Nervous About Tanking

So I’ve just come back to the game after being gone since about November and I decided to level my tank to 120. I’ve always been purely DPS while only leveling my tank to max level and never entering a dungeon. I have a ton of fun leveling this character but I want to do more with it. No matter how many guides I watch or read I feel that I’m not ready to do dungeons or anything of that nature. Honestly it could just be that I’m worried too much about the toxicity that could come along with group play. I know its just a game and at the end of the day none of this matters but what is some advice to ignore those types of players that could potentially discourage me from playing my tank at a higher level?

1 Like

NGL - I think tank classes are relatively easy to pick up, but the community does tend to be a bit harder on us if you don’t know every pull. I got into it back in TBC by pulling in people I knew at max level dungeons. For lower level, I think most people are more forgiving if you let them know that you’re new to the role. Sure, you’re going to occasionally encounter one or two jerks, but that’s going to be true with any role. Don’t let those types discourage you! :slight_smile:

I feel like this with M+ in any role. I’ve only ever done 0’s. I’ve tried a couple higher keys but felt like I did really really badly, so now I’m too nervous to do a key at all, mostly because I don’t want to play with pugs.

Best advice is to actually ignore them.

Don’t just say your going to do it and then let people effect your gameplay negatively. Everyone is guilty of knowing they should be the bigger person and not actually doing it when they encounter toxicity aimed towards them. Getting caught up in someone else’s negativity just makes your own game experience worse.

Run the content, run it often, get comfortable with it, and most importantly do things your way.

If your clearing the dungeon, surviving, timing M+ keys later on when you get comfortable with it, killing Pug raid bosses, etc then nobody should have a problem with you.

Gear can be a big factor in helping you get to a point where mistakes are more forgiving so any chance you get to grab some upgrades snag them.

Groups are always looking for consistent tanks as well so an opportunity might present itself where you no longer have to be pugging .

If you still are nervous about tanking, I’d run some dungeons with you. I just came back to the game, just hit 120, but I’ve been healing in PvE and PvP for a long time, and it would not bother me a single bit if we went slow or died. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its definitely daunting at first, but like anything else, the best way to learn is to dive right into it among friends.

Best way to think of tanking: you are basically just another melee dps that uses damage-absorption rather than damage-dealing abilities. Get in there and smack stuff. Use those cooldowns when you need them.

A little study doesn’t hurt, at leas you can gt the gist of the encounter mechanics.

Youtube as videos on tanking every dungeon by just about every class that can be a tank.