New to demon hunter

Hello guys, I am brand new to melee, as well as this class. and while I have been having a blast with it, I think I may be playing it wrong. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some helpful resources to improve my DH play…

Thanks in advance y’all

either spec is 4 buttons lol. I know this isnt helpful information but it would take you 10 minutes to learn the class. Good luck bro!

If you’re having a blast, it means you’re probably playing Havoc. Havoc is so weak at the moment, that it’s ludicrous.

Yes to learn the basics, It is easy same as any other class in the game at this point besides maybe aff lock in raids, I’m just asking if there are any resources that could help me understand the class on a the advanced level, I understand the basics for the most part already.

yes, i see exactly the problem here. the problem is that you’ve added demon before the word hunter. if you remove demon your game play experience should flow perfectly. you could even smash your face on the keyboard and come out on top.
cheers

2 Likes

Wowhead.com…read the havoc guide
DH Discord
Warcraftlogs…look through the rankings of the Top DH’s. Come through their logs See what they are doing.

I’m a DH novice compared to the rest of the pros in this sub forum, but I have some experience. I really like the class.

To me, the important thing is not wasting fury, or over capping it. Depending on your traits, it’s really easy to have eyebeam fill up your bar. The temptation is to just mash eyebeam whenever you see it, and sometimes you want your fury juuuuuuust low enough to cast it.

Managing your positioning, using your cool down skills, when to pop metamorp etc.

If you run the chaos theory leggo like I do, then you have to manage that when it triggers.

Toss in defensive cool downs , stuns and interrupts and there are plenty of “buttons” to hit. I don’t see it as “4 button mash, ez”

1 Like

Appreciate the reply, I haven’t really played wow In a while so I’m trying to get back into the swing of things still. So I’m a little rusty at the moment.

I’ve been trying to make momentum work, but I might have failed. Feel free to try it out tho.

The first blood, trail of ruin singe target build is fun. You should experiment to see which you like : eyebeammzzzzzzzz or blade dance

Havoc guide on wowhead and icy veins has misinformation about certain talent and covenant choices the last time i checked

@ OP, i personally run the demon blades/first blood build (3310201). It is my preference, the cycle of hatred build (1130101) is also viable. The former being single target oriented (which is where we are weak right now), and the latter being AoE oriented (which is where we are strong)

With the First Blood build, your stat priority is Agi > Haste > Versatility > Crit >>>>Mastery). Having about 20% haste is highly desired as it will increase your attack speed, and your fury generation as a result. Versatility is a close second, and crit falls in 3rd because it’s not super consistent at this point in the expansion. Mastery falls flat on its face because it only affects a couple abilities.

DH is a simple beast, so the rotation isn’t really hard to maximize, and your performance will just largely depend on your familiarty with a given encounter.

With the first blood build you

1. Use blade dance on cooldown
  2. Try and pool enough fury for a decent eyebeam window
  3. Use Eyebeam on cooldown
  4. Use Immolation Aura on cooldown
  5. Fill with chaos strike.
  6. Use felblade whenever you feel it won’t overcap your fury.
  7. If no fury, throw glaive.

This doesn’t tell you everything, however, as there are some slight nuances, you want to be aware of with your timing of these abilities.

1. Hold blade dance/eyebeam until you can use them in conjunction. The demonic window is 6 seconds long, and you have just barely enough room to get 2 blade dances in. This is why pooling some fury is important, you always want enough fury to eyebeam immediately into a blade dance, and so the cooldown on BD will be up before demonic ends.

2. For metamorphosis timing. In the past, you could eyebeam, blade dance, meta, eyebeam, blade dance, and Furious Gaze would stack durations. This is no longer the case. You want to use your first demonic window entirely before using meta again, but don’t hold the second eyebeam.

For AoE intensive situations with this build, i sub out Trail of Ruin for Glaive Tempest. Everything remains the same, rotationally.

The legendary you are targeting with this build is Chaos Theory, it is a huge buff to your single target DPS.

I am not as familiar with the Cycle of Hatred build, i find it really boring, but it’s basically this

1. Take Blade Dance off of your bars and replace it Glaive Tempest.
  2. You instead want to try and dump fury before eyebeam with Blind Fury.
  3. Use Glaive Tempest on Cooldown
  4. Chaos strike as much as possible to get the cooldown reduction on Cycle of Hatred
  5. Eyebeam on cooldown.

Versatility is more equal to haste in this build, as you are not relying on having a bunch of haste for fury generation.

The legendary you are targeting with this build is Collective Anguish.

Now lets’ talk about Covenant choices.

-Night Fae is the best “all-arounder” pick for havoc. Great single target, Great cleave, and Niya is the best soulbind. Not as good for tanking as Kyrian, but not bad either.
-If m+/tanking exclusively is your goal Kyrian is the best pick.
-Venthyr is single target oriented, and not a bad pick. Bad for tanking though.
-Necrolord is a do-not-touch as it currently is. It might be worth taking in 9.0.5. We’ll have to see.

