New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Yeah, smart move.

You either gotta stick with V3.3.4, download ManbabyDungeonTools, or sub to the original authors Patreon or Twitch to get a working version.

https://i.imgur.com/GjpNToY.jpg

3.3.4 it is. :sunglasses:

You can write literally whatever you want down on a piece of paper. That doesn’t make it a wow addon, unless it works in wow.

Still looking forward what Blizzard will do about this.

Though with Blizzard track record not caring about world first raiders blatantly breaking ToS… i think we have more chance complaining to curseforge/overwolf about this than to Blizzard, honestly.

You most certainly can add the data yourself using /mdt devmode

I know what he did was ethically wrong, but he isn’t breaking EULA

Charging for ANY part of an AddOn is against Blizzard AddOn policy.

2 Likes

Kirk once said “what does god need with a starship?”
Magni also said “what does champion need with a dungeon map?”

both very valid points.

1 Like

Ya know what, I use this… A LOT. I don’t mind paying Nnoggie 50 bucks and some of the features he is planning look good.

I don’t think every addon is worth that, but this one is to me.

I wouldn’t have had any issue with it if he’d brought on board new features, but… to sabotage the base add-on… Not cool…

Dunno if this has been said already, but Manbabytools on github. I can’t post links but that’s non-paywalled MDT.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s not actually structurally usable unless you go into dev mode and perfectly replicate all the mob positions and %s manually. The addon author themselves didn’t even do this, but rather used other tools to rip it out of places like wowhead/game files/etc.

If someone gave you a car, but you had to assemble it yourself you would say the car is unusable, no? Just because it’s technically feasible to re-create the data, doesn’t mean the addon is usable without it. The entire point of MDT is the mob positions + % counts.

Free with donation is a scam workaround that blizzard needs to kill immediately. But doing the right thing for players is something I have little faith in them for anymore.

Just like those weakauras that are only for people who donate. If you only give it to people who give you money, it’s a fee regardless of what you call it.

I think it’s on the border of allowability based on prior things that were allowed. They provide a python script which parses a combatlog and populates data based on that, and also dev mode. I don’t have a strong stance on it either way. I don’t think it matters, either way, since I don’t think this was primarily a financial motivation. Instead, I think it was mostly about not wanting to be at the beck and call of people requesting (perhaps demanding might be a better word) updates.

So the likely scenarios are:

1. blizzard does nothing, and continues their general trend of letting addon data be paywalled as long as the addon itself is not. Dungeon Tools (or another fork) probably becomes the mainstream tool.

2. blizzard doesn’t allow it, and nnoggie stops working on it. Dungeon Tools (or another fork) probably becomes the mainstream tool.

this is BRUTAL! please dont do this!

I mean I agree… The whole addon is under GPL so there’s absolutely nothing stopping it from being forked and re-hosted. Heck the import string the author is trying to hold hostage is already all over the net.

Frankly, I think Nnoggie needs some help. Some of the stuff said on twitter/twitch/discord is not the kind of talk mentally healthy people engage in. It’s well within their right to go “hey look this has become too much” but he could have easily stopped development at that point and left it as is.

The fact that he deliberately went way out of his way to cripple the addon (removed back versions of it that still worked, disabled issue tracking, etc.) shows that this isn’t just a “I’m tired of how people treat me” or “it’s too exhausting to develop” but rather that he threw a temper tantrum (from the sounds of it because they lost the world first race).

1 Like

Totally a fair point.

1 Like

What I pay for to have amazon prime saves me money. Amazon has spent a lot of money sending me things with free shipping with prime.

But this addon is crossing the line of Blizzard’s ToS or EULA.

I’d hold off on that payment. He removed his social links and any mention of paying for NPC data from the addons readme and curseforge page.

part of the problem with this is you can then only share routes with people who have also paid him.

a big piece of what makes this addon so great - the route sharing - is ruined unless the m+ community as a whole pays nnoggie.

pretty much.

Still no Blizz response? That’s disheartening.

1 Like