Multiple delete/reinstalls later

What the heck is going on with WoW??? This has been an issue for like 2 weeks, and I have been crossing more and more things off the list of what COULD have been causing all these issues. It all started with what I THOUGHT was a problematic drive that was severely fragmented to 14% (if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…), but now I’m beginning to think its something either directly with Blizz’s code or something Microsoft fubar’d with a Win10 patch (as they tend to do).

I have now fully deleted and cleared all traces (shout out to mah boi ASC Powerful Uninstaller) of WoW and Bnet 3 times. Its on a brand new 1Tb WD HDD with .01% fragmentation. I have a brand new 250GB WD SSD being delivered tomorrow for which the sole intent is to cross off any flaw due to blizz wanting to use SSD now (shout out to mah gurl Amazon).

Having strolled my wondering way through the forums, Ive seen tons of reports from other people having the same issues. I have updated all drivers (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, i7-3770 8core @3.5 GHz) and its still just randomly crashing and then saying WoW is corrupted and to scan/repair. Then its a game of russian roulette. It might work, it might not. Addons are not the issue, it happens with or without them. (tested for validity) I have WoW.exe, WoW Launcher exe, and Bnet all set to Admin privs.

ALL of this started when Blizz started pushing the downloads for Shadowlands Prepatch. So what happened? What broke?

If you need some sort of logs for diagnosis, I would be more than happy to get them, but I do need advice on how to get them in an easy to read format.

Hey Draxnez,

What you’re describing sounds like it could be related to this issue with the in-game download constantly showing for some players. The install getting corrupted seems to be the cause for that issue, and our Quality Assurance team has been looking into that. We don’t need any new logs at the moment.

Since you’re getting a new SSD soon I’d recommend to do a fresh install of WoW there, and hopefully the install issues should be ironed out soon.

First off Jambrix, Id like to thank you for your quick response, I didnt expect a bluepost so soon, but it means a lot that you saw this and replied.

That is exactly what my plan was, a good solid WD is only like 50$ off amazon with full warranty.

I dont meant to pester or bug, but if QA could pick up the pace on that, it would be swell. This is causing BSoD’s left and right for myself and many other users, POSSIBLY causing irreparable damage to many peoples PC’s filestructures that will result in an F-disc wipe to fix.

Hey again,

The in-game download issue and install corruption issue have not been causing BSODs or system crashes. The most we’ve seen it cause is a drop in FPS or longer load times, and a corrupt install would not cause BSOD or system-level crashes. The file corruption issue is what the QA team is investigating.

You did not mention BSODs in your original post, so it sounded like you were just having issues with the game files becoming corrupt and the game slowing down because of that.

BSODs are a completely different issue that would require troubleshooting beyond just reinstalling WoW (which is the temporary fix for the corrupt install issue). We’re not able to directly assist with troubleshooting BSOD crashes, but we do have some basic troubleshooting that may help.

Blue Screen Crashes in Blizzard Games

You’re joking right? You can’t honestly say with 100% certainty “This issue is not supported by Blizzard Customer Service as it is not caused by a Blizzard product.” without even LOOKING at your code. Literally every single game I can play for hours on end, including Beat Saber and Skyrim in full VR, but heaven forbid I play WoW on the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS since yall flubbed things up back in JANUARY (Oh yes, I am well aware how long this has been going on for others) for more than an hour without getting a system crash. I just was lucky enough for the effects to not strike me until all this prepatch crap started. All drivers up to date, all updates installed for Win10, all hardware installed correctly and tested for voltage verification. Everything in the system is immaculate now that the new SSD is installed. If the issues persist I will recontact.