New to RP, seeking guidance

Hey there!

I’m a returning player thinking about trying out Wyrmrest Accord for my new home realm. I’m thinking Wyrmrest Accord because I hope a RP realm is more social than the realms I use to play on, I want to start doing light RP and I heard RP realms raid as well.

I do have some questions.

1. Are there addons that help with getting into light RP?
  2. Is Wyrmrest Accord more Horde or Alliance populated? Or decently balanced?
  3. Are RP realms more social than high populated realms? All I see on the high pop realms now are carry spams.

Also, additional help, I’m trying to decide if I want to RP as a Hunter or a Paladin. For my Hunter, I am thinking “A hunter surviving off the land, patrolling the borders to protect the land and to find the next big hunt” and for my Paladin, “A holy knight, going to town to town to help out those who need it, and smiting evil that stands in my way”. Probably cliche on both parts, what would you add or remove for both of them to help get me a better story for them going?

1 Like

Welcome!

At the top of these forums is this thread: Compendium of Roleplay Guides - #2 by Greyah-wyrmrest-accord which is a great resource for new Rpers, and answers a question or two of yours. I recommend checking that out.

To answer your other questions, RP realms can seem more social, because you’ll see RPers RPing in the world, where on other realms folks are usually running content or talking in groups or guild chat from the comfort of a rest area.

WRA is predominately Horde-leaning population wise, but we all share the same spirit and passion for the community as a whole.

I hope you’ll be happy here and please don’t hesitate to ask more questions or get involved.

Have fun!

2 Likes

As for addons, I would get TotalRP3. If you got to events with more than 20 people, Elephant and Listener. Some other addons would be Cross RP and Emote Splitter. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes, several. Most people these days use TRP3 or TRP3 Extended, but some still use MRP or XRP, though you find that XRP is no longer supported beyond bug fixing. Choosing one of these addons is practically mandatory for WoW RP.

There are other addons to provide some QoL changes. There is Paste, which provides a larger chat window for typing, Elephant, which in part provides a larger chat window for reading, and then addons like Listener which can help in crowded spaces.

In good times (re: not SL, and not in the midst of a scandal), WrA was fairly 50/50. You’ll find both populations have become a bit smaller (see my previous note), and Horde is currently larger than Alliance. However, there is still a group of dedicated Alliance RPers on WrA that typically comes online in the evenings.

Generally, yes. RP realms typically have a stronger focus on community given that RP is community-based, and that tends to spread to other facets of the game as well.

2 Likes

Just as a note: who cares if it’s cliche, do what you want. I’ve found that even though it’s cliche for a reason, in MMORPGs especially folks will decide that they’re going to add some kind of “twist” to make the character “interesting and edgy”, making the cliche characters hard to find. Beyond that, they’re you’re characters, the most important thing is that you have fun playing them.

3 Likes

Not much more I can say to help that others have not already pointed to/out

So, welcome to Wyrmrest Accord!

2 Likes

Welcome!

Six years ago, I decided to try Wyrmrest Accord to see if role-playing might bring me back to the game and return a sense of fun and wonder to it for me.

It did. And I’ve never left.

I wish the same for you, friend.

4 Likes

Missed this thread apparently! I wanted to address this line here just for clarification for you. When Maxi says it’s practically mandatory, that’s for two reasons.

One, it’s quite fun to fill out and immensely handy to have for outlining your character and remembering traits for continuity.

Two, it provides people with vital information. You can add OOC (out of character AKA non-RP) notes into the profile so people know you’re new, or also to include your preferred styles of RP, such as multi paragraph vs short, quick posts, or themes like adventure, drama, or romance.

Unfortunately, RPers are common targets for trolls. Some even pretend to be trying to RP and then start doing stuff after you acknowledge them to disrupt you. So most people have developed a habit of dismissing people without RP profiles as trolls. Thus without one, you’ll have a lot more of a challenge finding people who will engage with you.

I’d also like to say cliche is not only acceptable but, in my opinion, recommended for your first character. It provides a solid foundation to build off of without putting too much pressure on you so you can focus instead a compelling personality. Altielle started out as a cliche warlock nightborne and now she’s very unique as she’s grown!

And lastly, I’d avoid including flaws in first your character that makes them unlikable. That would include a temper, pride, racism, fanaticism, etc… Those flaws are wonderful to have your character grow from and overcome, but character interactions are a two-way street! If a character is mean and unlikable, then many will try to avoid them. Not because the player doesn’t want to RP, but because generally people don’t like being around meanies and people are going to RP their characters accordingly.

My suggestion is to play a character who is endearing enough to keep contact with others. This could range from kind and loyal to naive and innocent, as examples. Focus on getting a feel for RP and meeting gentle people who will stick with you and help you on your journey.

Happy trails, my friend!

3 Likes

For my Hunter, I am thinking “A hunter surviving off the land, patrolling the borders to protect the land and to find the next big hunt” and for my Paladin, “A holy knight, going to town to town to help out those who need it, and smiting evil that stands in my way”.

Don’t think of it as Cliche! Think of it as Classic. And let yourself get a feel for the character as you RP them! Most characters that I know of that people loved playing just kinda developed as they went. Hope you have fun here, my brother!

3 Likes