Need Help: Without a Focus Frame, how do I always make sure I'm attacking my tanks target?

This is probably a silly question, but I admittedly didn’t play Vanilla. I’d like to do my best to always be attacking the target my tank is on, but unless they target mark, I have no idea how to do this without a focus frame.

Does anyone have an awesome macro, or assist macro, etc, or something I can add to my mouseover macros that will help me always attack the target my tank is on without having to constantly update those macros with my current tanks name? I realize threat is a lot harder in classic, but the only thing I can think of would be to have a target of target macro, and hover over my tank when he starts attacking, but I feel that’d be quite tedious. Whereas with a focus frame I could set the tank as focus, and always assist my focus target.

Hopefully that made sense, was quite confused on how it’d work.

Thanks for any help!

/assist

10char

Keep in mind that even with a macro, it’s not uncommon for the tank to be target swapping to hold threat on the secondary targets so a badly timed assist might not be ideal.

If nothing’s marked, DPS often ends up split anyway. I think by default the “F” key is bound to target-of-target so it can be worth selecting another DPSer who’s already started unloading and focus on their target so that at least 2/3 of the DPS is on the same mob (which the tank will inevitably have to swap to or which will have to be burned down).

1 Like
1 Like

This is what I figured. Thanks for clarifying. I guess I just have to hope the tank marks things, and if he doesn’t at least assist another dps, so if the tank loses aggro on that mob, and gets it back, at least we are ON That mob for sure.

It’s a bit obvious, because is in the interface, but maybe you don’t know (I found a lot of people that dont)

Interface > Combat > Target of Target

Then you can click on your tank and then click on his target.

Yeah, I know how target of target works, but with a focus frame I used to be able to focus my tank, then with a macro press every so often during an encounter it would auto target my focus’ target instead of having to select the tank, then his target

1 Like

That thing doesn’t even work.

How it doesn’t work? I do it all the time

Because I have that option enabled but i don’t see the target of target.

Works for me. Try clicking on yourself.

Tell the tank to mark the main target.

Create a macro with /assist and bind to your preferred key and in the beginning of the Dungeon just replace the tank name.

1 Like

Also, I remember that in vanilla we had a script to setting and assisting focus, if we can’t use the older one so blizz should create a new method for focusing targets, like the one in retail.

I’m gonna give you a protip. Save yourself the headache and just count to 8 before you dps anything. Srs. It makes no difference. Nobody will notice or care. I raided hardcore at a high level back in the day and did this. It’s the only way to guarantee your horrible tanks can get aggro. If you start DPS right away, you can expect to pull aggro about 90% of the time unless you have a great tank who actually uses his abilities. This matters even more when you get gear.

Majority of your tanks will probably be warriors.

In those cases just hit whatever has sunder getting stacked on it.

Its not rocket science people. Sunder = current kill target.

Tanks tab target and hit everything. If they have enough rage everything will have sunder. You guys do you but 1 target getting focused makes it a lot easier to tank. At least for the initial one, usually after that ive got enough threat on everything.

ok if they are tab targeting everything and sundering then it doesnt matter what you choose. you will rip aggro.

Stacks show on sunder so choose the one getting stacks or having more than one.