New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

i don’t think it’s against ToS because the addon is their IP not Blizzard’s.

7 Likes

They require you to be a Patron or a Twitch subscriber.

28 Likes

I’m not actually sure whether that goes against TOS or not. They’re not charging for the addon itself, but they are charging for data collected from that addon.

1 Like

I don’t understand, why is an addon needed to see a map?

1 Like

He changed it if you read it, he’s removed all the map data and you only get it if you pay for it through one of those subs now.

Ya but you can’t make money off blizzard content, it’s why you can’t private stream blizzards game either as a streamer cause it’s for profit.

30 Likes

Add-ons must be free of charge. All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ui-add-on-development-policy/24534

72 Likes

Well that seems pretty clear then.

1 Like

It’s free with donation. I run a multi billion non profit business that gives out free products when donations are made in specific amounts. Don’t tax be bro.

EDIT: Guys, it’s very worrying that the joke is being taken seriously by so many people. Turn your brains on.

10 Likes

Nah, Nnoggie is going cray cray.

(Sorry Char, misreplied!)

2 Likes

Yeah saw when I went to look on my computer as print was to small on my phone.

Report em to blizzard and they’ll crucify the guy to make an example out of him

9 Likes

They will absolutely take action. Ask the former makers of Carbonite.

17 Likes

That was a long time ago now and other addons like Zygor have had paid requirements for some time now without being stopped. MDT is obviously a much more popular addon, so it might get more attention.

That’s definitely a grey area, will have to see what Blizzard does.

1 Like

No. Zygor sells the pdfs. The addon is free to everyone. Just like Curse sold a sub, but the addons were free to everyone. Wowhead, et all, profit by repackaging information about WoW. No issues there.

Having to pay for an addon to get and use the addon: nope - that is very clearly against the rules.

17 Likes

Not really free then.

I think MTD charging for the data crosses the line.

12 Likes

Lol so you have to pay for it.

6 Likes

cant u sub for free to people on twitch if u are a amazon prime member honestly with covid who isnt now days thus the argument could be made its free

1 Like

So you need to pay for something (Prime) to get the sub to get the item? That makes it…not free.

23 Likes

no its free with a service u already have

1 Like

WoWUI@blizzard.com if you think this is a ToS violation. Maybe it isn’t. But they are the arbiters. Let them decide.

2 Likes