Mute Login Screen

I often forget to close the wow window at night because I am chronically ill and when I “crash” I have very little time to get to bed or I will fall asleep at the desk (or even collapse and end up sleeping on the floor trying to get to bed). But then I end up hearing the dragon roaring in the log in screen all night, or when I wake up in the morning and I am unable to move I hear it for hours. There used to be an option to mute the log in screen, and now there is not since Dragonflight. I have searched and searched for away to mute it, and even got an addon called mutesoundfiles to try and mute it… but I need the sound ID and cannot find that. Does anyone know any way to mute the log in screen without muting sounds while playing wow? Or know how to find the sound ID for the log in screen (or even JUST the dragon roaring)?

2 Likes

Headphones you leave in or sound off on the computer?

I haven’t had wows sound on unless I know a cutscenes coming. Otherwise it just off.

I cannot use headphones sadly (touch sensitivity), but turning sound off the computer wouldn’t work. For one, it is the same problem, when I get tired it is an instant crash and I can’t think enough to turn the sound off. But also, it has my alarm on it so muting the computer would not work either way. I am looking for a way to mute just the login screen noises once it goes to the “reconnect” screen while it is up… and sadly turning off the computer sounds completely is not an option.

Press your Windows key before you crash. Windows start menu comes up, puts WoW in the background and mutes the game sound. Your computer alarms will still work.

I tend to play with windowed mode and do other things while waiting for rares and such, so I do have wow sounds play while in the background… so that would not work either. As I have stated, I am looking for a way to mute the login screen or the sound ID and I am not looking to close something, click something, etc. I am looking for something that just happens automatically without me doing anything, because at that point I can’t (it is hard to describe, but my body just decides to shut down and with fibro fog my thought processes just come to a complete stop and I am not even sure I could tell you my name at that point much less think to close a screen, push a button, change a setting, etc.). I do appreciate that you are trying to help, but sadly that is not what I was asking for. :frowning:

It is likely that what you are asking for doesn’t really exist, thus they’re giving you some options and advice with that in mind.

I can understand the sudden crashes, and I’m quite sorry you have to deal with them! :worried: But unfortunately, outside of finding the sound ID for Alexstraza’s dragon roar and hoping that sound file mute addon helps, I genuinely don’t think there is a way within WoW or via addons to mute just the login screen specifically. Dawnson’s suggestion about the Windows key is probably the best you’ll get, unfortunately.

I also wish we had the option to either mute the screen and/or make it a static background.

I don’t really need a “dynamic” launcher.

1 Like

Use alt+F4 instead of going through all the menus to close things down.

Yeah, I get that. I do appreciate the folks trying to help, I just wanted to make it clear it still wouldn’t work since I need something that would just auto take care of it (or I wouldn’t even be asking). I know every previous expansion has had either an in game option or various other options including replacing a sound file and all. But I have no idea how to find sound IDs. I tried finding a specific place to search for them, or even trying to find someone else who wanted to mute it who found it and posted about it, but I just haven’t been able to find anything. It has just been something that has been causing an issue for me all night on most nights that I really wish I had the normal mental capacity to just turn it off, or mute wow, or whatever… sadly, I don’t. And by the time I realize it is a problem, I am in bed and I cannot even get out of bed by myself to turn it off (I have a caregiver that has to help lift me out of bed).

Is there any chance you could ask your caregiver to mute the sound? Like, teach them how to do it so that they’ll know in case you have one of your crashes?

Because unfortunately, I think as things are now, there’s not really anything that can do as you want it/need it to do. :dracthyr_cry: Only what we’ve been able to suggest, and baring that, having your caregiver tend to it if possible.

You need a monkey Butler

play without sound.

set your screen to flash for rares.

Just alt+f4 when you feel it coming.

@Aprilis
No, Sadly he is not here when it is a problem sadly. He comes in during the morning, makes sure I get out of bed, helps me use the restroom/bathe, makes sure I have food and water for the day, does a few odds and ends and then leaves.

@Nobully,
Sadly, that would not work. I often have another browser open and I am doing something else and my character would die if I do not hear it, and I would not see flashing or anything on wow because it is in the background. Muting all wow sounds would not work, which is why I keep saying I am just looking to mute the one sound in the loading screen, not all of wow. If it were that easy, I would not have needed to post here… but I do appreciate your trying.

@Weirdbeard,
I do not think you understand what I mean by I am crashing… I cannot think, it is not about what buttons to click, what to close, what to mute at the time, etc. because I cannot. One second I am fine, the next second it is like I have just been given a MASSIVE amount of drugs and the world is spinning, my body is suddenly going limp and I am mostly unable to move and my muscles stop working properly, I cannot think of anything I might not be able to even tell you my name and the ONLY think I can focus on his hopefully making it to my bed before I physically fall and black out on the floor. I would not be able to remember to hit any combination of buttons, I would not be able to recall that this is a persistant problem for me, I would not be able to disable warcraft sounds, etc… I do not remember to close the window, or turn the computer screen off, or anything. I often do not remember to turn my light off, or say goodbye to people on Discord, or many other things as well… my body / brain do not function properly like yours does. That is why I keep reiterating that these solutions unfortunately do not work for me and I undertand there may not be a solution, but I am hoping that someone out there knows how to 1. Silence JUST the log in screen and only the log in screen or 2. knows how to find sound files and can either find the right one or tell me how to figure that out so I can do it and try to mute it that way. I very specifically need something that will not mute other game sounds, will not require me to hit any buttons when I am crashing at the end of the day, and will stop that sound. Much like the option in previous expansions, or when people would delete sound files and replace them with one with the same name and no sound, or the many other ways people have muted them in the past. Last expansion it was a click button in the sounds menu, but this expansion it is not.

This doesn’t work when you are multitasking.

1 Like

which part doesn’t work?

they said they play in windowed mode.

the screen will flash, the window will flash…

??

the window might flash, but the window is not visible so you cannot see it flashing. I might be working on a worksheet or watching netflix, and wow is in the background (not visible) while waiting for rare scanner to go off (so I need the sound) so I know to switch back to wow. Or, I might hear that I am being attacked and need to switch back to wow. The window flashing will not help if you cannot see the screen. That is how windowed mode works. Actually… at this moment, I am waiting for the Seige on Dragonbane keep to start, and I cannot see wow because I am typing on here and this is the screen that is visible right now.

have the windows offset instead of stacked.

lol i’m still not seeing the problem

i do it with fullscreen.
(…and have done it with windowed mode… in fact i’m sure that when it was in windowed mode, the minimized window would flash if an event was detected?)

i’m doing it right now… i’ve got the game fullscreen at the moment, and i’ve got the forum open on top of it.
if something attacks me, i’m going to see the screen flashing

/shrug

You might be able to mute the sounds but it will take some investigative work.

Try using Leatrix Plus addon (mute custom sound option) - you will need the sound file ID of the sounds. I believe Leatrix Sounds addon can help identify those.

Yes! I have no need to hear music blasting at me when the screen logs me out. But I like to hear music in game, so I’m constantly having to mute sound so it doesn’t drown out some video I’m listening to.

1 Like