New to the server, got some questions!

Hello there! I am a roleplayer who just moved to this server. As I have no prior contacts or friends here, it’s a big step into the dark, and I would like to ask some questions about the server.

1. I have been told that this server is very Horde-dominant. Is there any roleplay on Alliance at all, or perhaps cross-faction shenanigans?
  2. Is walk-up/open world RP a thing here? If so, what are the hubs?
  3. What is the best way for a new player to get involved with the community? Are there any discord servers?
  4. How’s the server when it comes to timezones? I reckon most RP happens in the evening, but are there any communities that work around morning-noon schedules? Is it possible to find roleplayers out there at all times?
  5. Any other tips&tricks about the server I should know?

Thank you in advance :whale2:

7 Likes

What is your RP backstory?

I don’t really have one yet, still deciding on character. Would like to see more of the server first :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to Wyrmrest! I always feel weird plugging my own thread but I made it for this reason so please do check out:
WrA Information & Directories (Guilds | Communities | Events)

I know its a lot to read through though so hopefully I can summarize some answers (and others who are more active than me can give more details!)

1. I only play Horde so I can’t say much for Alliance RP, although I do see a lot of advertisements for regular public RP events! I’ve also seen interest in cross-faction RP expressed pretty often, its just a matter of making the effort to find those connections I would assume! Best bet for making connections on WrA in my experience is through the many server Discord groups.

2. Walk-up RP is a thing, but its mainly concentrated to one or two areas per faction. Can’t say what that would be for the Alliance (somewhere in Stormwind I presume) but for the Horde that’s mostly the Valley of Honor in Orgrimmar.
    Open world RP is much harder to come by unless you’re attending a public event or are part of a guild.

3. Discord servers and these forums are your best bet outside of just getting involved in-game at the RP hubs mentioned above. There’s a few listed in the directory but there’s many more (and I’m behind on updating them that’s my bad but it will be done soon.)

4. Most guilds/events seem to operate around the EST timezone, starting events between 5-6 server time (PST) usually, although there’s plenty of guilds who operate on different timezones, some even catering to Oceanic players. I’m sure you can find something to fit your schedule!

5. Keeping an eye on these forums and the discords as mentioned is your best bet to stay informed on public events/people seeking RP/etc. We’re a pretty friendly server as long as you are, so don’t be afraid to reach out in-game and ask questions!

8 Likes

Absolutely. Though being honest, it’s the end of expansion lull at the moment so things are a little dead.
A tumbleweed rolls by
Mostly.
Mostly dead.

Yup. Stormwind’s Mage’s District and Ogrimmar’s Valley of Honor are two hotspots.

Disable Trade and General Chats. Nothing good comes from either.

Speaking as someone who is in Central timezones…it’s possible to find RP no matter the time of day, but the big stuff and guild focused stuff tend to be towards what qualifies as my bed time. It’s a Pacific Time Zone server, so keep that in mind.

If the Worgen beckons you to cross the river and follow him into the glowing portal, make a right turn away from him and venture towards the light that has no source. There you will find a Dryad who will instruct you further. Whatever happens, remember to never smile back at the Pandaren offering you noodles.

7 Likes
  1. It is fairly Horde-leaning, but Alliance does have an active community. Cross-factions events and the like are plentiful, especially with the war shenanigans over with!
  2. Walk-ups are fairly common in Orgrimmar, Silvermoon City, and Stormwind. You can also occasionally find it in Pandaria at places like Dawn’s Blossom and Halfhill.
  3. Best way is likely just hearing of events ICly, but checking the forums here works well, too. You can often catch events by folks yelling about 'em in-game.
  4. You can find some casual RP at all hours, really. As for events and the like, though, they typically happen in the late afternoon hours (server time).
  5. Dive in! It can be tempting to sit around with “Walk-ups welcome!” in your profile and wait for something - and there’s nothing wrong with that. But if you really want to get engaged, wander right up to someone that looks interesting! Branch out a bit and you’ll meet some great folks!
5 Likes

This one seems okay. Can we keep her?

4 Likes

I would mostly reiterate the posts above, which contain excellent advice. Additionally, though, if you haven’t done it yet, I highly recommend installing an RP addon such as Total RP 3, MyRoleplay, or XRP. All three of those are cross-compatible, so pick whichever one you like the best.

These will allow you to create a profile for your character that can be read by others, as well as read the profiles of other people’s characters. Remember, though, that none of the fields in your addon have to be filled out before you get started; putting in your character’s full IC name is helpful, but everything else can be filled out – or not – as you go.

A profile addon is also a good place to note – somewhere like the “Other Information (OOC)” field in TRP3, for instance – that you’re new to RP and are trying to get established. Most people are inclined to be helpful when they know that you’re trying to learn, and might be able to point you to events and/or guilds that you may like.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy RP!

3 Likes

Thank you all :slight_smile: I am already familiar with RP addons, so that should be no issue. I’ve done roleplay on WoW before, though mainly on Alliance - primarily because my old server had a very small and toxic Horde community. I think I will try out the red side this time though!
Edit: On a second note, anybody got a valid invite to the Farstrider discord? I followed the link provided by Shaysinn, but the discord link there was invalid.

I totally thought you said “new roleplayer” for some reason. My bad!

Unfortunately, the owner of the Farstrider Network Discord recently posted (down at the current end of the directory thread) that it is now inactive. If the link isn’t working, then possibly the server was deleted?

1 Like

I’ll bring it up at the next council meeting.

I have been told that this server is very Horde-dominant. Is there any roleplay on Alliance at all, or perhaps cross-faction shenanigans?

Is walk-up/open world RP a thing here? If so, what are the hubs?

This is true. RP Alliance is still there, but you’ll get more bang for your buck if you join a guild. This is almost always true for WRA in general. Walkup RP does exist, but it’s not as lucrative as it is on MG Alliance.

What is the best way for a new player to get involved with the community?

Getting the addon TRP is a good start and pretty much just going out and joining RP & Guild events.

How’s the server when it comes to timezones?

Are there any communities that work around morning-noon schedules? Is it possible to find roleplayers out there at all times?

We’re a PST server, but it’s pretty lively in the evening. There are probably guilds that do, you’ll just have to go fishing for em. We’re a pretty large server, but you’ll most likely find success for that specific time range on the Horde side.

Any other tips&tricks about the server I should know?

Feel free to make an alt and try out the server.

1 Like