New Tank Question

I thoroughly enjoy tanking in most other online games and classic WoW. Ive hit max level in BFA almost a year ago and quit the game after that, so my knowlege of dungeons is non existant. Ive noticed the wow community gets pretty rude with players that dont know everything out the gate. So im hesitant about coming back and tanking. Honestly, what are the chances, on Stormrage, that ill get flamed by the community if i dont already know the dungeons and im nit running through the dungeon like a bat out of hell?

Most dungeons are cross-realm so don’t worry about your server.

My suggestion, don’t use the random finder - but choose your dungeon. Run it on normal and then heroic a few times using the “choose specific” option and learn each dungeon one by one. Run it a few times a move on to the next. I like using this guide, and leave it open to alt-tab to is I get lost, but there are other good ones out there.

I’d also recommend method dungeon tools if your tanking as you can draw paths over the mad you can easily access in game. Made for M+, but useful if your just learning and trying to remember routes.

2 Likes

Solid advice from Djarro.

Starting on normal will allow you see the content and learn the content without much mechanical challenge and each time you increase the difficulty the trash, bosses, and eventually dungeon itself on M+ will start to challenge you more.

All you have to say is “First Time” as soon as you enter a dungeon with randoms. The pressure will be off and they will understand why your slow.

I just queued for a Lich King dungeon as a tank, mentioned I was new and they kicked me within 5 minutes. Is there anyway to avoid this? I’ve only played for about a month and finally made myself a death knight after getting warrior to 55. I’m hoping this isn’t how it goes with random parties from now on. Any advice?

I find it’s the luck of the draw.

At 120 no problems at all from someone who has done many normal/heroic LFRs A’s tank. Even carried a +2 key. Definitely agree with saying you’re new.

If they kicked you fast, feel lucky since you have instant queues. They could have trolled you harder by kicking right before the final boss. Sometimes (pretty rare) groups of friends queue together and kick the outsider for kicks…to be cool and laugh about it.

I just leveled a brewmaster monk tank from 1-120 and never got kicked out of a group. I’d say it’s very rare if your not doing anything major wrong.

I suggest going through the dungeon as fast as you can. If there is a wipe slow the pace down. Random players would rather you try a fast run and wipe, compared to just going slower and playing it safe. They want to level as fast as possible. That said, check the healers mana before you pull a boss