Necrolords or Nightfae?

They both look strong as of now, what are you’re thoughts?

I’m going Venthyr and just hope they improve Slaughter. Necro would be my 2nd choice.

6 Likes

Tbh was gonna pick the best mog but all leather set are somewhat bland so i dont know yet…

We also dont have all rogue info on conduits right ? Arent some of those linked to convenants (doesnt really follow SL news) ?

So far slaughter and bone spike seems like the most fun spells to use , will pick on the go once im there >.<

2 Likes

I really hope they make game as they intended to - wich mean I could choose any Covenant I want and feel good about it.

3 Likes

I have flip-flopped on my Covenant choice a lot since Alpha started. Originally, Venthyr interested me the most due to the aesthetic of Revendreth (not so much the vampire theme, just Gothic in general) . But Door of Shadows and Slaughter are both very underwhelming Covenant powers.

Then I did the Torghast questline that was added involving saving Jaina and Thrall and there is a Torghast section where you are saving Maldraxxus soldiers (the Boney Bois Army) and running into battle with them against the Jailer’s forces. This was a very, very fun moment in Torghast and actually made me want to embrace the Spartan-like culture of Maldraxxus. The only downside is their armor set looks pretty boring (I know you can just transmog–but going into SL I really do plan on wearing the Covenant sets proudly).

At the same time that was going on, I leveled another Rogue in Bastion and got to play with Echoing Reprimand and Steward. Both these Covenants are a ton of fun, ER lets you have a little mini-game in-combat and really makes you pay attention. The payoff might not be where people want it (tuning still hasn’t come in Beta), but it is a nice refresh from the monotony of some Rogue rotations. Steward is probably my favorite base Covenant ability–it is highly thematic and the strength of the Soulbinds in buffing such a simple little heal flask is amazing. I would say at this time I was 60% Maldraxxus, 30% Bastion, 10% Night Fae (Revendreth was out at this point).

Then the Legendaries got revealed, and with them three that do or can potentially synergize extremely well with Sepsis. I leveled in Ardenweald when it was added and so far it is my favorite questing zone, so the prospect of getting to go there every day for my Covenant dailies and my Sanctum wasn’t that bad of a thing for me.

I would say right now, for me, it is 40% Night Fae, 40% Kyrian, 20% Necrolords. Newer Legendaries that get added can influence this and obviously something like Slaughter can be altered or buffed to the point it has to be seriously looked at, but so far they are out. If I had to rate them:

Set look: Kyrian
Base Covenant ability: Kyrian (Soulshape is super cool, though, and very compelling)
Class Covenant ability: Kyrian
Zone/Sanctum feel: Night Fae
Faction feel: Necrolord (really digging the warrior culture)
Soulbinds feel: Kyrian (Kleia is bae)
Soulbinds strength: With the recent nerf to Kleia, Niya in Night Fae looks the strongest for the spec I want to play (Sub)

3 Likes

Necrolord is just so far ahead of the other Covenants in terms of DPS and versatility, It’s good for every single spec and single target/AoE.

Venthyr is currently a zero DPS gain and would need massive buffs or a complete rework, it’s so bad that even a 400% damage buff to the shadow DoT wouldn’t be enough.

Nightfae has potential to be good but it has a problem of only being good for two specs and limited versatility.

Kyrian is the second best choice at the moment as it’s useful for every spec and situation.

1 Like

It’s bugged right now on the Beta so that doesn’t mean much. Obviously if it did 1 damage you could still point to the CP generate and say it is too strong, but we’ll have to wait and see for final tuning passes.

If the 3rd spec you are leaving out is Outlaw, it’s still good there. Invigorating Shadowdust is actually quite strong with Sepsis + Outlaw as it will drastically increase your BtE and AR uptime as well as making Blade Flurry more spammable in ST.

The bug is it’s dealing less damage than intended.

Sepsis+Shadowdust relies entirely on how much the CDs are reduced, it’s still on a long CD that doesn’t deal much damage by itself. ~10 seconds every 1.5m is far from drastically increasing uptime.

Bone Spike+Master Assassin just deals so much more damage for every spec, the initial hit works with Blade Flurry so thats ~7k-8k damage at 200ilvl from testing.

The only way I see Sepsis being a contender for best is if they allow us to use two Legendaries for the first tier as Shadowdust+Master Assassin with Subtlety would be very strong. But I believe their intent is to have 1 general and 1 spec specific legendary equipped.

I don’t see how you think that is the case. The tooltip states it should deal X damage per spike but right now it is dealing a flat Y damage per spike. Meaning even on 2 target it is incredibly overpowered.

Bone Spike is fine if it scales beyond 4 targets, but to outscale everything even at 2 is obviously a problem.

It entirely depends on if Shadowdust works as it does in Torghast, where it reduces the cooldown of non-class abilities. If that is the case, that means Vanish would reduce the cooldown of Sepsis, which would reduce the cooldown of Vanish. This is a pretty nice feedback loop.

Bone Spike deals an additional 100% damage per active spike to your current target, however one spike each cast is only dealing it’s base damage of ~690.

The tooltip is correct and is mostly working how it says it should, the bone spikes that are doing the 100% damage are dealing the correct amount based on how many active bleeds there are.

We’ve been through this before and you are still wrong.

