New SL Systems, PvP MOBA Game Mode?

This has been talked about before, but with new systems coming in Torghast (special powers and vendor items exclusive to the tower), I think WoW is stepping closer to the boundaries of being able to make a true MOBA game mode in WoW.

Don’t you think this would be awesome? A mesh between WoW, LoL, Dota and Smite all mixed into one. Imagine the hype and “esports” traffic you could bring to WoW by having a competitive MOBA system in real PvP.

I’m talking a classic MOBA style map with bases and lanes, 5v5 teams, creeps, towers, vendors, character leveling, boss buffs, line-of-sight view in the jungle, and new map abilities (base teleport, wards etc). The whole deal.

It would have to be balanced in a way where individual character powers (mostly gear and borrowed powers) and map specific powers (like items and temporary abilities) would scale within the game mode. ie, as the game lasts longer, ability power increases accordingly. Kind of like what Shadowlands is doing with Torghast.

I personally think this idea would be fantastic. It would provide a new “sticky” type of gameplay that players would engage in all day, plus attract a whole new player base not currently in WoW.

Like if you agree!

No.
I enjoy LoL and DotA2 but if I want to play a moba then I will go play a moba. I play WoW because it is WoW. I want Blizzard to focus on making WoW a better version of WoW, not trying to put a moba into it.

1 Like

I get where your coming from. But wow offers a pvp gameplay experience that no moba can match. The complexity of an individual character class/build/comp with teammates in unparallel to any other moba that exists.

It literally doesnt affect the game as a whole if its built within the confines of it’s own game mode system… just like torghast.

Specifically because it’s not a moba.
Turning it into a moba would just make it like every other moba.
Blizzard already tried a moba game and they failed hard at it. I’d rather them not spend the time and resources putting it into WoW when they already have so many more important WoW-things to focus on.

It would absolutely affect PvP because then a lot of players are playing the moba game instead of arenas and BGs.

Its not fair to assume how Blizzard allocates its resources (either talent, money or time) towards game development when you have no idea. A new business product/line doesn’t mean they take resources away from other business units, in many cases you hire an independent team within the business to build a new product.

WoW is like a good story… you take an “Average Joe” and place him in various epic scenarios to see how it plays out. That’s what makes it entertaining. No one cares about the Average Joe, or the epic scenario until you put the two together.

ie, WoW isn’t great for only “capture the flag”, or for only “raid boss kills”. WoW is great because it combines individual characters (the average joe), and numerous epic scenarios built within the game (Arena, BG, Torghast, M+, Raids, social interactions etc). It’s the aggregate combination of characters and epic systems that make the game amazing.

I for one would like to take my characters who I’ve customized and invested countless hours into building and put them in action through a true MOBA environment. I’ve never seen this done before and think it would be tons of fun.

Kind of the point? To get players to play lol. Like I said in my first post, it would attract additional outside players and add them to the overall player base.

Yes I do have an idea. This isn’t 1990 where computer tech is some mystified secret. Development is a very commonly understood field now. Stop with this “you don’t know!” garbage.
We also know that Blizzard has laid off a lot of people. They aren’t putting extra effort into WoW. And they sure as hell aren’t hiring independent teams.

You do that in every moba. Your countless hours are shown in your ability to play that hero.

So your point is that you want to take players away from arenas and BGs to play moba?
That’s a no. Go play LoL.

The first “lane style” game I ever played was actually a warcraft 3 map called 3 corridors. It was the grandfather of the current LoL. It later became defense of the ancients.

So this MOBA actually originated from Blizzard’s game.
(created by players IIRC, not by devs)

There could be something even earlier, who knows?

Surprised nobody has mentioned it before, but WoW had a MOBA mode once in the form of a BG called Strand of the Ancients. While it wasn’t my favourite, it did offer some interesting gameplay. Unfortunately, it didn’t port well throughout the various expansions and ultimately got removed at the start of BfA.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Strand_of_the_Ancients

Nobody mentioned it because Strand was not even close to being a moba.

1 Like

lol, it was kind of the same general format though. Multiple lanes to breach a thing. I can’t remember, but didn’t it used to have NPC trash at one point? I thought it did, but maybe not?

EDIT: I did some reading, I don’t think it did. I dunno, it just gave that vibe to me.

You mean Heroes of the storm? Here is a link to blizzards new game https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/

I wouldn’t call a 5 year old game “new”. Especially now that they’ve all but abandoned it.

1 Like

That was suuuuuch a weird thing. Here’s this game that people seemed to love and they’re all like, “jk, see ya!” They’ve still done updates and new heroes, but abandoning it from the tournament scene was just… weird!

For myself, I actually really liked it. It was another polished Blizzard game. I just never played it because TTK was too quick for my old man brain to handle, apparently. Other friends who played had no issues with that particular item.

I did like it because it felt like WoW PvP without gear grinds! :smiley:

They made it in a vain effort to enter the esports scene. Blizzard is still licking their self inflicted wounds after they turned down the opportunity to control the entire moba genre.

They have overwatch which is far more popular.