My Changed Views on Covenants as a Casual

It wasn’t difficult at all to switch talents. It just cost a rising gold cost and you had to talk to a trainer. You didn’t have to grind for 6 months to change out a talent because Blizzard decided it was overpowered and nerfed it.

4 Likes

I do remember that, but do we want to go back to that? Should we also bring back attunements, remove LFD, LFG, LFR, and make it so that a minute fraction of the community sees the end-game content again?

I would agree with this if some of the abilitites weren’t downright garbage right now. Heaven forbid I want to play Night Fae as a Frost DK when Frost doesn’t even have an interaction with the Covenant class ability.

I don’t think I ever said that.

Please stop trying to tell me that two abilities is similar to picking a class. Get out of here with that man. It’s never been a sub-class, and never will be a sub-class.

Nope, I’m a casual I don’t raid mythic :slight_smile:

No but I’d like to be able to align myself with a Covenant that I like without purposely gimping myself in gameplay. I want to hang with the abominations and be a true Warrior of Death, but then I have to take an under performing ability because of that. You give me a break, sir.

4 Likes

When did he say this

Classes do get nerfed all the time. What happens when talents get nerfed? Sometimes, that means you don’t use it anymore. What happens if an a passive proc chance gets buffed? What if that means that it enables a new talent build to thrive? The game isn’t so inflexible as that.

I’m in the RP category, but I’ve been feeling upset about it too:

6 Likes

I think it was in one of Bellular’s videos. It was floating around here over the weekend.

This is preach’s reservation with the system. What’s yours?

Bear in mind that in a recent interview, the dev team stated their intent to make swapping your covenant relatively painless while swapping back to that original covenant would be more difficult.

In other words, people who change their mind about which covenant to commit to won’t be harshly punished while the players who had hoped to swap up their covenant to suit the world quest their on would be.

1 Like

You do not get to demo a class in raids before you level it to max level. At a certain point you have to go with a gut feel and decide this is the class you want to play because it seems like you’ll have fun with it. Maybe you’re wrong, and you level up a different class.

Right. Classes get nerfed and life moves on. We don’t throw out the entire class system simply because class X is starting to have less success due to a nerf.

1 Like

I’m literally shaking right now.

1 Like

That’s not really sufficient to see how each covenant performs at the really difficult levels of content.

1 Like

I disagree significantly here mate.

I like to play a class to its entirety. I have a paladin because i enjoy all three roles being able to be filled by one character, depending on what I feel like playing.

I very much do not like the idea of the game penalizing me at 2 of the 3 roles, based off of an arbitrary concept like player agency.

And after going through a fair bit of this conduit and soulbind stuff, I dont feel like their explanation assuages my fears.

5 Likes

Copying my comment from above in case you missed it, since you recently replied -

Yeah nobody cares about that. What matters is how they perform in raids, pvp, mythic+

You are very correct here. However, picking a Covenant should not be comparable to picking a class given what these Covenants provide. I have had that exact thing happen to me actually, and I just deal with it :slight_smile:

But do you know what pisses me off? When I know what Covenant I want to choose because of lore, aesthetics, RP, and character identity but then the ability is next to useless. I don’t like that very much.

10 Likes

Strawman.
/s

1 Like

I understand that switching talents wasn’t challenging to do or time consuming. It was limited unless you had bottomless quantities of gold. If you understood perfectly what I meant then there’s no need to split hairs.

Right. Good thing that won’t be a necessary part of changing your covenant in shadowlands either.

1 Like

I agree entirely. Imo covenants being the way you experience the aesthetic/lore/story of shadowlands is a very meaningful choice. Gameplay being locked behind that choice means that either you can’t choose what you want to aesthetic/lore/story wise, or you get stuck with gameplay you may or may not enjoy. Neither of those options are good.

4 Likes

Also, this isn’t even true. Numbers decide my main, and I can easily wait to see what’s dominant for the first tier.

No I didn’t understand what you meant when you said it was difficult to switch talents if that isn’t what you meant. Perhaps you should try writing what you actually mean if you want people to know what you meant to say. And, yes, they did say switching covenants was going to be a tremendous time sink, if you wanted to return to a covenant that has an ability you need for a different spec.

Preach said it. You referenced his video. I’m glad we agree then that it’s nonsense.

Exactly. It’s not. For people to feel pigeonholed into making four of the same class to have two lackluster utility skills but not feel forced to have numerous raid-ready classes speaks to the inconsistency.

1 Like