New Frost/Unholy Corruption Guides (Insane New Builds)

Sup guys, I know it took me a while to get these out, but I really wanted proper experimentation before I gave you guys advice that would cost 30k echoes or more. That could be a huge amount of your time wasted if it wasn’t accurate. The Unholy guide specifically changed pretty heavily these last two weeks, so I’m very glad I spent so much time experimenting before uploading these.

That said, I believe I’ve created the most absurd setups of itemization, traits, essences, and corruptions that have lead to a hilarious amount of 1v2s, and crazy CR pushes on my stream each day. I have outlined the exact method of acquiring this gear, as well as every combination of itemization tools so you guys can create the same absurdity.

Hope you guys like em, there’s a video for Frost and a video for Unholy. As with everything I make, these are designed for PVP. Create these builds and enjoy your late season CR push to your expansion goals!! Enjoy the rating boys!!

Frost Guide:

Unholy Guide:

9 Likes

no 475 Servant splitter offhand!

servant splitter is doodoo!!

Thanks for the unholy update! I’m already saving for Vers amps. I’m excited to be 40% haste, 35%+ vers.

1 Like

What he means to say is:

The proc does not make up for the loss in secondary stats (because these can scale with your Amplification corruptions).

What really gets me is how different these are in effectiveness when going from a solid two handed proc weapon like Geti’ikku, Cut of Death to one handed proc weapons like Servant Splitter and Fusion Hacker.

at 465ilvl

Get’ikku has 692 Str 1304 stam and procs for 83948 Physical damage over 12 seconds (1.*(1+haste)rppm)
(A normal two hander at this level will have around 325 in secondary stats, split between two stats) (so around 83,948 over 1 minute, before versatility and haste, no crits).

Servant Splitter has 346 Str 652 stam and procs for 24816 physical damage over 12 sec (1.169 * (1+haste)rppm)
(a normal 1 hander at this ilvl will have around 163 in secondary stats split between two secondaries) (so around 29,009 in 1 minute, before versatility and haste, no crits)

Fusion Hacker has 346 Str 652 stam and procs for 8012 fire damage over 4 seconds (4.00*(1+haste)rppm)(a normal 1 hander at this ilvl will have around 163 in secondary stats split between two secondaries) (so around 32,048 over 1 minute before versatility and haste, no crits)

Note, the debuff from servant splitter and getti don’t stack, they just refresh themselves (so using 2 servant splitters is generally not good). And even if you split between a servant splitter and fusion hacker you are only doing 72% of the damage you’d do with the Getti procs as a 2 handed class while giving up a similar amount of secondary stats…

There is an argument that Getti is overtuned. However i think for giving up secondaries its a meaningful trade off. I just think servant splitter and fusion hacker are under tuned (ESPECIALLY servant splitter seeing as it doesn’t get a heal on death bonus that Getti has, just as an example). Now if it could STACK the debuff, then we might be talking.

Odd note: I haven’t had a recent test, but I feel like there may be bugs with both Fusion hacker and Servant splitter where their dots can’t crit or aren’t scaling properly with secondaries. I’d need to get my hands on some to test and confirm (and report).

If it could be fixed, i might be interested in double fusion hackers (but just for pve since the proc and proc rate are vastly superior to servant splitter) for a icy talons icecap build.

1 Like

Your guides are awesome, man, keep it up!
I do have a few questions I was wondering about. Is it better to have a Vers PvP weapon/Sharksplitter or stick with a Get’ikku given similar item levels for Unholy? Which is better, Vita Charged Titanshard or Dragonscale?

Also, if I couldn’t get all the expedient and versatile 3s I want, is it worth it to just get the rank 2s as they come out? Or should I save my echoes until the rank 3s come out again in a few weeks?

1 Like

@illexison that’s an awesome split, you’ll have fun with that.
@metarune I’ve been thinking about that a lot myself. gettiku still feels like it pulls ahead, but it’s much closer now for sure.

I like dragonscale over vita as well.
and yes, rank 2s are very good. same budget.

1 Like

I melted a mythic geared lock tonight with nothing but racing pulse and expedient corruptions. Can’t imagine what it would be with vers corruptions and gear. Also, there is no hardcap on haste. I think i hit 140% with everything rolling at once. It’s hilarious.

1 Like

Servant scales with vers and cannot crit, its normal ticks do more than 2x gushing (10,500 ticks vs 2 475 gushing for 5200) on 475s, hence why off hand servant is really strong.

Its normal ticks do more than gushing because gushing ticks every second for 7 seconds vs every three seconds for 12 seconds.

