New Pet Battler LF Tips

Hello all!

New pet battler here looking for a few tips as to what is next on my list of things to do. So far I have leveled a handful of pets to 25. It is a bit of a grind, because some of the trainers people recommend I fight for xp are very tough for me. The only trainers at the moment that I can kill with an XP pet are all Outland trainers and below. My obvious thought on this is simply because I only have like 5 pets to choose from for each encounter. So that is why I am here. What should I level next or what should I do to help this situation and begin being able to farm trainers like everyone else. I assume posting the pets I have is relevant. So if anyone could give me some tips on what pet I should level next and how? Or what team I should shoot for that will allow me to defeat trainers that will make the leveling process quicker? Thanks in advance.

Pets at 25:
Anubisath
Black Panther Cat
Mechanical Dragon
Arctic Hare - S/S
Stormborne Whelp - P/S
Blightbreath
Cinderpup

2 Likes

If you haven’t already done so, get the “Rematch” addon which makes pet battles a whole lot easier, allowing you to create tabs and save teams for specific encounters.

If you have a handful of level 1-2 pets, put them in a team with two of your favorite level 25 pets and start making the circuit.

If you’re Horde, start at Orgrimmar and work your way around Kalimidor putting similar level pets versus the various trainers. For example, the Durotar trainer will allow you to level a level 1 or 2 pet all the way to level 4, the Northern Barrens trainer (next closest to Durotar, easy to reach if you have flying mount) can get another level 1-2 pet to level 5, etc.

Just follow the circuit south in Kalimidor and you can usually let the pet you used in Northern Barrens all the way until you complete Feralas. Then, you have to drop back down to level 3 or 4 pets for the next three trainers (Desolace, Stone Talon and Ashenvale).

At that time, you’ll only have 2-3 more trainers in Kalimidor to fight - Felwood, Moon Glade and if you have the quest advanced, which I think you do since you mentioned Outland, Winter Spring. You’ll want to take low teens pet versus the Felwood trainer, mid teens pet versus the Moonglade trainer and mid-high teens versus the Winterspring grand master.

This circuit will get you some more bull pen pets coming up through the ranks. I was able to repeat this process with an Alliance alt versus the Eastern Kingdoms trainers using the same methodology, again leveling up pets to give you more pets to choose from when building teams.

After a few days of using this approach, you may be able to save some decent alternate teams onto your Rematch tabs, at which time you’re starting the grind as opposed to the learning process of finding good pets to try out against unknown trainers.

1 Like

Okay, awesome. Yeah I actually already do that Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms/Outland circuit but just stick with one pet. Usually gets 1 pet when doing the circuit up to 23-24. I didn’t know if there were any alternative methods or specific pets to go for that I don’t already have that will make this process go faster or help me move up to stronger trainers that I can actually farm like Northrend etc. I have seen from my research that people do a lot of Garrison masters or Pandaria and can level 1 pet to 25 in a few fights. That is what I really want to work up to. But if the Kal/Eastern/Pandaria circuit + just amassing an army of top pets for each respective family is best strategy for me currently then I will keep doing that.

1 Like

You have a good start. I would level up the nexus whelping and make it rare. Also go to https://www.wow-petguide.com/?m=Home

I use this guide for help with some fights and it has a suggestion on which pets to use. For instance if you do the Draenor fights, these pets are needed:

|1.|[Chrominius
|2.|[Clockwork Gnome
|4.|[Emperor Crab]
|5.|[Fossilized Hatchling
|6.|[Infinite Whelpling]
|7.|[Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling]
|8.|[Pandaren Water Spirit]
|9.|[Unborn Val’kyr]

Good luck!

2 Likes

Wow thanks a lot I will take a look! I do have a P/P rare Nexus Whelpling in que to be leveled so I am looking forward to that.

1 Like

Try to get at least one pet of each family first, and then maybe start chasing useful abilities for encounters you can’t beat.

Every pet you get to lv25 helps and gives you more options, so find a good way to level 25s quickly.

2 Likes

Park an alt you’d like to slowly level with Ashlei in Draenor’s Shadowmoon Valley. If you can’t get it there just ask here, I’d be glad to help, as would many others.

Xu-Fu has a great strat to level 2 pets at once, any level, with just a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, (MPD) which I see you have.
~https://www.wow-petguide.com/index.php?Strategy=34

Do the battle first thing when you log on each day, so you won’t forget, and begin by leveling your Teroclaw Hatchling and Emerald Proto-Whelp, as both a wonderfully useful.

If you want to level more pets at once, simply find other tamers to camp, and make an alt for each one and park them there, asking for help with transporting them if needed. I made a realm full of monks to camp each of the Pandaria tamers, and the Draenor ones are all safe to camp apart from Cymre, where you need an appropriately leveled pet to survive. Having an alt parked at Ashlei means you’ll easily be able to level what you need for other tamer battles.

If you can get hold of a Safari Hat and pet XP buff foods that will speed leveling greatly.

2 Likes

I would highly recommend leveling up an Iron Starlette. All of the Draenor trainers except Cymre can be defeated with Iron Starlette + Darkmoon Zeppelin + carry pet. I’m sure you can substitute other pets with the “Explode” ability for the Zeppelin if you don’t have that one. The Iron Starlette is also very good for many of the BfA trainers so you can collect those polished pet charms when the quests are up.

2 Likes

For Cym, I’ve been using the Blossoming Ancient and Darkmoon Tonk since the Draenor beta. You can use it as an 2-pet levelling strat (even level 1’s or elekk). The video is up on my CymreJones channel if anyone is interested in another team you can try.

2 Likes

capture level 25 pets, they will drop a level or two, but you don’t have to level them from 1.

I note that your collection could be far larger than it is. The vendors where you do the turn-ins for your daily rep grind will sell pets if you’re at least revered with them.

In Legion, too. Although I notice you didn’t spend too much time grinding in Legion. You may have to implore upon a guildie with the necessary rep to buy those pets for you.