New RPer Looking for tips

Hey Guys,
Just transferred to the server after resubbing and really just decided I want to get into RP. I’m from Aus but should still be able to work around the time zone. Looking for some help with the basics, have trp3 installed and starting to set it up, working on a backstory for my character etc but am very shy about going IC on fear I will do or say something wrong and be ridiculed or ignored immediately. If anyone feels like taking a new rper under their wing casually and teaching them the ropes please dm me on discord. Thanks in advance. Val#3960

2 Likes

Yay! Welcome!
happy claps
I adore making new friends… I LOVE going to RP Events… I have a somewhat wide range of RP friends… I love long walks on the beach and romantic…
looks off camera, being prompted by someone
It’s not that kind of what?. . . OH!!! … Um… Yeah! Well, I would love to hang out and RP with ya! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, if still interested I do have an RP Discord where I could show you the ropes of RPing and the fundamentals if you’d like. Discord tag is Herne, The horned hunter#0595. I’ll be on later today at roughly 6 PM CST.

One small piece of advice…if you are at all comfortable with the idea, don’t create a massively detailed backstory and put it in your TRP. It just gets in the way, a lot of people won’t read it (either because of TL;DR or because they feel such details should be learned through RP), and it tends to “lock in” the character.

I leave a number of details vague, even in my own mind. This allows me to be inspired by RP to fill them in on the spot…and if nobody ever bothers to dig into the character, it saves me all the time I’d have spent writing stuff only I care about.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree! My own TRP is very short and only describes what one would notice at a glance, not knowing the character. All the details of her life is a treasure trove of RP potential!

3 Likes

Don’t be shy, in fact there are many other new to rp threads meaning many new role players on moon guard. Maybe joining a rp guild would help.

Welcome to the RP-land, Kaylei! I know it can be daunting to start fresh and wade into a huge sea of roleplay. I just want to point out that there’s really nothing you can do ‘wrong’, per se, if you’re just roleplaying out what your character would do. I find RPers are usually pretty good with rolling with whatever happens. Obviously, there are certain etiquette-related things you want to be aware of, such as not god-modding other people’s characters (i.e. deciding what happens to other people’s toons, e.g. you decide to attack them and you emote the hit lands etc). If all you do is control what YOUR toon does, I’d say you’re pretty safe! :slight_smile:

Some helpful addons I can think of off the top of my head are:
Listener

• It allows you to choose your own keywords and get pinged whenever that word is used.
  • You can target a person and see ONLY their emotes/says, which is super helpful when there’s lots going on around you.

Emote Splitter

• This is great if you like to type longer emotes. You can type as much as you want, and the addon will help split them into emotes for you automatically!

Musician

• LOTS of bards around the city that utilize this addon to play music. If you’re interested in hearing the tunes, you’ll need this addon installed. You can always mute it if it gets to be too much.

TRP Extended

• Some RPers like to make custom items, like food or various other things, if you want to receive these items, you’ll need TRP Extended!
  • This also allows YOU to make items, if you were ever interested!
3 Likes

For some good self-study and reading on your own when you’re not actively trying to RP or observing others doing it, I always like to recommend this trove of information.

Don’t be intimidated by how much information it contains. Instead, look at is as a reference that covers just about everything so that you can find answers and ideas when you have specific questions.

4 Likes

Its hard sometimes, but IC should always be kept IC, it should never be carried over to OOC (out of character).
If they ignore you because they let their undies get in a twist over IC stuff, let them go.
If youre worried they’ll take it the wrong way, feel free to Whisper them about it. They still letting their undies bunch up? Let them go. They aren’t worth the effort if they can’t keep IC and OOC separate.
Most importantly, have fun.
:heart:

1 Like

Be careful who you choose to talk OOC with. Most people are okay, but you never know who you’re really dealing with over the internet. Some people are just simply… messed up in some way and will blackmail, harass, stalk you if you happen to get caught in the crossfire. Only a small percentage of players are like this, but don’t think it doesn’t happen at all. Even other than more overt harassment, emotions can run high in the RP community since peoples’ time and energy is invested into their characters/guilds/storylines, and peoples’ egos can get rubbed the wrong way if the RP doesn’t go the way they want it to.

Be kind, but don’t accept just anybody into your OOC circle. Use your judgement, look for red flag behaviors, and you should generally have a good time.

That said, welcome to RP!

4 Likes

I’ll second the post Feyahni linked; it’s a LOT of information but even if you just read the bits for your race and class it’ll give you a good basis for what you need to know lore-wise.

One thing I’d add is that, while everyone RPs differently, think of the game as the world your character lives in. That may sound unhelpfully obvious, but I think many new RPers jump in expecting a D&D session, with constant action and adventure right from the start. There’s plenty of time for that, but a lot of RP happens as you simply go about your day, taking in the sights and sounds of Stormwind (or wherever, but that’s the main “hub” for Alliance RP) and interacting with others when the opportunity presents itself. Eventually you’ll make some friends. And while I echo Johnny’s warning about getting too close to people too quickly, don’t be afraid to reach out to people who seem to know what they’re doing - there are definitely some weirdos out there, but most people are polite and friendly and happy to answer questions. And remember, you’re not alone! There are a LOT of novice RPers out there and people new to the server.

3 Likes

A fellow Val, a fellow individual of culture, welcome! I actually have a couple tips, though they are a bit niche.

My first tip is to not be afraid to step out of an RP, or ignore an RP, if it makes you uncomfortable. Whether that ranges from someone RPing a character that you don’t quite know how to interact with to people putting on a subject matter you don’t feel comfortable participating in. People have wildly varying tastes in RP and there’s nothing wrong with drawing a line in what you’ll play with.

This one’s a bit niche, but if you ever play a character who is a bad guy, antagonistic, or just has a general mean streak, my advice as someone who thrives on antagonist characters: always let them walk up. The fastest way to kill your welcome as an “antagonist” is to just walk up to random people and bully them for their money. If you want to start something, send a whisper and see how they feel before you jump them with a bad time.

In fact, whispers in general are also a good tip. You don’t need to whisper everyone but if you want to do something that might be a bit committed, such as attacking someone, offering healing to someone, et cetera, it’s good to whisper and get the other player’s thoughts first. Especially healing; sometimes people don’t realize that a character is missing an arm because the player wants to, and jump straight to offering a mechanical prosthesis.

Some will argue that whispers or alerting people OOC of what you plan to do is a “spoiler” or robs the RP of its spontaneity. I prefer to see it as gauging interest before you make the jump and do something a person might not appreciate.

Don’t worry too much about doing or saying something wrong. We’re all just working off of our own interpretations of the lore. It doesn’t hurt to be open to feedback, but there’s a difference between feedback to help you flesh out a compelling character versus just yelling about the accuracy of lore. Absolutely seek out the former; friends who give helpful feedback are the best.

3 Likes