Newbie priest rotation

Is there a good rotation that I can start with as a holy priest? I’m a noob and terrified to step into bgs / dungeons for fear of not knowing what the heck I’m doing.

Any tips/ advice / hints would be lovely. Thank you brothers and sisters!

I’m in the same boat except doing Disc. I am at level 30 and tried healing my first dungeon. Everyone bailed after first boss. I can do it but I need a group that will be slow and patient. Not something most pugs are willing to do…I wish there was a way to heal dungeons with folks lower than me so I could go in a little OP while I learn. I think I just need a few patient groups but having been away from the game a long bit I don’t have a current friends circule…ugh…Wish I could help, just commiserating.

1 Like

There’s really no rotation. You heal as the situation calls for which you learn with experience. You have the Flash Concentration legendary, and at five stacks you play whack-a-mole healing your party (or in raid as needed) As for damage, you spam your dots around, then cast Holy Fire whenever it is up. You cast Smite as filler, and if you want, spam Holy Nova when on the move to do moderate healing and AOE dps.

Care nothing about BGs–it hardly matters. That said, BGs are a great way to learn to heal. As for dungeons, I learned to play disc by enchanting a full set of BOA gear and then leveling healing dungeons doing so. Because BOA gear enchanted makes you pretty OP, you can mess up and experiment and nobody will care. It is pretty hard to mess up doing so though. Holy Priest has to be the easiest healer, and your kit is quite varied, but you can get by mostly simply relying on Flash Heal and Heal–which at 60 is also made easy with Flash Concentration (the legendary).

I’d recommend getting the healing part down as your main priority over the damage part. You can do damage when you have down time vs making it one of your priorities. Damage is not really that necessary until you have the healing down pat and are progressing into higher keys.

I’d go Kyrian and get a feel for Boon while questing. And I’d watch healers like Yumy streaming on Twitch for tips and so you can see how it’s done.

If you have BOA gear and an enchanter do as mentioned above (or simply buy the enchants–you often see them given away on the AH). Also, if you are new to healing I would definitely start healing with a different healer (such as holy priest) vs disc. Disc is really a class a lot think of as being for advanced healers vs beginners. That said, the occasional person has learnt to heal starting with Disc. But as most who have healed on all healers will tell you, that is not the way to do it.

I have a low level priest. Check out her gear. This is how you want to enchant it.

1 Like

Watch guides. It is situational in a sense… but personally I just cast whatever heal seems appropriate at the time… Prioritizing ‘Heal’ over Flash Heal, less mana cost and bigger output… but if you need a quick heal to get off, Flash Heal can do! I use Circle of Healing & Holy Word: Sanctify when I am near my partner (Arena), although it isn’t the most output… it’s something. Sanctify can be a large mana consumer though, at 1,750 mana. Not always necessary to use it… Serenity’s pretty much left & right kekw… Always keeping, or trying to keep Renew up if talented in ‘Renewed Faith’, first row of Holy talents… Prayer of Mending off CD.
The goal is to cast big Serenity’s while reducing the cooldown of it in-between with Flash Heal or Heal. Same with Circle of Healing into Sanctify… and Smite/Holy Fire into Chastise… Chastise is important, and depending on what you are playing you want to swap between Censure and Psychic Voice. For example, in an Arena match, if your team has a lot of stuns you could probably run Psychic Voice for short fear cooldown. Very useful. Otherwise, if you need a stun for a setup or whatever reason, Censure is the way to go! There is so much to the spec, and it is incredibly fun IMO. Reduce cooldowns, utilize your toolkit to its fullest ability… and have fun.
— Again, watch guides based on what you aim to do whether it be PvP Arenas, BGs (RBGs too), or PvE. At the end of the day… Serenity goes brrrrrr… GLHF

If Chastise is on cooldown, and you have the Harmonious Apparatus legendary equipped, use Holy Fire off CD as well. Even if Chastise isn’t on cooldown, Holy Fire can hit pretty hard. Smite with Chastise on CD. Reducing Chastise cooldown can be huge in PvP, and allows you to set up more kills. Also allows you to have quicker chances at kills if an enemy team uses a big defensive and you have damage for when it drops.
I’m no expert, but I think that is a good wall of text on some of the basics.