The tooltip states each Bone Spike deals X damage. At 2 targets it is dealing Y damage, and it still does that no matter how many targets you are using it on.

So it should work as X+X+X+etc. but is instead working as Y^Z. which is insanely overpowered.

1 Like

The damage the tooltip says matches the damage in-game, you’re just wrong and most likely don’t have the beta to test it and see for yourself.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/486284970806083584/733076212720599133/unknown.png

‘Damage matches the damage in-game’. Okay.

Working as intended.

Night Fae will 100% be the meta for PvE Sin/Sub. The 100% crit mantle legendary coupled with more ways to get into stealth will be huge.

1 Like

I thought the same, but binespike is still hella strong and doing some great damage even on st. This is especially true eith movement intense fights since the bleed last forever.
Unless they nerf the cc immunity to necro, I’m 100% going necros.

2 Likes

Probly any covenant that every one picks and is considered “BEST” will swiftly be nerfed into LOL season 1 was busted get with the times bro this is Season 2+, or blizzard will go the exact opposite rout and over buff the hell out of one of the other options. It’s just what they tend to do, just to annoy everyone forcing a massive re-roll of players after everyone has already gone balls deep on the “Good” covenant, now they got you for even more /played just because they changed the game in a way that no one wanted, and did it because it generates numbers that they can report to their investors.

Ok, when I read that back its really depressing.

5 Likes

I can’t imagine bone spike not getting nerfed. It is ticking harder than 5cp finishers.

I think it’s a hard call.

Night fae is a contender for raid and M+ dps, but you aren’t going to benefit from the extra vanish leveling (and potentially in Torgast where you need your cd’s the most) because vanish resetting a pull is going to be really annoying.

Kyrian is interesting because it’s good for all specs. Imagine a 7cp rupture into Ensag? Mmm. Or how 7 cp finishers interact with lowering Sub cooldowns? Mmmhmm. Too bad it’s the lamest covenant.

Venthyr hopefully gets a buff.

Something worth noting, Necrolord’s Bonespike is the only one that isn’t described as a bleed or poison, which means the other choices all scale with Mastery (for assassin, at least).

1 Like

Bone Spike for sure needs a nerf.
I hope slaughter gets buffs somehow. I wanna roll thay covenant for mog but won’t if I’m going to underperform

3 Likes

With the conduits viewable now on WoWhead and assuming Bone Spike gets the nerf it needs I’m 50/50 between Venthyr and Night Fae.

For reference I’m referring to:

[![](Venthyr Potency Conduit) Slaughter]
(Slaughter)'s damage and critical strike chance increased by 12%. Bonuses increased by 100% if Slaughter Poison is active.
Ranks: 12%, 14%, 16%, 18%, 20%, 22%, 24%, 26%, 28%, 30%, 32%, 34%, 36%, 38%, 40%

and

[Sepsis] Sepsis) periodic damage increased by 50%, reduced by 10% each time it deals damage.
Ranks: 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 110%, 120%, 130%, 140%, 150%, 160%, 170%, 180%, 190%

Legendaries I’m looking at to go with either:

**Mark of the Master Assassin is active and for 5 sec after breaking Stealth], your Critical Strike chance is increased by 100%.

**[Tiny Toxic Blades] Shiv) causes your Poisons and Bleeds on the target to spread to a nearby enemy.

(Hoping this could also spread Sepsis)

**[Zoldyck Insignia] Your Poisons and Bleeds deal 30% increased damage to targets below 30% health.

The only other things to consider for me are:

Venthyr teleport with 6 second AOE disorient is suuuper nice and probably allows a restealth.

Night Fae Soulshape 5 second charge out of combat is potentially a superb opener that may allow nasty Slaughter>Garrote>Slaughter>5cp finisher openers.

Night Fae though overall seems to have weaker / fewer good soulbind options where as I think you can make use out of all 3 venthyr options for different situations / content.

With all other classes having the potential to go Venthyr, there is a decent likelihood that Venthyr may be the defacto requirement for PvP simply because you can’t afford to allow highly mobile classes access to 1-2 more teleports and not also choose the same to preserve our ability to stay on target.

Warlocks with double gate legendary, demonic circle baseline, and 2 venthyr teleport charges would be impossible to stay on otherwise. The same thing essentially applies if we’re talking mages, hunters, monks, other rogues, warriors, etc. There’s only a few classes / specs where we’d still be okay without the teleports if they did have them (paladins, dks, priests, etc)

The biggest and final point of consideration is simply the overall damage potential of the covenant abilities themselves. If (when counting conduit options) one severely under performs compared to the others in the course of arena or M+, then it’s basically just off the table for me.

I can stand loosing a bit of damage in a raid where it’s less important I be topping the meters (as long as the content is cleared), but if one is significantly more damage in arena or M+ where my individual damage potential really does make a significant difference then that’s going to be a big part of the decision.

As it stands right now…the reason I’m 50/50 Venthyr / Night Fae is I am attracted to the concept of “bursty openers” and “execution” style moves.

Slaughter has the ability to dish out some MAJOR damage with it’s potency conduit (80% extra damage and 80% + base crit chance [effectively 100%] WITHOUT the crit from stealth legendary when the poison is already active…

Then the idea of Sepsis + Sepsis conduit + 30% execute legendary or Sepsis and tiny toxic blades both sound dirty for finishing people off.

That’s my 2c.

1 Like