New runeforge ideas

I’m kinda here to see the community’s ideas on this as we only have 3 runes that we use and have. Is it possible for new runes?

Absolutely. Bake the three that we have in and make 10 more.

how bout runeforges for best in slot for armor or whatever the favor of the expansion is like. next expansion it might be neck, back, n rings

The only real rework I can see them doing is if they bring 2h frost back, then maybe making one that does increase frost damage coming with the strength bonus maybe?
I honestly would love if they had that then gave one for unholy as well, maybe a stack that increased shadow damage too. But I really don’t see them changing it.

2 Likes

I wouldnt mind seeing different runeforges. Though it does make it ez to decide atm lol.

There used to be more of course. But Blizzard realized people would just use whatever Icy Veins told them was best and never use the others.

Firstly I would like to say that 2H Frost is dead it was removed for some very clear reasons in terms of being able to balance the Frost class correctly. It was extremely difficult to balance two weapon setups for one class as all other melee classes are the same they have a Spec that is 2-Handed and a Spec that is Duel Wield.

Granted the Warrior in Fury is still Duel Wield but uses two handed weapons as all abilities require them to have 2-Handed weapons to use them. They don’t work with 1-Handers.

So on that basis I would say they could maybe give Frost the ability to wield two 2-Handed weapons like a Warriors but if they did they would also have to remove the 1-Handed Duel wield like they did for Warriors. As you can’t balance 1-Handed and 2-Handed in the same spec so it was removed… Simple

Now on to this actual post Runeforging has been one of those areas where it would be nice to have new ones but the issue is that Rune of the Fallen Crusader is way way way too powerful in terms of what it does compared to any of the other weapon enchants available in game.

So the issue becomes how do you even start to make more Runeforges when the ones you have are by default always going to be better unless they create 1 - 3 new overpowered ones. Then you are in the same cycle players will just take the new ones based on them being BiS for the class.

The only way to do anything is to either nerf the ones we have to allow for a few more alternatives bought in that give gameplay and mechanics changes but don’t impact on DPS or that one is so much better that the others by a significant margin. This in turn will cause DK players to be frustrated and annoyed at yet what is essentially another Nerf to the long long long list of nerfs the class has had to endure throughout each expansion and evolution of the game.

The final option is to make RuneForges Cosmetic and just back the ones we have now in class base mechanics and not have to actually use Runeforge to add it too weapons. Then have all these fancy DK only Cosmetic Illusion Effects that can by assigned to ALL weapons including those that can’t have an effect on them normally. In essence giving the DK a way to have a unique look on a weapon and effects that others don’t have access to unless they are a DK.

That’s the only options we have really as it stands today

1 Like

Assuming Runeforges will remain better than your run-of-the-mill weapon enchants i’d like to see the following:

a) Be able to change runeforges on the fly, however keep the actual runeFORGES, your weapon must first be runeforged at a forge before you can place and remove runeforge effects.

b) Two handed weapons have 2 runeforge slots, One Handed Have 1 runeforge slot

c) All runeforges increase strength AND stam by x%, and provide a teritrary bonus that doesn’t directly affect character’s damage, giving players a choice on how they’d like to customize their weapon.

d) Remove the current runeforges but make their benefits passive, i.e. razorice applies on autoattacks without the need of a runeforge. Same thing for unholy’s fallen crusader, on attack, have a chance heal and increase strength.

Runeforge 1: +x% STR + STAM + Increase avoidance by x% and speed by x%
Runeforge 2: +x% STR + STAM + Reduce Physical damage taken by x%
Runeforge 3: +x% STR + STAM + Reduce Spell damage taken by x%
Runeforge 4: +x% STR + STAM + Increase Leech by x%
Runeforge 5: +x% STR + STAM + Death Coil/Frost Strike/Heart Strike provide an absorb shield for x% of damage dealt

And so on.

1 Like

Essentially another replacement of the current runeforge system by making current ones baseline effects and then adding new ones which I mentioned previously. However I used the Cosmetic option so that it would be easier to balance and not have players essentially just take the best MinMax option which is what they will do.

Your ideas are good but it wont work out the way you think for example a Blood DK with a 2 Hander would just have RuneForge2 (Physical DR is a good) and then based on what provides best survivability and damage etc. So likely either Runeforge5 if it worked correctly with current Blood Mechanics or Runeforge1 less hits and being faster is always a boon for DKs. It’s unlikely they will take the leech option as it just doesn’t work as well for DK as it does for DH due to the high leech they have in Form etc.

As I said it’s an interesting idea but you’re just going to end up have Spec 1 takes runeforge A and B, Spec 2 takes Runeforge C and D and Spec 3 uses E and F 99.9% of the time so you’re back to the old no real changes ever throughout each new expansion while new enchantments for other weapons constantly evolve

There will always be throughput decisions. If runeforges were made purely cosmetic ,we would swap to default enchants (which would be “cookie cutter” too, but wed be forking over resources more frequently)

Having 2 or 3 competative options per spec that fill niche roles would be worth considering since we can runeforge in advance.

Weapon swapping in combat isnt practical, but is one of the few old mechanics still in place that might be worth exploring.

Fallen crusader is so stifiling and at the same time iconic. Thematically each spec should have access to a runeforge that matches their rune anyways. Blood does have a tanking one but fallen fills an almost similar role while providing better throughput.

Frost has its own unique pick that is used, but also has access to fallen at the same time so it isnt losing out.

2 handed frost couldnt come back realisitically anyways without a change to runeforges.

Fallen crusader should be turned into a class passive on the rppm system.

Unholy, at a minimum, should get a new spec specific rune.

Blood should get a better tuning pass on their rune, i could probably brainstorm up a bunch of ideas when i am home.

Frost needs to have razorice fixed. The percent frost damage is working. The bonus autoattack portion of damage has been broken all expansion but has been overlooked.

The enchanting system has inherently limited our ability to approach runes. Lets face it. Any rune sword you see has more than one giant rune on it. A bunch of runes for a singular effect seems off. But that is flavor and entirely subjective.

3 Likes