Narrative Elements as Reflections of Blizzard's Culture

I don’t think it does anything but recontextualize the recent push (from BFA at least) to feature women and LGBT characters in advertising and tie in materials.

Like most cynics I thought it was just to score woke points and drawn in the associated audiences to try and milk them for new revenue. Now it seems more like the actions of a company desperate to distance themselves from a Politically Incorrect image that’s bumbling and fumbling it’s way along since their hearts aren’t really in it.

4 Likes

That’s almost always how it works.

Then que the frat boyz whining about how their game is too “woke” now, despite the harrowing reality behind the scenes. It’s all just bad faith and self-fullfilling arguements.

2 Likes

Christie golden is a fraud.

Turns out she didnt have as much creative control as we thought, dude. I always thought it was odd considering her non-wow books are highly praised.

Jesus Christ. Imagine being a decent writer and being told to write lore for the past few expansions, within very specific guidelines, only for the fanbase to turn on you instead of the people coming up with this garbage.

1 Like

Based on what? Golden’s books were praised by most of the WoW community before War Crimes. Her favorite characters are still the ones getting the most attention, she’s partly responsible for that.

I’m mostly talking about War Crimes and stuff afterward. I remember a video where she admits the broad strokes of the story werent under her control, but I think it was taken down so take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, all the hate she’s gotten seems a little misplaced now.

1 Like

She’s not the Lead Narrative Designer so yeah, but she’s made many of the major characters how they are and put importance on them. She gave suggestions for their involvements and what their personalities should be like. Afrasiabi is garbage but he shouldn’t be used as a scapegoat when there’s multiple people to blame for problems in the story.

3 Likes

I never once said he’s the only one to blame, or that Gold is 100% without blame. Why even say that?

But for years there’s been a nasty strain of hate directed specifically at her. For many, she’s been the scapegoat, when we clearly see now that there were larger issues in the writing department.

That’s my point. No more, no less.

1 Like

Hopefully when the Drunkards are purged and replaced with Teetotalers the Expansions and their Patches and Zones can get made quicker.

The slow development of Expansions can all be laid on the Drunkeness of Staff who refuse to work.

So, in my profession there’s something called “Subordination of Judgment”. That’s when you wash your hands of responsibility and do something unethical because your boss, your client, or your colleagues told you to do it. The Integrity and Objectivity rule of the AICPA code of professional conduct explicitly bans this behavior.

Now, yes, Christie Golden is not an accountant, but I bring this up regardless because it’s very plainly recognized as unethical behavior. If I was asked to make decisions in the course of my work that were unethical, then I would be required to resign my position. Golden, when faced with a similar situation, chose not to.

The drinking at work isn’t even that shocking to me as someone who works in tech. We do beer/dog fridays and it’s been a huge morale booster since it’s predicated on us keeping output going at a good pace.

It’s the weird cubicle-hopping allegations and the fact that it wasn’t treated like a nice reward on Fridays or whatever, but something that was pushing aside actual work that is just insanely bizzare to me.

“I was just following order.” Right?

:pancakes:

1 Like

Pretty much.

Again, the AICPA code of professional conduct explicitly defines and then bans that behavior. I don’t think you have to be an accountant to see why that’s necessary.

Of course. And it’s a HUGE thing in the military for, what should be, obvious reasons.

1 Like

She tweeted a week or two ago that the story isn’t really in any single persons hands.

Well, right.

I’m recalling an incident where Christie Golden released a tweet denying responsibility the day that the Sylvanas Warbringers cinematic came out. To which, no, you are part of and are supporting this writing team. You don’t get to celebrate and defend these decisions and then evade responsibility for them. To the extent that she was overridden, she didn’t walk away, and it appears that those overrides were pretty substantive.

How much of that is contractual obligation do you think?

I mean, as long as nothing illegal, immoral or unethical had taken place she still had a job she needed to do if she was paid, right?

Whether something immoral or unethical took place is up for discussion.

Is intentionally misleading your fanbase in order to bump up sales immoral and unethical?
Is intentionally writing a highly toxic narrative engineered to make two sides of a gaming franchise hate each other immoral and unethical?
When that narrative is packed with sexist tropes, including the stuffed in the fridge trope and a commentary about how abuse survivors become monsters - and you are pushing this message out to audiences - is that immoral and unethical?

6 Likes

Just to be clear, is Christie Gold being accused of something as well? Because if that’s the case then I can see why people are pushing back on what I said so hard.

Either way though, I do agree that if you’re a high level employee you do share some of the responsibility, but I was talking about story-decisions here, not the awful sex allegations we’ve been seeing.

My point was simply that pinning the story problems on Gold specifically over the past few years is a far too narrow way of looking at things given what we now know. My intent was never to absolve her of anything bad she may have done.

1 Like

Lmao I suggested this after the Bottegoni article avoided the term race.

That they’re worried about racism and so instead of writing Horde races well, they’re avoiding writing them at all.

Called it.

11 Likes