At 475, before versatility, 1 gushing wound ticks for 2,649 per second. Butchers Cut (dot from Servant splitter) ticks for 7027 (effectively 2,342 per second).

Gushing wound can crit.
Butcher’s cut cannot crit.

Butcher’s cut is mitigated by armor.
Gushing wound isn’t mitigated by armor (but IS mitigated by magic mitigation since its shadow damage).

Butcher’s cut has 1.69 rppm.
Gushing wound has 4 rppm.

So what do you give up to get that extra pressure proc (cuz thats what you’re lookign for really)? 167 in secondary stats. If you are stacking something with versatility (like Flark’s pvp weapon, which has the largest swing in Versatility available in the secondary stat distributions… 71.52 percent) you are giving up potentially 119 versatility + 48 crit + whatever stat amp you have (lets just go ahead and use no amps, to create a baseline).

1% versatility takes 85 rating (0.0117647058823529 damage per point of versatility rating). So 119 versatility = 1.4% damage.

So before AMPs. you’re giving up at a minimum 1.4% damage at all times.

Now lets look at having max AMPs. you can get R3 Vers amp in 9 slots at the end of the season and still only have 45 corruption (so… most pvpers won’t wanto do that. So to drop below this you’d use 8 R3 + 1 rank 1 for a total 35 corruption + 102 percent versatility amp).

This would give your weapon an additional 121.38 rating from amps ( or 1.43 % additional damage).

So… Question is: Do you value a proc over 2.8% increased damage, healing, and 1.4% damage reduction?

If that proc is making up more than 2.8% of your damage, then it may be worth it. if it doesn’t, then I wouldn’t use it.

Just as a comparison, I believe most Get’ikku users are seeing it make up more than 10% of their damage? At the best versatility distribution i can find (LOGG at 475 ilvl gives 195 baseline versatility + 141 crit) you’re giving up 141 crit + 382.2 versatility (you can only get up to 96 percent vers amp with a two hander and max r3 in every available slot) or 4.5% damage and healing & 2.25% damage reduction + some crit rating.

Comparatively speaking, you are giving up a net gain more as a 2 handed spec for a proc than you are as a DW spec, but pound for pound you give up more than half of your potential stat amp that a 2 Handed spec would.

In the end, it boils down to preference, but I imagine for it to be worth it, for most people, it’d need to do around 5.8 - 6.5 percent of your damage to “Feel” impactful enough to compare to Get’ikku and shift the meta to include it in a slot.

Anyone feel free to let me know if I am off base with any of the above math or thoughts.

2 Likes

yeah, there’s no hardcap on anything lol. stats just go. it’s been like this since…well, I guess the beginning of wow.

1 Like

Flarkness,

Another top tier video my friend. Thank you for taking the time of your day to make these videos. For scrubs like myself, it’s a massive help. You don’t just explain the what, but also the why.

First time back to wow since wotlk days. Dabbled here and there for the other expansions, hit 2k once, and I’d like to return to playing some competitive PvP.

It SEEMS like you favor frost. I want to play frost so badly but I hit like a wet noodle. It’s strange, with UH I feel like Im not doing anything to anyone, and yet Somehow I also always fight for top damage.

With frost, I feel like I should just be eating people, but I just… don’t? Everytime I see a frost dk(which are few a far between mind you) I feel like a jealous step sister.

But then at the end If i am their Ilvl, or even just below, I keep up or beat them.

Which makes it worse somehow.

Anyway, I’m not really asking a question, just complaining.

I suppose I could ask what your thoughts on 2h frost are

frost is very setup heavy now. you used to play it by just getting up front damage off quickly with obliteration/frost strike. now pillar of frost builds up over time, chillstreak bounces over time, so everything is setup oriented.

pop into my stream (https://www.twitch.tv/flarknesstv) I do a lot of 3s pushes there and you’ll see how explosive the setup can be. we’re at ~2750 cr so far.

Oh, imma be peeping that for sure.

Another question for you, if you don’t mind? I feel like there’s so much wind up for UH before you get to “cruising speed”. Do you have any tips or tricks to expedite it?

Will this build still be viable after june 9th?

1 Like

It’s turning the 12% amps to 8% amps in PvP. Eventually with resistance we’ll get almost back to where we were, buuut… yeah. Feelsbadman.

big changes coming yes! I will be theorycrafting/experimenting all weekend and trying to make 2 new update videos asap!

5 Likes

Is it worth buying the 6% essences at this time? I have no gear with % stat boosting corruptions for my frost or unholy specs. Will hold onto my echos for now i suppose.