New to WoW, having trouble getting around zone to zone

I’m new to WoW, but not new to mmos in general and I’m having difficulties getting around the world. I’m lvl 18 Elf on Darnassus.

There no markers/legends on the map what so ever, how the heck do I find anything? I understand this is a very old game but damn the map is useless. Also finding any vendor npcs etc… is a pain because they’re not shown on the map. So how do I go from zone to zone?

I haven’t played alliance or low zones much, but In Stormwind, there is a board which gives you zone options and initial quests. After you start first the quest in a new zone, the quests take you throughout the zone. In the past, I always went to Ogrimmar at level 10 to get initial quests for zones. Save all your gold to buy larger bags.

I would queue for a few random dungeon finder dungeons (I key), and use the stormwind board to start in a new zone at level 20. Also, there are a massive amount of you tube videos on all things WoW.

1 Like

Darnassus can be a bit tricky until you get a quest to actually leave it. I’ll touch on that in a minute.

But you’ll find as you keep leveling that any time you acquire a quest that’s in a different zone, the game will still place an objective marker on your main map. The moment you pick up the quest, an arrow on the minimap will also pop up showing you which general direction it’s in. If you don’t have a zone fully explored to see the exits to other zones, just find the nearest path or road that takes you in that direction and it will generally lead you there without issue. In the event of a quest being on a different continent, the objective marker will lead you to the nearest portal to get to where you need to go.

As far as Darnassus goes, there’s no direct walking path to the mainland, but inside the actual city of Darnassus itself, look for a tree with a large glowing pink cloud under raised roots. (it’ll be the only one like this, so you’ll know it when you see it.) The pink cloud is a portal down to the water level and docks area of Darnassus.

As soon as you step through, if you make a hard left, there will be a flight master that can take you to the main land if you want to quest in Darkshore. Or, if you’d like to go to Stormwind and follow Astryss’ advice to pick up a quest into another new zone, the dock directly to the right when coming out of the pink portal will lead you to Stormwind.

Once you’re in Stormwind, open your map and go to either the Trade District or the Dwarven District to find the Hero’s call board. Alternatively, Shift + J together will open your Adventure Guide which will give you pretty much the same options.

As far as this goes, there’s no main map option for this, but you can track vendors on your minimap by clicking the magnifying glass on it. Also, if you’re in a city with guards, you can ask a guard what you’re looking for and it will put a temporary marker on both your minimap and main map to lead you to the NPC.

2 Likes

Alongside the mailbox next to the bank is a Hero’s Call board with breadcrumb quests leaving Darnassus. You can also hit the “Adventure Guide” icon on the mini-menu on your screen to see the breadcrumb quests.

Darnassus is located on the top of the World Tree. On an island next to the Bank and near the Flight Master is the tent with the pink glow inside it. Going through the glow will teleport you to the base of the world tree,

At the base is another flight master, and straight ahead is a dock with a portal at the end that can take you to Stormwind.
On the right, as you exit the pink glow tent, is another dock that can take you to Exodar, The Draeni starting area, but by level 18, most people are leaving it as well.

The flight masters, both in Darnassus and at the bottom of the tree, can fly you to Darkshore. Flying out of Darnassus proper however adds a few minutes to the flight as you first fly down the tree. It’s faster to run through the pink portal and get the flight from the flight master at the bottom of the tree.

Once you fly to Darkshore, a series of quests will send you further South through various quest hubs and into subsequent zones.

If you opt to head to Stormwind, the quests offered by your Adventure Guide and the Heroes Call board will change as SW is on a different continent than Darnassus is on.

2 Likes

At level 18 you should be headed to Darkshore. In Darnassus, look for the glowing pink gazebo (behind the bank to the left). If you take that, you’ll be teleported to the bottom of the tree. There is also a flight path near by. The Hero’s Call board near the bank should also give you a seed quest to go to Lor’Danel (I know that’s spelled wrong), which is the first city you can fly to outside of Teladrasill.

You can look at your adventure journal at any time to see which zones are recommended. The basic flow for the next few levels as a night elf is Darkshore, Ashenvale, then Stonetalong Mountains. You have a number of choices to go as the levels scale with you by zone. At level 58 you’ll be able to start questing either Outland (BC zones) or Northrend (WotLK zones). At 80 your choice will be Pandaria or Cata zones, at 90 WoD zones, 100 is Legion zones, 110 starts current BFA content.

2 Likes

Thanks all!