4 Likes

these dudes are saying some decent relevant stuff. be aware of your fury capping and what tools you have when you don’t have any fury to use. as a blood elf you can use your active skill to generate a little if you’re dry. the throw glaive also makes a good filler when you’re out. if the target has buffs your siphon magic skill will also generate you fury.

i see that you’re fairly low level on it right now so for now your basic combo for engaging a mob will be to fel rush toward it / through it, then use immolation aura. after that use your generator once so you have enough resource to play with. then hit it with eye beam followed by blade dance. then use your generators and use chaos strike accordingly. utilize blade dance and eye beam whenever they’re up.

It is actually advised not to hold blade dance. The damage it does to a primary target is still more than a buffed CS, and the cooldown is short enough that clipping isn’t really a worry, you also want to maintain max uptime on trail of ruin.

2 Likes

I like both sides of the First blood / Cycle of Hatred choice.

When chaos theory procs, it feels SUPER nice if you have the cycle traited. Haste boosted by demonic you can get 4-5 chaos strikes in…and suddenly eyebeam is up again. Brrrrrrrrrrrr

I switch back and forth between the two. I will say felblade feels really nice as a gap closer. Both sides feel good to me. Can’t decide. Maybe raid vs mythic would determine it.

I think icy veins says about as much

it looks like you’re right, thanks for that info

Dude that was awesome I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to explain that to a noob to not only the class but melee as a whole… Thank you so much.

Misinformation is the wrong word to use…it imply’s intent. Which isn’t the case.

Talent Choices are basic and not completely wrong. Offering you 2 builds an Aoe Build and ST build…which are the same as you mentioned in your post.

I’ll give you Perhaps Covenants could use some tweaking. Still the info isn’t completely wrong (at least that I have found).

Guides were written before release (although they do get updated) and are based of Sims (which I forgot to mention in first post…sim you character) Sims are machines, and in real gameplay not everyone is a machine, nor is every encounter plant your feet and turret for a set amount of time. So sometimes in actual practice and gameplay things my pan out different.

Just to through my 2 cents in. The Aoe Build with using Blind Fury and Cycle is better for beginning…less to manage. The Single target build is more gear dependent. Since I don’t like so swap talents for each fight. For Raiding I use 3/3/3 with first blood. Its a middle ground, still strong on ST, but also decent on Aoe and Cleave.

my helpful 2 cents for pvp would be, Fel Blade + Demon Blades will help you stay mobile and not be fury starved, if you run the Collective Anguish legendary, you can use the defensive fel devastation conduit and get some hp back from Eye Beam. Works on ice blocked mages, and bubbledins, will give you hp as long as you hit something,

Also Fel Eruption --> Glaive Tempest --> Eye Beam is a good combo. If you are night fae Niya will give you a lot more Chaos Damage which will help that combo and help chaos strike to not be weak. If you are venthyr id stay away from pvp for now or reroll, Good Luck, its hard out here. get familiar with your pvp talents and your opponents strengths.detainment and the darkness talent are very strong as well as reverse magic/mortal rush/immolation cleanse.

ALSO NEVER EVER USE EYE BEAM IF YOU HAVE MIND GAMES LOL wait it out or reverse magic because it triggers per hit and eye beam hits like 20 times in 3 seconds, it took me watching a priests health rapidly go from 5% to 70% from eye beam to learn, thats something i wouldnt put any dh through lol, as for pve the majority of players use cycle of hatred with the cycle of chaos legendary to trigger demonic eye beam as often as possible but i mainly pvp

1 Like

The thing that bothered me about their talent selection was that they said that Trail of Ruin was never to be taken because it didn’t do enough damage compared to Glaive Tempest, but when simmed against eachother, they perform almost perfectly equally on ST.

And Trail just has better synergy with Chaos Theory than glaive tempest because of the Fury economy of it.

1 Like

This is great advice if you want to be bad. Havoc is in a terrible place but if you think you can press 4 buttons and be good at your class then you’re going to fail.

Using Chaos Theory with cycle will do less damage over the course of a fight than using Collective Anguish.

Unlike the above people I actually took the time to look at your logs. Here’s what you need to do:

1.) Felblade/Demon blades, First blood, Trail of Ruin, First Blood, Demonic. This is one build. Do not get creative and throw in glaive tempest; that will reduce your damage.

2.) For AoE you run Blind Fury, Insatiable Hunger, Glaive Tempest, Cycle of Hatred, Demonic.

3.) Your versatility is terribly low. Get rid of all your mastery gear ASAP. You want Versatility, then a mixture of crit and haste.

4.) You want Celestial Guidance on one weapon and Sinful Revelation on the other. Primary/Secondary setup will be determined by a sim. Your higher ilvl weapon always goes in main hand but you seem to be good on that front.

5.) Get Eternal Skirmish and Eternal Agility.

In terms of rotation your damage break down isn’t that bad. However, you need to be crisp about hitting your abilities. Pooling fury is nice and all that, but right now just focus on hitting everything promptly. Your waste fury isn’t so bad and it mostly seems to come from Demon Blades which means you can get more chaos strike casts.

I actually really appreciate you taking the time to look at my logs haha, my guild brought me into a heroic run and I had only been level 60 for like a day or two at that point, and had 0 experience raiding as Melee

1 Like