New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

I remember when the DBM guy shared his boo hoo me story on wowhead and even blizzard acknowledged him. People donated and even got a whole computer setup thanks to it. Guess who the biggest overwolf mascot currently is with that 70/30 ad revenue split.

The brilliant part of this is that it sounds like it may actually be violating both Blizzard’s ToS and Twitch’s ToS at the very same time by requiring the sub on twitch or a patreon donation.

This guy is bout to lose his entire identity. And he deserves every bit of it. Absolutely toxic human being.

1 Like

Considering Addon authors have profited from Patreon programs and the Curse Author Rewards program in the form of gift cards and $$$ for years.

Yes

Except those groups can time them with several minutes to spare, because addons like MDT allow them to plan out their routes in advance so they can have Prideful for the hard Tyrannical boss, and not trigger it a pack or two early.

why are people so dense. This isn’t free then. jesus. Some people are just not very bright.

I’ll take that loss, as it is the wrong agreement.
This one however is not:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ui-add-on-development-policy/24534

Here’s section 1:

1. Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Here is section 5:

1. Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.

These two sections are virtually identical to the general API ToS, and the message is clear:

You cannot profit from your development of WoW addons for the game in any way shape or form.

Continuing to state “but it’s fine because X, Y, or Z” is entirely disingenuous and harmful to the discussion.

To those stating “The core function is unaffected” - it doesn’t matter. You may not create a “premium” version of the addon for any reason; This is stated in the original statement as well even if the scope is different.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

You’re not able to place mob information on the map. Even if you painstakingly drew all that information on the map yourself, you can’t use the route planning part of the addon cause there’s no mob information for that part of the addon to work with.

The fact of the matter is that the author removed and paywalled data that is required for the addon to be in a functional state. People that don’t have the data, or were unlucky enough to download and update to one of the versions with blanked data folders only get a blank map to work with. People that pay $$$ get the data and an actually usable addon.

That’s not okay.

(Seems the author finally got around to nuking the pre-manbaby tantrum version that was on wowinterface. Feels bad, man.)

I was a big fan of his work but his behaviour in this has been very immature.

The action itself to monetise the addon is understandable. You can still technically create the mob data and put them on the map. They have all been removed (you can install it now and just see the map).

I was a part of his channel but I had already used my prime sub on hazelnutty so I was mostly just following his work.
Now after the changes the discussion section of his discord is gone, sub only sections are there.

I feel he’s distanced himself from many people who supported him but we’re not able to provide a monetary benefit. In any case I wish him luck going forward.

I still don’t understand the issue here.

The addon is free, MDT is free, I’m using it to check routes for dungeons.

Are they selling routes made by professional players? Because that’s not against ToS. That’s information, not addon use.

The addon costs nothing. Information, best routes, they give to patreon and twitch supporters, no?
Nothing stops you from making those routes yourself though, or finding them on internet.

So ultimately, someone is mad they aren’t given the best route for dungeon served on their plate, while those that support addon creator get it. While you yourself can still use the addon to make the route yourself, for free.

no it is against the tos, you cant have explicitly premium addons. asking for donations or even patreon =/= what hes doing with MDT. hes locking core functionality behind a paywall, it would be like getting dbm or bigwigs itself for free but the actual raid data behind a paywall. sure the app can load but its pointless without the plugin

1 Like

What is premium about it though? What exactly do you have to pay for?

Sounds to me like you’re mad they aren’t telling you what packs to pull and everything.
I got the addon, I plan my routes and am happy with it. Do you really need addons to tell you everything you’re supposed to do?
What’s even the point of playing then?

I think this was all good to cite but to clarify:

Section 1 is fairly clear cut and was the only part you needed to note to make it clear. But - Section 5 is exclusively related to in-game and was a little misinterpreted. It means the addon creator can’t say… use the addon to advertise their own Patreon since that is equivalent to an advertisement. Some addons do see monetary support through donations, but donations that happen via third parties like Patreon, Ko-Fi, etc are outside of the purview of this.

So someone can in fact profit from their work (Overwolf’s whole mantra was to give creators a chance to earn money from their addon development), but it can’t be explicitly advertised in-game. Anything earned from people who find the addon on Overwolf, through the Addons community, etc. - isn’t within their jurisdiction to moderate.

What is the version number of the addon you’re using?

Whichever was on site 5-6 days ago.

Yeah, that’ll be it.

Go update to the latest version. You’ll quickly figure out what the issue is.

What’s wrong with latest version?

Well, like it’s been explained a bunch of times in this thread and in the OP, the author nuked all usable information from it.

1 Like

What information?

Can you still access dungeons and see mob % and plan your own route?

Nope. Just a blank map.

Well I’m not downloading it then lol.

One I’ve got still works.