Need M1 Max advice

Got my Mac Studio. Somehow, I am only getting 30 fps, whether I put the settings on 5 or 10. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Monitor is a Dell P2415Q, and I am getting the proper 4k display, but playing at a slightly smaller resolution, like 33xx by 2xxx. Using an HDMI cable. Should I be using DisplayPort instead? How do I get the 60 fps minimum I expect?

I’ll bet you got your max FPS capped.

Try /console maxfps 0

I am using an M1 Mac 16" w/ 32c GPU and I can get to 200 FPS if I turn down my settings a bit in most places.

I wish it was that!! Sadly, no, I do not have max fps capped at 30. I checked again to be sure. Husband is out looking for a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt/USB C adapter. Not all HDMI is created equal. I checked my monitor settings, too, to see if I could find anything there that might be the culprit. But this HDMI cable got me well over 60fps on my old PC with my 2080Ti. I expected similar performance.

I noticed that the Blizzard app and WoW launcher are both Intel apps, while the game itself is universal, so I tried launching the game without using the launcher. No change.

Metal does not like it if you have vSync turned off, which you do if you’re getting 200 FPS. Turn vSync on and nearly all of the Metal related issues go away, including odd FPS drops. I doubt your cable is suspect, just your settings.

Nope, I never disabled Vsync. It’s on.

It seems to be a peculiarity of this monitor to only allow a 30Hz refresh rate using HDMI, even with a shiny new HDMI 2 cable. It IS a relatively old monitor. Curiously, it does allow a 60Hz refresh rate using DisplayPort. This is confirmed on my husband’s setup, also a Mac Studio and one of his monitors is the same P2415Q Dell as mine. He’s out getting himself a DisplayPort to USB C/Thunderbolt cable as I type. He saw the difference the refresh rate makes when moving a window from his 60Hz monitor to his 30Hz monitor.

So I am unhappy with having to use a Thunderbolt port instead of HDMI, but happy with my 60fps.

Ah, that means it’s a really old HDMI spec you’ve got. Likely HDMI 1.4. That makes sense given when this monitor came out. Frustrating that with all the other minutia your user manual gives you it says nothing about the HDMI spec at all, just the DP spec (1.2).

I’m glad you now have 60 FPS again. Kind of a bummer though that you have to go to DP to get it, but not surprising given the limitations of that display’s HDMI spec (its MHL link can’t even do 1080p60, which is bizarre).

Yeah. A new monitor may be in my future. A lot depends on selling our old house- paying for 2 is rough on the budget.