New tank in WoW, need to understand the core mechanics

Hello everyone,

As you may have read the heading Im a new tank in WoW, specifically playing brewmaster monk. I have tanked extensively in ESO and wanted to ask how does core mechanics go in WoW. In ESO there is soft taunt, hard taunt, sustains, AOE taunts etc. I was wondering how does WoW tanking works compared to ESO tanks. I tried tanking starting at level 25 and I use Keg smash on mobs to get them to come to me, using my purifying brew to negate damage along with stagger. For bosses I use the actual taunt ability. Is this the right rotation?

My next question is where I can find a guide that just goes over tank armors for low level players and rotations without getting into shadowlands end game covenents stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Please take with a grain of salt as I’ve not tanked much or anything crazy like mythics. I just noticed your question hanging and wanted to give brief input.

Most of a tank’s attacks generate much more threat than other roles so usually it’s enough to just hit things. You have a specific taunt, which is best used to grab a mob going for someone who generates too much threat as an emergency. It also can be used to start off big fights since it continues taunting for a few seconds.

I’m afraid that’s all I’ve got to offer and it might be wrong for harder content, just wanted to give you a reply before a better tank hopefully sees this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey thanks for the response. I didnt know of the threat generation. Thanks for letting me know what it is. I have recently unlocked a few brews on my brewmaster that gives me more sustain and armor, I used them along with purifying brew and keg smash to keep aggro on me and live to tell tale. There have been few instances where I was sweating in Waycrest manor and Underot dungeon but I managed to pull through thanks to our healer yesterday.

Do you know about the stagger mechanic on brewmasters?

Brewmaster is one of the easier tanks to pull I don’t have much experience with them but i do have a tank class in all of them level 2 level 60s 1 50 1 40 something and a 1 19 brewmaster. There is hard taunts thats gonna be your regular taunt abilites the soft taughts would be something that generates high threat it will say so in the ability. Warriors soft taunt is shattering throw or paladins is the thrown shield attack dks would be of course their heart strike and then you have your etc. we generate threat through or damage and abilites so aoe abilities are good or stunning abilites are good and knowing your class. Like that warriors are great for physical blocks but not magical and paladin is good for blocking both. Its all about managing your abilities if you need some more help my with indepth classes feel free to message me on my discord logan-cga-elemy#4781 or battlenet LoganCGA#1309 I can help with key binding and catagorizing so its easier to understand abilites and stuff if you wanted to.

Hi,

I have years of ESO tanking under my belt (including some hardmode trial trifectas) as well as plenty of WoW tanking (in Shadowlands expansion). In WoW, as has been stated there is a taunt, but what it does is force you to be at the top of the threat table. Also, as others have said, many of your abilities generate more threat than a player in DPS spec generates. Most people use addons to give themselves more visibility into which mobs you have threat on so you can kind of get an overview of which mobs may need a bit of an extra “nudge” to pay attention to you. In higher mythic + key dungeons, one little add can often one-shot a DPS or healer if you miss this. This won’t happen at lower difficulties as much.

You probably also know that tanks in ESO do basically very little damage and they have powerful self-heals. You often see groups running hard dungeons with no healers because typically more damage means quicker success. In WoW, as tank, you can and should dish out as much as you can. Not only does this help with threat generation but also helps complete fights quicker → less problems along the way. WoW tank specs are also more limited in their self-heals than in ESO, meaning you really will struggle in more difficult content without a healer.

In summary, WoW tanking is more complex than ESO but I feel also more rewarding. You’re not relegated to being a buff-bot where the DPS do the glory-work. WoW also offers higher scaling difficulties if you really want to push yourself. The hardest raid bosses in ESO is probably equivalent to low to middle tier mythic raid bosses, but the end tier raid bosses in WoW there is not much of an equivalent in ESO. Dungeons in ESO has only 3 difficulties whereas mythic+ has a much higher difficulty scaling range.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, I apologize for not checking up on forums since. I have had more experience since I posted this question when it comes to tanking as a brewmaster. I am doing 10+ dungeons now with slight to no difficulty and I do agree that it is definitely more rewarding than ESO.

1 Like