My Disconnecting Solution

Hi there Smallti,

Thanks for taking the time to to post this, I hope this helps others who have the same problem as you. :slight_smile:

For others, an easy way to check this on Windows is as follows:

• Press Windows + R
  • Type CMD and press enter
  • Type the command ipconfig /all and press enter

Once this is done you will have a bit of information show up. In this information will be a part that shows the lease obtained or expired time.

/Nathardrick

1 Like

Why does it seem battle.net takes over 20 minutes to reconnect after this happening but everything else is seamless? No issues with other games or streaming or browsing.

Well, when it happened to me the would reconnect in just a second. Too short of a time to effect any video streaming. As far as the bnet app, sometimes it does not reconnect right away automatically. Just exit and restart it.

I should also say that I did look on these forums and did every step of Blizzard’s disconnect troubleshooting article https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/112213 before I did anything else.

I’ve been having this same problem for several days now, kicking me out of our mythic raids, mythic dungeons, and generally causing me a lot of havoc. How do you change the DHCP lease times? I’m trying to google it for my computer and not finding any help from Windows help articles (big surprise). It’s after hours on a Saturday and holiday weekend so I doubt I’ll be able to contact Spectrum directly for a few days. Is there a way to reset a router to factory settings from the physical router itself or do you have to have access to the router’s website because I don’t have that.

You have to log into your router I think. My internet company’s router page doesn’t have many options for me so I called them and had them do it.

or you can try what this guy said Disconnected every hour or 2 - #29 by Shadin-bleeding-hollow

1 Like

I have the same problem of being dropped every hour, but i can restart my game immediately

Have been experiencing this same issue for the last week +. Thought it was just my machine until my daughter (Overwatch fan) complained it was happening as well. Tried everything I could think of, came to the forums hoping for a clue. Can confirm, my modem was set to timeout at one hour intervals. Changing the time has fixed the issue. Thanks so much Smallti !!

1 Like

Hey, Arynee!

Just out of curiosity, what Modem/Router are you using? I have noticed a few other players that had the DHCP Lease timer set to 1 hour recently and wanted to see if there was any commonality.

Thanks!

Just adding myself in.

Arris
And 1 hour lease.

I changed the lease to 1 week and I’ll see how it goes. Unfortunately now, I have to go to bed. But I’ll be on Wow tomorrow. Will report back in then.

Just to follow up.

I didn’t get more than about 1.5 hours of play tonight. But I did make it past the one hour mark with no disconnections.

Ive been having this problem too. Exactly between 9:45 and 10 pm every night for the last 5 nights. When I get home I’ll check to see what router my timer is at.

Just popped back in and saw the question!

Router/modem: Arris
Model: DG860

Router provided by ISP, have not been kicked since the DHCP lease time update mentioned above. (time on mine was listed in seconds)

I confirmed this is what was doing it, but it is set for 24 hours, just that the 24 hours is ending at precisely 9:57 pm. Do I have to reset the thing at 5 am to set the window to 5 am?

Hey everyone!

I am glad to hear that we are finding some resolutions to the issue by changing or updating the lease times for the affected routers/modems.

The options for setting this will vary based on make/model of the device. In some cases this may be managed by the ISP.

If you can set the lease times yourself through the modem settings, awesome. If not, you can try forcing a reset of the device itself at a time you do not typically use the modem. You may need to unplug the power to the device and leave it unplugged for 30 minutes+ to help ensure the cached data your ISP uses to assign your DNS and IP address is cleared and in theory that should put your renewal at that time.

In some cases you may need to contact your ISP and work out a better leasing timeframe if they control this and there are no options to adjust it on your end.

For anyone whose disconnected are confirmed tied to the Lease times, this should solve your issue, however if the connection issues are not tied to those lease timeframes, there may be other issues happening. I recommend in those cases starting your own thread or if your symptoms match another existing and current thread, joining the discussion there.

Would just like to add a little bit of info here as well. I am also experiencing the same hourly disconnects. I am on an Arris Router. model 2482. Suddenlink cable. I have tried changing the DHCP time and it would not let me. The tech that came out yesterday also said they couldn’t change it. So am I just suppose to deal with it until either blizzard or suddenlink discovers a solution?

Have you tried this yet? If you have and it did not work I suggest calling your ISP and have them look into changing the lease time on your modem.

haven’t tried that although I don’t see how a new product would benefit from a reset like that since it seems dhcp release time is the issue… you know the setting no one seems to be able to change

Can someone tell me how to make my DHCP be long enough so I dont get all these horrible disconnects either? Not only that, but i can hardly log into wow anymore. I have a mac! plz help

Ok, lets try a different method of explaining. My DHCP release time was set at 9pm. I waited until 5am and then I reset the modem. Now my DHCP is set for 5am when I don’t use the computer as much. Now, If your modem is not doing that after you have done this then I suggest you get in contact with your ISP and explain why you need the DHCP release time changed.

This is not a WoW issue this is a MODEM issue which lies with your ISP. So if you want to be angry and whatnot then get on the phone with the people you PAY and make them work for it.