New type of Auction Bot Scam

My grocery store had a sale on bread and I bought some at a lower than average price. Next week the bread was back to normal price. What an absolute scam. Do you realize how stupid you sound now?

This has been happening for 18 years, you have to just be careful. And its not Bots doing it, there are aLOT of players that “play” the auction house.

It’s not a scam perse, but certainly falls into that category and is dodgy strat to snipe under market pricing.

It’s botting because if you fall for it, your items sold instantly.

It happens on every server to basically every single often used items.

Botting is only botting if your using a 3rd party software to control your toon to farm. Undercutting your prices by 50% to get players to put up stuff extremely cheap to buy quickly off them, is morally wrong but not against ToS nor will it get any banned or in trouble. (sadly).

They are botting and doing it fully automated. That makes it a scam. if its you just sitting there it makes you savy.

It’s definitely controlled by bots who auto snipe 1,000’s of items 24/7

I don’t know if I agree with that. The market sets the value of a given item, not the seller. If a person is attempting to monopolise a resource by buying everything below the anticipated market value and relisting at a profit, they run the risk of the relisted item not selling and they then have lost money on the sale and the deposits from the unsuccessful auctions.

I wouldn’t agree that the involvement of automated processes makes it a scam. The use of bots / AI to gain an unfair advantage is its own issues.

Agree here and eventually if they are using bots they will get caught up in WoWs ever few month purge of botters.

1 Like

You don’t get it.

Exactly.
And the market for Frozen Orbs is 60 gold today. Give or take.

Then some level 1 toon named “Auctionmaniac” will list FO at 20g on AH and all those folk who use addons, such as TSM, to scan bags and undercut by 1 copper, will under that 25g FO at 24g.99s99c. And then that same bot will instantly buy it out. Within half a second it will be sold.

Now, you could take the high-horse route and say, “well, players need to pay attention” or “Then don’t use addons”. Or you could actually admit you don’t play this game, otherwise you would have know that this is a scam and it’s equivalent to “Sort by Bid” scams where people accidently buy a mana potion for 199g instead of 1g 99s.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that FO be immediately purchased by another player’s add-on due to being below market value?

That’s not a scam. If you are using an AI to give you an advantage on the AH, that is at your own risk. You are effectively delegating your decision-making to the AI. Furthermore, manually listing an item at significantly below market value is a legitimate strategy for that very reason - it increases your chance of a sale, and if you are being savvy you can use it to drive down the value of the item.

Blizzard’s stance on this has long been ‘buyer beware’. It a scummy thing but if you are using it as a precedent, Blizzard doesn’t agree with you that it’s a scam.

One is scummy, so is the other.

I fail to understand why you are trying to fight it.

And for the player to snipe FO at 20g within 0.5s is practically statistically impossible.

1 Like

Because there is a difference between something being scummy and something being illegal.

And frankly, the people using AI to automatically undercut their competitors by 1 copper are also scummy and exploiting the “sort by bid” mechanic. So I don’t have any empathy if those same players are now having their AI turned against then to cause them to lose sales. They weren’t complaining when the AI was working for them to the detriment of other players.

You cannot logically argue that one method of using AI to undercut your competitors is not a scam, and the other method of using AI to undercut your competitors is.

its called SHIFT-V…noob

1 Like

One person sets bait at high price = scummy.
One person sets bait at low price = is not scummy?

TSM has ways to stop that from happening, the profile I use doesn’t let me sell for lower than what I’ve bought the item for and it won’t post an item for a fraction of the market value if that’s the lowest price it’ll say “below min price, posting normal”, conversly if an item is being sold for too much it’ll say “above max price, posting normal”.

Also you can set a confirm button when buying items that are higher than the market value, I’ve set mine to 150% and will save me from careless clicks.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/643477883859238924/1179654145641295912/image.png

It’s also likely that the people who are insta buying these items are using an AH sniper so that they can quickly buy from people that fall for it not to say that there aren’t bots that are doing it just saying that not all of them are bots.

If it’s for the purpose of baiting others into putting their items up for less then buying said item, yes.

If it’s just so that they get it to sell ASAP, no.

1 Like

I never said that.

I said it’s scummy people doing scummy things to other scummy people. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Average players who are not using AI to undercut competition on the AH have nothing to worry about. It’s absolute self-righteousness that players unashamedly admit they are using 3rd party add-ons to gain an unfair advantage on the AH, and then complain that other players are outsmarting their AI.

What are 3rd party addons? Aren’t all addons 3rd party? Or are you refering to things like the TSM desktop app?

I recognise that ‘3rd party add-on’ is superfluous but I wanted to emphasise that this is software that is not supported by Blizzard.

It might new to Classic, but it’s been going on for quite some time in Retail.

I guess you missed the part where “scam” is literally in the post title.