New to Frost Mage

Hello!

Switched to my Mage, figured what better time than to bring her up to date on SL.

I’m having some questions about the rotation though… please consider she is brand spanking new 60 with no gear.

Is there a reason to ever hard cast Flurry if I am going through a long string of no-procs for whatever reason?

Never hard cast flurry. Frostbolt is your filler spell and will get you more procs

2 Likes

in simplest terms, if lights up cast it, otherwise use frostbolt. Also the water elemental pet Freeze is very useful in PVE solo content. icyveins has a petty good start rotation to get you going.

Thank you! Already reached 60 and im above ilvl 200 this afternoon. So far so good! :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing a mage for years and love the casting animations compared to my balance druid. zoom in and check out the frost animations on a target dummy it’s pretty wild looking.

When you get better you’ll learn to setup shatter combos. Basically, pet freeze/frost nova some mobs right after you cast icelance to see some pretty yellow numbers. works pretty well to do it before blizzard as well. The guide should have something in there about that.

another trick is when you get your brainfreeze proc cast frostbolt and immediately after the cast use the brainfreeze with flurry and chase it with two icelances to use up the proc you get from it.

and polymorph is way more fun than it should be, use it!

1 Like

So yeah, I play around with poly because im running lonely winter, and it is super fun! Especially now that I am 30% Crit hehe yellow numbers indeed! I still want to be able to set up better for AoE, I feel like I need to not panic and stack CDs correctly, BUT hopefully went I get my leggo tonight I might be able to improve on that.

aoe is pretty simple but you need to make sure your specced into splitting ice. it’s pretty much just drop an orb into the crowd and icelance them to oblivion when they light up. If your close you can frost nova the crowd as well and do the same thing. blizzard is decent if they’re stacked up. Shatter combos/ice lance is the core of my AOE with frost. give it time and you’ll get good at it.

1 Like

For the most part, Lonely Winter is just so strong in almost all forms of PvE that you wouldn’t run the Ele.

2 Likes