Museum exhibit of video games tested by ATi

60 votes and 20 comments so far on Reddit

All these games were tested at former ATi headquarters (AMD bought them out in 2006, which is why AMD Radeon cards exists) at Markham Canada

And as you can see, Vanilla WoW is part of that exhibit, WoW exists thanks to ATi testing

2 Likes

Are you trying to imply WoW wouldn’t have finished development without ATi? I mean, that’s reaching, even for you.

5 Likes

Well maybe not, except that back then ATi was outperforming Nvidia hard :grinning: so I’m pretty sure they needed the best to get WoW going

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/430bex/what_were_graphics_card_market_like_back_in_2000s/

The ATI Radeon line of graphics cards first hit the scene in 2000. It was an uphill battle, but eventually ATI cards started to achieve performance parity of Nvidia and even surpassed them at different times during late 2002 through 2004.

Took 4 years to get WoW developed so I’m sure they created the game with ATi and then support it for other brands

They went to ATi to do internal testing before alpha

I’m sure they went to Nvidia for testing too. Most devs aren’t going to write for a single vendor.

GTA 5 though, extremely favors Nvidia no matter what AMD card you have

but point is, yes im sure Blizzard back then did reach out Nvidia too, but all I said was they reach to ATi first while in development, before alpha testing, ATi then had the power to help make vanilla WoW what it was

I wonder what would happen if I had also posted info about the old WoW servers that were auctioned off a few years ago were actually run by AMD Opteron Server CPUs :rofl:

1 Like

Wow, Age of Empires… those were the days :smiley: