBGY (compared to the up to two at SHGY) and the elite commander standing right at the FWGY flag that currently has 900% more health than the one at SPGY, sure.

You mean the building that is a viable chokepoint filled with tons of hard hitting NPCs?

Yes, it must be fun on horde. I’ve played 20 matches trying to get a win and most of the time we don’t even get to the final towers before we lose. The alliance simply can’t win.

For the stealthies getting broken out of stealth in enemy base:
Look on ground. See round thing. Click on it to disarm. It’s a land mine. It’ll break you out of stealth. They are all over both horde and alliance base but once you know what they look like you can disarm them (rogues) and work your way through to Frostwolf towers. The land mines do respawn rather quickly through so you gotta be mindful.

1 Like

I just logged off as Alliance was owning our entire team (need to get up early): https://i.imgur.com/PrsxswT.jpg
They were very organized and worked together and Horde wasn’t. That’s what it takes to win, teamwork. Gotta be on at the right time with the right mix of people sometimes and with the right amount of people on each side actually playing as well.

1 Like

Also there’s bombs in the base that unstealth stealthies unless you kill that ‘something miner’ NPC. I don’t remember this guy from ye olde AV days, but back then I was more of a noob and just enjoying the big battles everywhere.

Anyway, any horde who says Korrack’s is alliance favored gets a big LOL from me. L2P hordies.

1 Like

Ohhh! That is great info, thank you. I will pay closer attention next time. :sunglasses:

Has to be a joke post.

It’s the worst BG ever

1 Like