New update for MDT makes you pay for maps

Are you being stupid on purpose? You cannot profit off of Blizzard products. The only entity that’s allowed to make a dime off of Blizzard IPs is Activision Blizzard. There is everything wrong about putting a paywall on an addon, or anything else that augments a Blizzard product. Thank you for the dumbest thing I’ll read until 2021.

There is no need to be rude and/or insult me just because you have a different opinion. :slight_smile:

There is nothing wrong with putting a donation requirement to use someone elses work. If you like what the person has made… then you should be okay with paying to use their creation.

Yeah, I actually don’t care for Unnerving but in this scenario I agree with him. MDT gives you an easy-route template for every dungeon/week that takes a massive amount of earned knowledge responsibility out of your hands and just lets you enjoy the game.

If the people who make/maintain it are interested in being compensated for their work, then I don’t see the issue paying for a service you don’t have to have.

But also, if it’s against ToS, it’s against ToS, guess we’ll see what happens.

It’s absolutely against the TOS to require payment for any portion of your addons, including Additional “Optional” content (optional in quotes here because it is arguably required for the data to exist within the addon for it to provide the basic function it advertises). Failure to adhere to the can, among other things, result in removal of the addon by force and a permanent ban of the developer(s) from the game.

Additionally, the license this particular addon is released under (GNU General Public License (GPL) V2) has specific clauses regarding modification/copying the software and many of the complaint from the dev of the addon are along the lines of “They can’t circumvent it because I wrote it” from what I’ve read on the issue; Essentially, the original creator of the tool cannot say what others can and cannot do with the software once it is in their hands.

Where exactly does it say that in the ToS though that it’s not allowed?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/is-it-against-tos-to-put-addon-behind-paywall/246031/8

only person I know who has been sued by blizzard is the guy who created mmoglider which before he got sued use to be wow glider. think it was like 6 or 12 million dollars he got sued for.

Ah okay I did some more research and see what you mean.

Blizzard needs to terminate this ASAP. Doesnt really affect me but its bad for the community.

1 Like

It’s not. MDT serves no function without npc data. This addon needs to be removed by Blizzard if it’s going to be paywalled. It’s entire functionality revolves around mob data

Again you could create this data yourself, as an import string. No direct addon file modification required. Most of the tools required to generate this data, which weren’t even written by Nnoggie, are out there on the addons github repo.

But I never disagreed that this is a terrible move.

I’m just saying, weakauras also shouldn’t be paywalled. Since they are essentially addons within an addon, especially the ones with all sorts of custom triggers.

Half of the data he’s selling comes directly from datamining the clients db2 files. He doesn’t even have the right to sell this data regardless of any AddOn policies. Where would you draw the line? Reselling textures? Sound files? They are all owned by Blizzard, just like the tables that contain the information about mob percentage criteria.

1 Like

All of this happened during a time where there’s barely people on the works I highly doubt we might see something this week regardless.

Since people’s using buzzwords those that think they deserve to charge money for this are the most entitled ones.

You’re not entitled to anyones money, ever. Might as well drop the addon and move on if you think you “deserve” money.

So if blizzard does anything at all I see it going 2 ways. Either ban the addon completely or they say it breaks TOS and he has to put the data back in or stop development on the addon entirely. If this breaks their TOS, so any data for any addon behind a paywall is also breaking TOS?

People who think it’s a good idea to use a third party add-on to plan everything in a dunnis a bigger issue.

I say break the addon entirely. Ridiculous.

You don’t have a different opinion, you have a wrong opinion.

1 Like

Oh there is plenty wrong with this.

1. As many have pointed out, it is against ToS. It is of course up to Blizzard to enforce this, and this isn’t even the main issue.

2. The addon was released as open sourced software. One of the main purpose of open source is to eliminate the need of re-inventing the wheel. Because he did it, no body else had to and can instead contribute when needed if one is interested. If he wanted to get paid for it, then he shouldn’t have embarked on this at all from the beginning. This is a clear bait and switch. I assure you the original author is not the only one with the knowledge and ability to make this addon. Someone else will pick it up, someone already has.

1 Like

The addon literally does not function without the dungeon data, which are locked behind a paywall. Additionally, Rule 5 on the addon guidelines state that you cannot solicit donations through the addon, which is what this is doing through the ransoming of dungeon data. That’s ignoring the argument to be made about this going against the End User license agreement.

Even the most basic of Google search would have gotten you this answer as well, but here you go in all of its glory:

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/a2989b50-5f16-43b1-abec-2ae17cc09dd6/blizzard-developer-api-terms-of-use

2.B:

• Applications May Not Charge Premiums To Use The APIs. “Premium” versions of Applications offering additional for-pay features are not permitted, nor can players be charged money to download an Application, charged for services related to the Application, or otherwise be required to offer some form of monetary compensation to download or access an Application when those features use the Blizzard Developer APIs. Likewise, Applications may not include interstitials soliciting donations before features or functionality becomes available to the player. Also, players may not be required to watch a video advertisement before accessing a feature or function of the application.

While we’re here it’s worth pointing out that RaiderIO is also possibly in violation of these terms per 2.R:

• You must refresh your data no less frequently than every thirty (30) days. Data protection laws in Europe, the United States and other countries give players the right to withdraw from the Data set you will be using. You must implement a maximum 30-day TTL (time-to-live) policy for all Data obtained through our APIs. This means You will retain data pulled from Blizzard Developer APIs for no longer than 30 days. If You are a World of Warcraft specific API developer, You have the option to perform the Data refresh by validating through an API if a character ID still exists on the Blizzard side. If it doesn’t exist when hitting this API, the character is invalid, and You must delete the character information associated with that ID and not display that information.
1 Like

well ill tell ya this im not going to donate to someone who helped hide what josh did and was doing behind close doors echo and method should honestly go the f away

Nope! :slight_smile:

I just have a different opinion, doesn’t mean you are correct.

There’s nothing wrong with putting a paywall for using your content that you’ve created for people.