Mythic Painsmith Bugged

Hi There,

I understand guilds are now clearing this boss on a weekly basis, I understand for some big guilds this dude is on farm and I understand that its mid tier and ytou certainly care more about removing Finkle out of the game than actually focusing on your current player base who are still grinding out Mythic/Heroic raids on a weekly basis to try and complete them.

So lets focus on your current player base right now - the players who stood by you and still pay for this Live Beta of a game.

So the Issue:

Mythic Painsmith intermission phase is bugged… and here is the evidence.

Instance 1 - Firstly this footage is from an attempt where although clearly and cleanly in the correct square missing both the balls and the spikes, with an MS of 16 I got deleted for no reason at all. This seemed to be happening all night to us.

Here is a second example:

On the second example I thought - maybe I clipped the balls? but no - my death was due to “Spiked” which is coincidently the spikes…

This happened all night to our raid, this is not a normal boss, i get it requires pinpoint precision and threading those needles… but this… is god damn ridiculous…

The issue is there is no consistency to what is in or out of a square, how you have to get into the square and players get randomly deleted for no reason when they are in the correct square.

Good to know Finkle got his name changed, maybe that will help with the state of the bugs in this game which never get replied to!

I dont expect a reply - bugs never get replied to because you dont care.

1 Like

Here’s an explanation that you’re gonna hate, but that might be totally inaccurate:

Pathing Prediction is the game’s way of trying to get ahead of your actions to trigger events so they don’t appear delayed to us when we reach a position on the map.

It’s very easy to see on a hunter since your pet will exhibit the behavior as you move. As you move around sometimes you’ll notice your pet will move erratically. If you tap the forward button it will move a lot further than the player and will then reset it’s position next to the hunter.

All of this occurs within a fraction of a second. Each time your server position is updated. The timing of this update is what is probably getting you, and it’s difficult to counter.

What appears to be happening is that you’re skirting the very edge of the safe zone. In both clips your hit box circle was over the edge of the square you’re trying to “hide” in. What’s probably happening is that Pathing Prediction is updating a fraction after the bad hits you.

Essentially your correct position is updating a fraction of a second AFTER you get hit. The reason it’s probably happening to you is that you’re making a slight movement toward the “unsafe” position just before the spikes hit. Pathing Prediction guesses that’s where you’re trying to be and puts you there, even though your intention was to stop.

So, you’re best recourse, if I’m correct, is to stand as close to the center of the safe spot as possible, and do your best to not make any minor corrections before the spikes and balls arrive.

This sucks, but I don’t think there’s any way for Blizzard to correct this. Afaik it’s staple of online gameplay and is impossible to eliminate.

All that said, it could be something else entirely.

1 Like

If youre on the tile when its already blue-gray you are dead and your death will be delayed

Thanks - but its a really simple fix… don’t make (and then release - then abandon) boss mechanics that your own engine cannot complete with accuracy.

noted. i won’t make any more.

2 Likes

Thanks champ - appreciate it

It’s better than it used to be. But yeah, if you are moving at the last second you can get spiked like that. It’s annoying. It sucks. But you can’t be that late in leaving the square that is about to be unsafe.

Also highly recommend putting your position marker WA on your feet instead of on the middle of your model, since that’s where you actually are.

Couple things here…

First impressions, on the first video it looks like you overshot the square by a bit.
Second video, it looks like you were in the top left of the square, so if the spikes didn’t hit you, the balls would have.

A lot of people in my guild used the cross position or box around character weakaura, or something similar to help center themselves.

Also, you’re 30 something pulls in. Average for this boss is around 200+. We spent 3-4 raid nights just pushing to intermission and practicing it then wiping. It’ll just become second nature. You got this.

As stated died to spikes not balls

As I stated, you were in the top left of the square. Both would have hit you if the spikes didn’t kill you first. Being in the center of the square is imperative in this fight.

This was my message too. The way the game updates positioning is based partly on your behavior. If you move in a straight line it updates at regular intervals. If you change direction, strafing is especially good for this, it will shoot an update to the server.

What’s happening is that you’re near the edge and before an update reaches the server to say that you’ve stopped moving, the game had already predicted you intended to keep moving, which put you in the deadly square (according the last positional information it received.)

By standing nearest the center of a square you reduce the chance for errors because the positional update will occur again before the computer could place you in danger, either through your own movement, or using your predicted movement. Literally the game knows you couldn’t move that fast so it would not predict a position in the danger zone.

First one was suspect, second one looked pretty straight forward how you died.

Understood, I didn’t do any strafing during this portion. I turned my camera and ran straight. Overall, it took a lot of time for us to get the positioning down, and I think you’ll find it less of a concern over time. Rooting for you, that boss’ mechanics is a monster. Fate prog starts tonight for me.

1 Like

My question is why are people waiting to the last second to run for the gap.

I might just be preaching to the choir here, if you’ve done the fight already, but the reason for waiting between the spikes is so the embers are not spread out, trapping any players that are even a step behind.

Might be waiting to be grouped up as well in case of a straggler.

Thats not the point of this post at all…