Need info for a new RP idea

So I have an idea for a new character I would like to try but I’m looking for info on how realistic it would be because I don’t want the character to seem god mode. The idea is that the character would have the ability to learn powers from souls that they absorbed through combat.

My first thought was either a warlock or demon hunter, because both somewhat have the ability to drain souls. I’m not sure if that is only restricted to demon souls for demon hunters though.

My second thought was exclusively for a demon hunter. During the starting zone for DH, once you get freed from prison you have to recharge with demon souls through your glaives. Death Knights have the ability dark simulacrum which allows them to copy an enemies spell through use of their runeblade. Is it possible for a DH to convince a DK to runeforge a warglaive that would do exactly that? Therefore making a sort of runeglaive that absorbs the soul of the enemy and lets you absorb their magical knowledge.

I would love any thoughts or opinions on this concept. Especially if anyone has any other ideas on how this could work with any other classes.

Well ,it has the start of an interesting idea. As far as I know, though, DHs absorb Soul Shards, so basically they already absorb the souls of their dead enemies. I have a big storyline going for my own DH originating around her transformation. Is the weapon a deal breaker for the story?

1 Like

Not really. I was just trying to figure out how I could get the knowledge absorption mechanic to fit with it without seeming too overpowered.

While this is a cool idea, my first question would be how/why can she do this when no other DH/DK can do this? Or is this something she could teach others to do. It’s only overpowered if you choose to make it so.

Some potential limitations if you’re worried about being overpowered:

• It requires more effort to absorb the ability and so she has to prepare in advance, expend a lot of energy, or put herself in danger in order to do so.
  • It requires a specific item/reagent that is hard to find/make, or fragile and so is one time use until she can make another one.
  • The abilities are temporary. A lot of fantasy/sci-fi uses this to some degree, like a char who can channel ghosts and then for a few days after they have some of their personality traits, etc. So she could have the ability to, like, play piano flawlessly if she absorbed someone’s soul but it would fade after a few hours/days/weeks.
  • A more flexible option: Some quality is needed in order for her to absorb/bond with a soul and it only works with ones her magic can resonate with. (waves vague magic explanation) And when you want to absorb an ability in RP, just do a simple dice roll like /roll 5 and only absorb it if you get a 5.

It also just depends on how often you’re absorbing souls. I’ve never RPed much with a DH, but I know DK swords just kinda slurp up whoever they kill and if you’re doing combat-heavy Rp, uhhh you’re… killing a lot of people. So some kind of limitation would be necessary or else you’d just absorb like 20 people’s abilities every day and that’s just kind of silly.

1 Like

I definitely like the first two limitations. I was also considering that I wouldn’t just be able to kill anyone. Especially if I got into a fight with other players.

There’s no way I could just go kill a super powerful necromancer or mage and absorb all their spells. It would be more like killing a random defias mage and getting a novice frostbolt, since I don’t plan on the DH being a legendary combatant.

This is alot to think about though. Thank you guys for your help!

1 Like

The third option is pretty much the same as Rogue from the X-Men. Though she has to be careful how many people she touches because then all those personalities will start fighting to take over the host. Just throwing that in there if you want insurance to not become too overpowered.

1 Like

Ohhhh, I should look into that. I’ve only ever seen the wolverine movie as far as X-Men goes.

This is a bad question. Theres no set on what people can or can’t do. Think about a mage in real life. They can do all kinds of things, you have mages that are better at making foods, mages that are better with time spells, mages who are better at illusion spells. You don’t know exactly what a mage/DH can or can’t do. The lore is not that strict down to the grit. This guy could absoloutely do that with his character if he wants to. There is no strict lore book that says DHs can/cant do something.

By the way if you ever do go with this character, I’d love to RP with you. It sounds super interesting. :slight_smile:

Well, it’s a nice idea. When you consider we will potentially have a second mourneblade wielder soon ingame, the idea of being able to absorb souls through a blade isn’t entirely unprecedented.

I’m not sure about a Demon Hunter, since they deal primarily with demon power and fel magic. As do warlocks. You can probably rule out a few classes - Shamans and druids wouldn’t have a thing to do with that, nor would most other caster classes with the possible exception of Shadow Priests. After all, they got a very special dagger in Legion and I could easily imagine them them wielding a runed dagger capable of using the Void to consume souls.

So the best bets to me would be Shadow Priest, DK, rogue or possibly Warrior. Or if you really wanted to get creepy, a Paladin. Imagine playing a Dark Paladin who is to all appearances a normal one but who carries the corrupted version of Ashbringer, which is all runed.