Name for male Night Elf

Hey there! I’ve just recently changed my name to Vytherian, but I’m having second thoughts on it. I was wondering if maybe the RP community could help me out here, or even suggest other lore-friendly names in the process.

So far, I have Vysterian, Vysterus, Vysterius. I’m leaning a little bit more on Vysterus, but still not too sure.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

If you’re looking for alternate ideas to the ones you’ve suggested. I’d start by googling “Night Elf Lore” and taking a look at both wowpedia and wowwiki. Near the bottom of both pages will be some cultural sections that mention naming. There should also be a list near the bottom of notable Night Elf characters in game, which is a good resource for ideas and inspiration. I’d also google “Night Elf Name Generator” and look for the fantasynamegenerator site. That’s a worth while source to get some ideas.

Other than that I’d ask myself about the goal of this name.
Do you want it to be Night Elfy with a Druidic flare?
Do you want to tie the name back to something significant in this character’s past?

If all that runs a little too deep, and you’d just like something fast and superficial, then maybe go back to the warcraft character creation page, bring up a Night Elf Druid and cycle through the random names it suggests. See if something there strikes you. Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with fast and superficial. 90% of my most beloved characters were either randomly named or I picked it because it seemed neat at the time.

Anywho, that’s my two cents.

[edit] …funny enough, this character’s name came about when I was doing some quick research through wikipedia more than a decade ago. I wanted to create an angry dwarf paladin that looked like the old man from Braveheart. It didn’t take me long to chase a line back to the Cambuel (Campbell) clan in Scotland, and this very name popped out at me. I named my dwarf this, then carried it over to this gnome right around MoP. I’ve made it work, I think, rather well in my RP; but that’s a whole other post for another time :wink:

To this day I can’t find that reference, and I kick myself for not copying the link or taking a screen shot so I could come back to it later and keep digging into the historical background.

1 Like