My issue with PVP

There is the crux of the issue.

Players are not mobs, they’re people. Some of us recognize that, others want to ignore that fact.

No, you have lost track of the difference between real life experiences and encounters and those that occur in a fantasy role play game.

If they feel the same to you, we will never agree on anything.

You may find you spend your life feeling victimized. I don’t live that way.

I cannot be victimized in a fantasy online role play game. No matter what happens.

3 Likes

if I enter a BG it’s ‘anything goes’.
you have to take the good with the bad.
the only thing - and I mean the ONLY thing that I don’t like about BG - is when someone on my team says, ‘let the other team win’.
because I know i’ll be playing to best of my ability until the game is over.

you need to only play when pvp isn’t going to upset you.
I never get upset or emotional during pvp, because I know that it’s like a volatile marriage - i’m going to have some terrific highs, and i’m going to have games where we get absolutely slaughtered.

I have the advantage of age (i’m 51 now) and I know that never losing my composure means I enjoy the game more and I will make better decisions in it.

if you can’t find that place within you that can suppress emotion/frustration, it’s probably not worth doing it.

1 Like

As adults we have, hopefully, learned that life is full of frustration. We learn that, in part, as children playing games. When you find you are frustrated in a fantasy role play game, if you are capable of learning, you learn. If you rage at the frustration, you are not equipping yourself well for what you face in real life.

2 Likes

In a fantasy on-line game, the other players are nothing more or less than very clever NPCs. You do not, and can not, know who or what the mind is behind the game play. You just learn to discover how you deal with adversity, loss, failure and triumph. You presume that the other players are learning something as well - but you can never know what. It is projection and arrogance that insists that you understand the motives and actions of game opponents.

You have no idea what those player intentions are. You do not know their mission. In the game, those game opponents may be there to frustrate your goals. If you take the bait, they have won. If you don’t let them frustrate you, if you find a way to overcome the obstacle in the moment or a year from now, you have won.

Only a bad game lets you win every time.

The only one who looks bad is the guy crying with pages of drivel about how he can’t deal with being ganked.

1 Like

I never could understand that. Why go crying to the forums about being killed by another player ?

If you are so sensitive why the heck did you go into pvp to start with ?
If you are getting camped ? Heck just log off and go play an alt.

And if you cannot resolve your issues then go find a single player game where no one can hurt you or your feelings.

1 Like

Good try.

I did. You snowflakes are endlessly complaining because you can’t deal with one dude trying to camp you on a pvp server. My post doesn’t make me a “tough guy,” it points out that this mentality is pathetic, and points to several problems with the modern cultural mental state of so many in this generation.

There are several ways to deal with one kid who enjoys ganking. One of them includes logging off.

1 Like

If someone rolled on a PvP server, turned PvP on, is in a battleground, etc, then no I don’t feel bad for winning. They knew what they signed up for and did so willingly just like I did.

In ESO there is an entire zone that is PVP…the only zone in the game that is PVP with objectives, quests, etc.

And the forum is full of “I want to go to cyro to do the quests but I don’t want to pvp or be killed”.

The snowflake syndrome of current gamers is pretty pathetic across several games that provide different play styles.

1 Like

I’ll be fair on this: Blizzard has (or had, at least) a strict policy of ‘If there is a pvp solution, then it is not harassment.’ Thus, even in some rather heavy cases of griefing, Blizzard doesn’t intervene. It takes some significant dedication to griefing for Blizzard to step in. We’re able to police ourselves, because for every griefer, there are 5-10 folks ready to put them in the dirt :slight_smile:

Just because there’s a screen between you and the other person, and the pixels are your ‘body’ so to speak, it doesn’t mean that people don’t exist. It’s still social interaction. You’re still engaging with people. To disregard that entirely is wrong. To care TOO much about them and not enjoy yourself is also wrong. But if your point is to cause them suffering, that is a human interaction (Because you can’t cause an NPC suffering).

This is great for you, but others might not be able to do the same. That’s strength in your own sense of self, and limitation. You can take a lot of abuse and stand strong against it. Or rationalize it away. In either case, not everyone is the same, and some people rightfully do feel hurt when camped/griefed. I still believe if that person gets upset, they should take a break, but there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s not being ill equipped. If anything, they’re more equipped to deal with frustrations.

I don’t know if you’re accusing me of that, but it’s far from the case. If I had to pick a side, I’m on the pvper side. I’m not defending griefers, but I’m also not enabling the ones upset about the little things. Ganking’s a thing. I do it(But I don’t camp). The PvE players have a skewed experience, having not played on a PvP server. I expect they had the situation happen once and assumed it was constant. It’s not. I’ve taken mostly the middle ground in most of this discussion. But being needlessly rude to someone without following the conversation just looks bad on your part. Shows that you basically just came here to insult someone, and that doesn’t improve anything.

You’re expression the exact opposite mentality, but an equally ill equipped mental state. The stance of “get over it LUL” isn’t a good one. And I’d wager you don’t take that kind of sentiment as well as you’re suggesting you might. Both sides are bad. I’m not defending the entitled ones either. Just pointing out that you’re no better.

And yet more PvP players on display proving my (and others) points about them correct.

Please continue to prove us right. It is glorious being vindicated like this.

You’re a carebear so what do you care what happens on a pvp server or in bgs ?

I prefer the ridicule and shame of that person having nothing better to do in their life than log onto a game just to camp a low level so that they can’t play.

See above post for another post proving us correct.

Correct about what ? You choose what play style you want.
pvp has a ruleset. If you don’t like it you don’t pvp.

Am I my brother’s keeper? My answer is no.

There are winners and losers, victims and victimizers, the sound and the broken. That’s life.

If people experience these things in a fantasy game, that’s delusion. They are not well.

I am not interested in helping the sick to heal. The sick do what the sick always do - they get in the way. They suck all the oxygen out of the room. They cry for support and never provide any themselves. Those are not rules I live by and they are certainly not rules I concern myself with in a fantasy game.

We are different you and I. But you see, I know it. I understand the world as it is, not as you might think it should be.

If one can’t control themselves in the face of loss, adversity, insult, pain and even death . . . they are certainly not worth my time.

Couldn’t post without the derogatory “carebear”, could you?

Thank you for proving us correct that PvP players can’t go by without insulting PvE players.

Carebear isn’t an insult. I’m one myself.

I’m also an LFR hero. And if there were an achievement I’d get “Behind the Curve”.

It’s an insult only if you make it one.

Carebear to me is one who prefers pve play style over pvp play style.

It wasn’t meant as an insult at all Fallanaa.