Mythic+ Died Overnight

I don’t mean for the title to come across as hyperbole or ‘sky is falling’ type reactionarism. I’ve never posted on discussion forums in 10 years of playing but this most recent patch has pushed me to this.

Tuesday night seemed like it might be a night like any other. Run a search for ‘+13’ and you’d have about 2-3 pages worth of options. Then people started to fail keys, or succeed and get a key that just wasn’t good this week. And now there are generally between 4-6 keys up in the 12-14 range, because everyone either has a key they refuse to run, or like me, they’ve tried to make it happen anyway, and they’re out thousands of gold in repairs and consumables with a nothing but a depleted key to show for it.

Anyone that has a key that isn’t trash is going to selfishly guard it now, somehow to a greater extent than before, and if you’re not playing one of the 5-6 meta specs with gear/io in excess of what’s required for the dungeon, you’re just plain SOL.

Compounding all of this, several of the best specs were nerfed and nothing that wasn’t already good hasn’t become viable, so the pool of qualified players/characters has shrunk. There are dozens of significant dungeon changes that no one bothered to announce (That’s not even a design disagreement, it’s simply unprofessional), tons of bugs, and titan residuum’s earning rate is so low that even doing a +15 each week, the new raid will be here before I can buy a specific 385.

This just isn’t fun. I’ve generally found BFA to be less fun and rewarding than legion was, but thus far it’s still met the minimum threshold of enjoyability to be worth continuing to play and see where it goes. In one patch, that ceased to be the case. Amongst me and my small group of friends, we were eagerly waiting for 8.1, only to find the features we looked forward to were big let downs, nothing broken was fixed, and many of the things that were limping along have been outright broken.

I love WoW. I love mythic plus. But this just isn’t fun. And all anyone has to do is press ‘Ctrl-I’ to see that I’m far from the only one that feels this way.

53 Likes

Very well put, they’ve managed the wreck that last remaining vestige of this game that was still fun for me.

4 Likes

Agree. This week made me pack it in.

5 Likes

Yeah no point of pushing keys anymore if I am going to just get 4 extra residuum after +10 and no AZ piece in the chest. I have a raider. io of 1200 and I have no real reason to push anymore.

Getting 76 for a 14 killed it for me and why would I buy a 385 piece when the new raid normal is 385 with an extra ring now.

2 Likes

I agree. I noticed that high keys are hard to find this week. It’s annoying. Obviously the key destruction thing wasnt intentional but now that we had it and it’s been taken away, it feels like punishment for doing nothing wrong.

I agree with everything you said. I’m also pretty tired of the general attitude of Blizzard employees. It’s just total lack of respect for their player base.

12 Likes

Keystones should not exist at all. You ought to be able to pick your +2 to +15 difficulty right from the menu.

Keystones are single use–win or lose–and can’t be changed or deleted; this leads to a toxic atmosphere of blame when things go wrong, and rigid entry requirements which often exceed the rewards yielded by the dungeon.

The demand for high level keystones far exceed the supply and that’s an issue. Keep the timer and affixes, drop the keystones.

19 Likes

That’s an awful idea. Everyone would zerg +10’s as soon as they hit 120.

1 Like

Yup that’s me! Got a 12 motherlode key and you better believe I’m only gonna invite super geared and experienced players because of the affixes this week combined with the inability to delete key.

Furthermore when I do finally run it, it’s going to be “Make Time or Quit” and try again with a different group on +11 Motherlode so I don’t get stuck with a stupid key after completing the run. I’m just not gonna complete the run under any circumstances if we don’t make timer.

G freaking G blizzard

3 Likes

I’ll stay to see how fun the new raid will be but after that I think I’ll unsub. The lore sucks.

Reward per mythic+ dungeon should be balanced out… Maybe more gear for longer dungeons or something.

Fresh 120’s can’t clear +10. No more than fresh 120’s can clear Mythic Uldir.

2 Likes

Won’t stop them from trying to get carried and posting it constantly. And even if they don’t, how long before they start? 320 ilvl? It would be out of control.

You can AFK through Warfronts and World Quests for Mythic raid gear. Is that out of control?

Keys just unnecessarily bottleneck content players would otherwise attempt.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s already out of control with players being 375 ilvl without going past normal Uldir or higher than a +5 key. Warfronts give you a piece of heroic gear without trying. WQ’s dont count, since they only give 370 gear once you’re about 360. The key progression system ensures that people are learning and understanding dungeons.

2 Likes

At 345 you can clear a 10 in roughly 2hrs with no real knowledge of what’s going on. If you’re a better than average player, you can get it under an hour. Earning a key is better than just destroying the content.

I feel like this notion can only come from someone who doesn’t actually like Mythic plus but is only shooting for max rewards. Quick 10 completion (most likely out of time, because you don’t care, not because you couldn’t) and you’re done with the whole thing in less than an hour each week.

1 Like

I think getting rid of a Keystone is a good idea. Maybe make it so the party leader can only set it to +1 or +2 or +3 to whatever they’ve cleared in time.

Example: I’m a fresh 120, I clear a Mother Lode +2 in time, that would have been a +2 to the keystone, I can now do Mother Lode +4, to infinity until I chest it.

This will open up M+. People will be far more likely to take risks on people/classes that don’t have high IO or aren’t in the meta.

If someone joins a group above what they would normally be able to key.

Blizzard suddenly gets an explosion of data as to which dungeons are popular / easy, and can nerf/buff them accordingly.

6 Likes

Unlikely that the keystone contributes much to this mindset. Anyone willing to take a sub optimal spec now would be the same person doing so later. Some people want it to go as easily as they think it can. If that means stacking burst/utility specs, that’s what they’ll do. Other’s are less picky in general. I ran Prot War, Holy Priest, 3x affliction locks to see how far we could go. We couldn’t beat the 7 but it was a fun experiment.

A lot of people don’t even know why the meta is the meta, but they keep to it anyway in their 5 keys.

3 Likes

I agree about gear. I think gearing should be much harder; I deplore welfare epics. On the other hand I disagree because I think the keystone system discourages players from even trying to complete higher keys which is essential to the learning process.

4 Likes

Well hopefully they weren’t lying when it comes to some changes coming in soon for trash on the Q&A.

But if they were lying…it won’t be pretty.

1 Like

Nope, stuff still REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hurts.

1 Like