New Affixes are season ruining

Funny thing is, seeing the Season 2 dungeon line up I was already considering not bothering with it in season 2. So much disease and such, bad for Druid. But then I saw the “new” affixes and realized they sound like more of a healer nightmare so now I really couldn’t care about season 2.

If the goal is to make people no longer want to M+, they are doing a great job

5 Likes

If entangling is just a personal debuff, boo. If entangling is something like where the roots could be aoed down , that could be fun.

The other two new affixes sound ok not great.

1 Like

Im new to grinding m+ but these affixes seem team focused and not just on the healer. Is that really a bad change?

1 Like

Take the forums with a grain of salt. The complaints are endless here.

2 Likes

The thing they seem to be forgetting is that video games are meant to be fun. Challenging yes. But when you choose to forego fun just to make things seriously annoying, more often then not people just won’t play your video game. This is a problem they seem to be forgetting with alot of decisions they make.

1 Like

my reaction to the new affixes: paladin stonks go up

4 Likes

I suspect what’s happening is at blizzard and among some posters here, is they are trying to balance rewards between raiding and M+.

The problem is they are conflating different types of difficulty. M+ is easier to gear in because there is less social and group coordination difficulty as well as tools like raider io. And there’s not much they can do to make those aspects any more difficult. If you’re capable of doing the content it’s much easier to get the rewards for it because it’s inherently easier to throw a group of capable people together. It doesn’t mean it’s easier content, just more accessible if you’re capable.

But to try and get the numbers to balance in the end, which I suspect is the directive they’re working with, they are piling on absurd amounts mechanics. It’s like they think people are getting more M+ rewards because the contents easier. It’s not. Raiding is a walk in the park compared to M+. In terms of things I need to run out of, things I need to interrupt, things I need battle rez, the amount of self healing, the amount of target switching, the amount of unexpected events I have to deal with, the amount of mobs and encounters and mechanics I have to know… It’s not even close. M+ is much more difficult, but still easier to gear in.

And I think they might end up breaking it trying square peg that round hole.

4 Likes

I wish they’d just make M+ a separate thing like PvP. PvP gear is for PvP, M+ gear could be for M+, and raid gear for raid.

The issue with this is I hate M+, I only do it for the gear to help with the raid. I’d love to not HAVE to do it. But you’re right, on alts, I don’t raid on them so I do M+ because I can play a key whenever I have 30 mins to an hour to spare and it’s quick to get in and out of. Unlike a raid where I commit at least 2 1/2 hours or more to a session.

4 Likes

I feel like there are going to be a lot more push weeks with the new affixes.

I think there will be less. I never considering volcanic or quaking to ruin a week being a push week

1 Like

I agree with you on the second part. I feel like the removal of grievous is going to result in more push weeks, and the affixes other than that are moving sideways rather than down or up in terms of difficulty. Sure, volcanic and quaking are brainless affixes, but I feel like these new ones don’t take much more thought process to avoid.

Honestly since they nerfed it, it was a lot easier and not a reason people didn’t push. DPS see “push weeks” when it’s affixes like explosives. Yet healers see weeks like explosives non-push weeks. Spitefuls are another one that I don’t consider a push week because so many DPS will either get hit by them, or waste DPS on them even though I try to root them and run they lag behind. I think having things like a slow, another healer mechanic needing dispells or having to CC are all going to be things that slow you down and make pushing harder.

1 Like

I think there’s gonna be more push weeks too.

1 Like

That is definitely a valid point and perspective.

I just don’t understand the doomer attitude about these affixes when they just seem so… eh?

Like they don’t kill u, they’re handled by good play. people just wanted the +7 affix removed or kiss/curse affixes. I feel like this is a pretty good middle ground.

1 Like

Here’s the way the new affixes actually work, according to some datamining (we can’t test them until the weekend).

Incorporeal: add is basically unkillable. It’s up for 20 seconds, there’s an 8 second cast which will reduce everyone’s damage and healing by 50%. But it’s vulnerable to CC so 2-3 abilities will stop the cast from going off. No idea if we can kick it.

Afflicted: there’s an add with Poison/Disease/Curse debuffs and low health. We need to dispel or heal it to stop its 10 second cast from going off. Cast goes off, everyone gets their haste reduced by 100%.

Entangling: there’s a vine that spawns. We need to either A) move 10+ yards away within 8 seconds and break the vine; or B) remove the slow. Lots of ways to do either.

I don’t love these affixes, but I’m not super doomer about them. Afflicted and Entangling in particular. I think Incorporeal is still going to suck. Testing should make it more clear how much they slow us down.

I can’t think of anyone who would say with a straight face these new affixes are better than quaking and volcanic. It’s amazing how the problems with quaking were identified then made 10x worse with the replacements.

quaking was horrible, and i’m glad it’s gone.

these affixes do nothing. you stun them. you heal them. you walk away from them.

the problem with quaking just made itself incredibly clear this season more so than others.

people will miss volcanic because it didn’t do anything at all

1 Like

Have you ever thought about how Aetheral works out with your terrible interface blizzard? Am I supposed to heal with friendly nameplates on all the time now? Or switch them on a off whenever they are up cluttering my stream?

3 Likes

Serious answer: you’re supposed to use a third party nameplate addon that can handle this effectively, like Plater. Blizzard’s default nameplates are a joke and they clearly aren’t designing the game around the assumption that players struggle to see what mobs they aren’t targeting are doing.

Blizzard should probably look at the default nameplates at some point, but they’re understandably busy.