New Sorta Spicy Dungeon Journal Update re: Muehzala

Okay but why is he a villain though and why did the Faraki worship him instead of Bwon

Why is he a villain? Because he’s pretty much presented as much with what little we had of him: in the kid’s book no one read. Otherwise, why the Farraki still worship him? It’s possible his presence as a loa was wide spread before they broke off, and sometime after the other tribes became familiar with Bwonsamdi and the sand trolls stuck with Muehzala.

I know but I am asking what is he doing that’s like, villainous, like why are we siding with Bwom over him

I wish the sand trolls would come back. They were cool.

Because he’s being a bad guy and doing bad things? From what I’ve gathered it isn’t all that fleshed out, he’s just kind’ve there and taking souls away from Bwonsamdi. I think it’s also insinuated Muehzala is working with the Jailer, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I mean if I had to guess this is probably it. Kinda goofy though. He seems like a cool Loa that could’ve been put to more use.

Devouring souls for himself and sending the rest to the Jailer.

1 Like

Alliance gods get all the goodies. Alliance bias in blizzard going strong as ever. Didn’t expect anything else.

1 Like

This is so weird, if he was the pre-Bwonsamdi bwonsamdi then why do the Zandalari - the oldest tribe, and explicitly the lorekeepers of trolls - know nothing about him? Why is it only the Farraki off in a remote corner of the world isolated from every other tribe? How did they come to learn about him when even the Zandalari don’t?

2 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t know or care about its own lore.

1 Like

Blizzard cares about alliance bias the most. Just same old news.

Records are never perfect. It’s also not unreasonable for the lorekeepers to have purposefully omitted him, either on their own or Bwonsamdi told them to forget him.

I don’t think they’ve said anything to this affect?

That doesn’t explain the Farraki though.

The Farraki didn’t attempt to forget him, or they were able to keep the secret while everyone has been be taught otherwise. I’m just giving reasonable solutions. There are plenty of real life examples of a culture suppressing or rewritting their own history.

This could be a point of contention between Muehzala and Bwonsamdi, that the latter not only his position as the most dominant loa of death, but made the world forget(mostly). I doubt it will be, but possibilities.

The Farraki only became isolated from the other tribes because of the Sundering, is the thing. They were part of the Gurubashi before that. So if they were able to keep up Mueh’zala worship because of their isolation, then that means he was worshiped as recently as 10,000 years ago, which means Bwonsamdi is a lot younger than we were led to believe and also contradicts him saying he predates trolls in SotH.

Any way I look at it there’s no good explanation without retconning something, and I personally feel that if you can’t tell a story without retcons then that story shouldn’t be told.

2 Likes

I mean, or alternatively, Mueh chose to meddle in the Farraki out of boredom. Dude seems petty.

1 Like

Am I the only one who feels it weird that we are looking at gods and and then saying to them “What makes these god real?” when all that really matters is that they are well gods?

Bwonsamdi saying he predates the trolls could honestly mean anything or absolutely nothing. He’s a god. Reality is whatever he damn well decides it is and more importantly, what his followers believe.

3 Likes

It’s speculation on my part, but I suppose it’s possible Mueh’zala could have approached the Farraki after the Sundering. They were far away, on the other side of the world from the loa that could have helped them out (and any native loa of their own, like the Drakkari… except maybe some hydras they bound), and the Zandalari who could have taught them better, in an ecosystem quickly deteriorating into desert. It’s not hard to see Mueh’zala reaching out to a desperate people, and being like “You’re stuck out here now, all alone. Worship me, and I’ll help… or don’t, and perish.”

3 Likes

A lot of people in these forums are probably atheists and can’t wrap there heads around religion

1 Like

To be fair Bwon specifically is based on the Voodoo Loa Baron Samedi, who every much does have an “origin” within the mythos, usually as the first man to have ever died and given responsibility by Papa Legba. Like Bwon’s origin in-game parallels his origin IRL in many Voodoo Houses.

Every religion functions in unique ways with unique theologies.

Hell, even the God of Abraham “works” differently within Jewish Theology vs Christian Theology vs Islamic Theology, and further still within doctrines/teachings of Ashkenazi Reform vs Ashkenazi Hasidic vs Catholic vs Eastern Orthodox vs Oriental Orthodox vs Church of the East vs Protestant (and the 2000 denominations therein) vs Sunni (and the four Madhhab umbrellas therein) vs Shia (and the usually three Madhhab umbrellas therein) vs etc etc etc.

3 Likes