My thoughts on DF BM Hunter Talent trees - as of now

Ptr and beta are on different builds. My screenshots are from beta with lvl 70 toon if that helps.

That might be the issue. I did ask a friend with Beta access to test it for me. He said it wasnā€™t working for him either, but he may have just been too lazy to actually test.

I copied your talents on PTR realm, I still get the pet to Smack every time I cast Barbed Shot at 2+ stacks of Frenzy. You could be letting your Frenzy drop which is why I said provide a log, we can see everything with a log.

Definitely not letting Frenzy drop. I get it to three stacks and watch as the combat text scrolls and check for pet Focus being spent. Iā€™ve tested every combination I can think of and pet special attack doesnā€™t trigger for me with Brutal Companion unless auto cast is turned on. Still trying different combinations of talents and pets to see if I can get it to work, but so far nothing.

I logged onto PTR, to test this for myself. The event to trigger a Basic Attack from gaining a 3rd stack of Frenzy definitely works for me, it also works when refreshing while at 3 stacks already.

I noticed, however, that thereā€™s no difference in the damage dealt by the Basic Attack, regardless of whether you trigger one via casting Barbed Shot, with Brutal Companion picked, or if you instead manually click on the Basic Attack button to make your pet cast it.

You can see this in the image below, both via the combat log, but also through the Details summary.

• In the combat log, the Basic Attack(Smack) at the top is from Brutal Companion.
  • The Basic Attack(Smack) at the bottom is cast via a manual click on the actual button on the action bar, by me.
  • It clearly shows that both times it did the same damage to the target dummy.

(Also, for me, Basic Attacks triggered by Brutal Companion do not consume any of my petā€™s Focus)

I can only assume that their intent is that Basic Attacks which are caused by Brutal Companion deal 100% increased base damage(not counting the damage bonus which is added if your pet uses the attack while above 50 Focus). In practicality, this just means that you trigger a regular cast of a Basic Attack for your pet(as normally, it never goes below the 50 Focus threshold, in my experience).

Anyway, hereā€™s the image:

Dungeoning at 70 on the beta, MM isā€¦ really quite solid, gameplay-wise. BM is the one that seems barely if at all differentiated between its builds.

Itā€™s kind of making me wish Murder of Crows would either go oGCD and get a Focus cost reduction or be revamped to automatically chain on kill; Bloodshed to have some sort of splash; talents like Flamewakerā€™s to be buffed or revamped to actually be noticeable even when at high Focus; access to a second Kill Shot charge and some resultant synergy, especially with AoE implication; etc., etc.

Right now BM, especially in AoE, just feels really flat. Not compared to its own Shadowlands state, but compared to DF MM and SV.

After a lot more testing, I think I found the issue. If you wouldnā€™t mind, Iā€™d appreciate if youā€™d test the same thing.

What I found is that if I use a raptor pet, Brutal Companion does not trigger at all. It works fine if I use any other pet in my stable, but both of the raptors I tried didnā€™t trigger it. I tested with a Hyena cunning pet to see if it was a cunning issue, but that pet procced it just fine.

Edit: After even more testing, every pet Iā€™ve tried that uses Claw as their special ability does not proc Brutal Companion. Every pet that uses Bite or Smack works fine.

So yeah, if you have any raptor pets, can you give it a whirl?

Logs: https:// www.warcraftlogs .com/reports/3z6fwmgBcJdb2Rvy/

Logs are confusing to me, but maybe you can figure out what it all means. Mortis and Doofus are my two raptor pets.

2 Likes

That is going to be it, I only tested it with Faultline (Smack) and my ravager (Bite); Gara (Claw) isnā€™t procing it.

1 Like

This was happening for me when I was hitting dummies on the beta in Elysian hold which was even weirder since I am kyrian with my character copy to beta. But the problem seemed to go away when I was in the DF zones leveling