New Book (Spoilers)

LOL Alleria tortured 2 people and someone already mad :rofl: I hope she will torture more and more people in the future, this is the version of Alleria that I love :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

In their defense this is a setting where many routinely survive getting hit with actual fireballs. Seems kinda silly a rock ganked her.

Really it’s indictive of the bourgeois. The working man is expected to kill 15 kobolds out the gate. Maybe if she’d had any experience she wouldn’t have been one shot by a rock.

7 Likes

For real though, I’m completely fine with the tactics employed. Sylvanas Windrunner is a hugely dangerous war criminal with a massive bodycount that’s showing no signs of slowing. This orc woman KNEW where one of her agents was, and was withholding said information. Mind you, they didn’t immediately go right to torturing her - Turalyon spoke with her for an hour trying to get her to voluntarily give it.

Turalyon and Alleria’s tactics are frightening, but they do heal overtime (albeit with scars). When time is of the essence during a hunt for a genocidal maniac looking to commit more atrocities, this kind of stuff is overdue. Were I Anduin, I’d have permitted it as well.

12 Likes

Sylvanas should claim total victory over all her enemies.

1 Like

I’m not sure about your last point, because torture doesn’t work normally (it does in stories sure). Speaking for a fantasy universe only, go for it.

I think moments like that can bring interesting tensions to a story.

2 Likes

Right??
That was probably the biggest WTF moment for me in the book. In the warcraft universe you can get away with almost anything if the situation demands it and we as the players are just glorified murderhobos most of the time. But if you steal to feed your family? The sentence is death. Wow.

To be fair though, that was Flynn’s story and Boralus not Stormwind. Stormwind is more progressive in that regard. Shaw’s grandma was given the choice- death by hanging or working as an assassin for the state :wink:

5 Likes

It doesn’t work though. Mercy from the Apothecary and Jania are what gets the most vital information.

4 Likes

I agree, I even had a moment were I went: “This had to be in Kultiras right? No, it wouldn’t work. Oh so it was Stormwind. Ha.”

Let’s say I didn’t expect it. It seems to fit the events during the time.

So, what you’re saying is that the “Good Cop, Bad Cop” routine works better than either only diplomacy or only torture?

I’m not sure if that’s a whole lot better morally.

Edit: Though I think it would be a very fitting bit of Alliance gray morality for their investigators to arrange scenarios so their “good cop” can swoop in to save people from the “bad cop” to get cooperation from the relieved people they “rescued”.

2 Likes

When did this happen?

The mother of Shaw was hanged in front of him, because she was a thief (because she was poor).
Shadows Rising explained his background.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this was during King Llane’s reign?

I know Shadow’s Rising established Flynn’s mother was hung for being a thief infront of Flynn.

Are you saying that also happened to Mathias?

2 Likes

You’re correct. It was Flynn’s mom. Shaw’s grandma was also caught stealing and given the choice between hanging or working for Stormwind as a contract killer.

3 Likes

It’s not really specified, but I would guess so. Shaw was still a child so it had to be long ago. It makes sense to me that it would have been under Llaine.

Wait, am I mixing them up? Flynn was from Kultiras right? Hm, now I’m confused. At first I thought it was Flynn, but the conversation was about Stormwind so I assumed it had to have been Shaw.
So no , I likely simply messed up. Would have to search for it.

Ah that’s were my confusion likely came from, tank you very much!

Who’s grandmother was a thief then? Man I have to read it again.

I was curious, so I looked at Wowpedia. No mention of Shaw’s mother being hanged, though his grandmother was offered the choice of that or serving as an assassin for Stormwind. Flynn, however, was mentioned as recounting that story to Shaw.

The two probably shared the stories at the same time, due to some similaries between the two.

Shaw’s grandmother and mentor was a thief who chose to become an assassin instead of being hanged.

1 Like

Thanks I even quoted it from Velratha and still had to ask haha. I seem to be on the slow side today.

It’s salright. The stories are probably similar enough to meld together.

Yep :wink:

Fact remains, theft was punishable by death in both Boralus and Stormwind.

Although, I think at least for Stormwind this might no longer be true.
I have a hard time imagining Anduin walking through Stormwind while a thief is being publicly executed in front of her crying kids.

7 Likes

That response never gets old. XD And so apt for some many OPs too. lol