Newbie RPer Question

I’ve been really wanting to join a RP server. I generally lean Alliance and I heard Moon Guard is where I should be. I wanted to know what RPing is really like on this server. I arrived in Stormwind and the trade chat definitely had a lot of the typical non-RP discussions so I’m wondering if it’s worth transferring my characters. Can someone give me an idea as to what it’s really like to play in a RP server?

1 Like

Moonguard (Alliance) is the most populated RP server you will find.

This being said: it is not all ‘good’ RP, it is just heavily populated.

One of the first things you will notice on the server, which can be a bit of a culture-shock, is the amount of erotic and ERP profiles you will come across.

Not that it is required to be on this server, but Moonguard has no inhibitions about making this portion of RP flamboyantly obvious.

This is something you must ‘take with a grain of salt’, so to speak, as it walks hand-in-hand with very little rp down-time if you bother to look for it, 90% of the people on the server having profiles with at least something to read, and endless possibilities for both brief and long-lasting rp that can exist for years.

You can literally rp on the server, complete no content, and not be bored, ever.

(Unless you say you’re bored then you’re just not trying lol)

Thank you for your fast response! Okay, I’m definitely interested and thanks for the heads up about the erotic RP. I’ve heard things about Goldshire.

Being completely new, are there any unwritten rules I should know about before I dive in? How do you ask another player a game mechanic question or a non-RP question while also trying to stick to what the server is trying to accomplish?

Again, thank you for the response and the advice!

1 Like

You’ll want to pick up a few addons to better blend-in to the server:

TRP3: Extended (or original, but extended is recommended)

*this is your basic profile addon

Unlimited Chat Message

*this is your basic chat-lengthening addon (there are a couple others but this is the ‘norm’)

Usually, you can just /whisper someone a question, and most of the time they will give you WAY more info than you need, lol, but they’ll answer you.

You can also just ask in party/say, but this is traditionally frowned upon by rpers around as it breaks immersion.

Or… you could ask while putting ( ) around your ooc words.

(This is considered speaking in OOC)

4 Likes

Perfect! I’ll check out those addons. Thanks again for your help!

musician is a great general addon as well to hear live music being played around the server but I would turn it off when you do actual content <3

as for how this server is, Stormwind is a huge rp hub but that’s really just scratching the surface of the rp scene, you best bet is to look around at the diffeent sorts of rp you find and find a guild based around that type of rp you come to find you adore, there are also some rp guide buried somewhere on these forums I’ll see if I can dig them up for you <3

Hello there and welcome to MG! It’s certainly a busy server where a lot of roleplay can be found; and while you may discover there is roleplay you don’t care much for, there is so much going on that there’s likely something to be found to everyone’s liking!

Since you are asking for general RP advise, I thought I would link the guide written by one of our realm players. It has a lot of neat information in it both for beginners and for those who may have been playing longer.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/warcraft-roleplaying-guidebook-for-beginners/805645

Also, I am more than happy to hang out if you would like to test the RP water with a very newbie-friendly and non-judgmental person. I can usually be found daily on my mage Torvia.

But most of all I wish you lots of fun and once more, welcome to MG!

Same here with Nerinth. Im also new to the rp scene and wont mind at all to role play with you and figuring out our characters. Just PM if youre interested

1 Like

For more exhaustive reading and research into all things role-play in the downtime between your exploratory sessions, give this a look. It’s a lot though, so don’t necessarily try to consume it all at once. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/compendium-of-roleplay-guides-wip/469154

I would get Listener if you intend going into taverns or big RP events.

2 Likes

Elephant works just as well.

What other addons are we missing…

Musician for people who RP bard-esque characters so you can listen to the music they are playing.

1 Like

CrossRP for cross faction roleplay and access to the other side’s TRP profiles.

2 Likes

I like the addon “misspelled” as well.

Let me actually get down and dirty.

You will want a guild or group that fits your character. This will allow a ton of RP events around that guild/.group. That being said, there is tons of RP in Stormwind, though the one major factor is that people hate walking up or have paranoia.

I just walk up to everyone. It bridges the gap but doing that, you have to realize that some do not enjoy that. If people are mid-RP which means in the middle of RP then I would ask if you can walk up. 99% of the time, the answer is yes :smiley:

I do wish to roleplay with you :slight_smile: Please, feel welcome here.

1 Like