New to Dungeons

Is there at any point I should be doing dungeons or just focusing on questing and leveling up? I really would like to try and start doing dungeons. I just don’t know if there is a certain level I should be or if I should have certain armor. Currently level 20. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi… im doing both.

You can do quest while queuing for dungeon.

In the dungeon… make sure you accept all the quest before start the dungeon.

In the lazy day, i just do the dungeon.

1 Like

It’s pretty much up to you how you want to spend your time. There are no requirements unless you’re max level and trying to get into raiding or ranked PvP.

Some people quest the whole way to 120, which is slower, but gives you a chance to explore the world more. Others will only do dungeons or PvP to level up, which is quicker and (in the case of dungeons) offers better gear than pure questing, but can be relatively boring.

My preference when I’m leveling a new toon is the hybrid style that Jonesyz mentioned - queueing for dungeons while questing. This method works best for dps classes, as dps queues are longer (tank and healing queues, especially at lower levels, tend to be pretty close to instant). It’s relatively efficient from a speed standpoint, and you don’t get tired of just doing the same kind of thing over and over.

1 Like

They unlock at level 15, so anytime after that is good. If you want to do them, jump in and do them. You can level entirely thru dungeons if you want. You’ll miss out on some story and some reputation gains and stuff like that.

Each dungeon unlocks at a specific level and scales to you. You don’t need specific armor, but you will get much better armor as dungeon rewards… so running dungeons gears you best for running dungeons.

Assuming you know to queue for dungeons use the little green eye icon on the mini-bar that has all the utility features. Make sure you check the box next to the role you want to perform.

You can select “random” (which usually gives a bonus piece of equipment) or “specific” using the little arrow at the top of the “finder” window".

Its usually considered best to run as dps initially, until you learn the dungeon and are confident in your play. so as a warrior arms or fury spec. If you tank or heal and don’t know what your doing you may get some negative attention from the group, especially if your getting lost or causing wipes.

It is highly likely that the group you will queue into will be longtime players and that they will speed run the instance. just follow along and do the best you can. some groups go really, really fast. You might feel like you are missing something, but after running the same dungeon a few times that kind of goes away.

People are also, generally, fairly unsocial in random dungeons - just focus on completing and moving on. Don’t take it personally. You will get bad groups that fail, you will get good groups, groups that fight, groups that try to kick a player for some reason. Don’t let it discourage you - most runs are smooth and drama free, but sometimes they are the opposite of that.

Most of the guides you can google are a bit out of date, as things like “loot rules” have been streamlined. So if you google stuff, check that date. Anything prior to August 2018 is going to be a bit wrong.

2 Likes

Do dungeons! Lots of Dungeons! They are fun.

Some advice,

1. Tell people you are a new player and new to a dungeon as soon as you enter. A new player who makes mistakes will get encouragement and advice.
  2. Follow the Tank. Don’t attack anything unless the Tank has attacked it.
  3. Make sure you loot everything. That sparkly stuff is just for you. Other people will get their own loot.
  4. If you get lost, ask for help in chat.
1 Like

You’ve got to be careful with this. For as many players that will help out a new player, there are just as many who will initiate a vote kick just because a player says they’re new. Unfortunately there’s no way to tell them from the decent sorts until it’s too late…

A player pulling unnecessary stuff, going in the wrong direction or generally doing the wrong things is a jerk who should be kicked

Unless they say they’re new in which case, they’re not a jerk but someone who who needs help.

I’ve never seen anyone kicked from a leveling dungeon because they were new but pull the wrong mob…

I’d argue that in such a case you probably end up dodging a bullet by getting kicked. The sort of people who would kick someone just for being new are probably the type to make a run miserable anyhow. Also, I suspect that it’s pretty rare to begin with. As Tinkerrific said, I’ve never seen anyone get kicked for saying they are new.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the Advice! :slight_smile:

If your joining as dps, no need to say your new. If your joining as a tank, I would just say “First time” when you enter so they know why your slow. You won’t get vote kicked for being a new tank because they don’t want to wait for another tank, which can take a long time.

I highly recommend you mix in dungeons because it teaches you how to play in a team. In the end game, you will be running lots of dungeons and raids so you should learn now.

I also highly recommend that you learn to play all three specs on your class now while leveling. Protection, fury, and arms. Google “icy veins class guides” and follow the proper rotations and talents before you are set in bad habits. YouTube also has tons of class guides.

1 Like

out of curiosity, PVP such as capture the flag and other… offers EXP too ?

I need to make good score to get more EXP … correct ?

Everytime I did the PVP, I always score in the middle (both alliance + horde)

For me, PVP is for fun.

1 Like

Instanced PvP does offer xp, but I’m not certain how the scaling for that works as PvP is not within my sphere of interest.

Presumably you gain a set amount of xp for completing any PvP instance (either arena skirmishes or battlegrounds) through the random group tool, just as you would for completing a random dungeon through the dungeon finder.

1 Like

The amount of exp you get in battlegrounds is determined by if your team wins or loses. A win awards a lot more exp than a loss.

1 Like

If you win, its great xp. If you lose, its awful.

If you’re really gung ho on pvp, go for it! Otherwise its worth doing as a fun change of pace thing.

Unfortunately, there are some people who take pvp way too seriously and lash out when things don’t go exactly their way. Go in with a thick skin. If you’re not sure what to do, ask people right at the start. If you think someone is being a total jerk, don’t talk to him just right click him in chat and select Ignore from the popup window. If the player is really being a total a–, Report him.

Arena’s are pretty simple in theory: find the enemies and kill them and try not to die. Stay in line of sight of your teammates and close enough to switch over and help them or be helped by them.

Most battlegrounds fall into 2 categories: capture the flag or capture a place
Capture the flag
Someone runs into the enemy base and picks up the enemy flag and then runs back to your base and stands for a few seconds in a special circle platform next to where your own flag would be. Can’t get the point if the enemy team is also carrying your flag.

Capture a place
You basically get a certain # of points every second for controlling specific location. To capture a location you go up to it and click the flag (usually) which takes like 10+ seconds.

Then you have battlegrounds that are mix of those 2 things. Epic battlegrounds are generally more complicated.

Whatever you do, don’t go off all lone wolf charging into a fight by yourself. You’re just a free kill for the other team. You only win at battlegrounds playing as a team.

And remember, fair fights are for suckers.

1 Like

thanks for your reply im lvl 85 now … lol